8 more AFL players caught up in drugs scandal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the last bit was a piss take,yeah I tried some whoopee weed once it made me want to sleep.
The other blokes were carrying on loonies,they claimed I must have smoked some crap weed,my reply was **** off it was the same joint you wankers.

As another season approaches, checked with my source about the eight and definitely fair dinkum, asked him how he knew about it, his business partner is also a player manger of AFL players. The AFL have kept things quiet, and I can't imagine why players who have the toughest training regime in any football code would want anything in their body which wasn't beneficial to them.

So WEAL, were the 8 caught for doing coke or were steroids detected?
Any idea which clubs they play for?

Edit: I'm assuming steroids were detected, but just seeing if the story has changed over time, etc

Would suggest what happened with Essendon players that players could be given drugs in there food as a betting scam.

I think coke and ice and e's are an issue, there not performance enhancing so this is the old 3 strike policy (I think a tuck is the only one done fo that ?)

not that I've tried any, but they say coke gives you the same "high" as grog not no hangover.

I believe it leaves the system fairly quickly too, funny world when you make comparisons with grog, probably more dangerous than coke. (if one doesn't control the consumption) And coke isn't a class A carcinogen

Cocaine is a WADA prohibited substance to have in your body on game day (or 'in competition'). If its detected at other times it falls under the AFL's anti-drugs code (which is the three strikes policy as mentioned).

Edit: a couple of Collingwood players got busted this time last year by snorting coke that was cut with the performance enhancing drug (PED) clenbuterol ('clen' for short). Apparently they had no idea the clen was present. The coke cleared their system quicker than the clen which was detected after a routine urine sample taken by ASADA a few days later. Reading the footy forums at the time many questions were raised as to why the coke was cut with clen, because clen is more expensive than coke. So why use it to cut the coke? Did the coke supplier trick them into taking coke that was laced with a PED. There was also the question of whether the presence of clen in the coke gives a bigger high.

Clen is also a bronchodilator with similar effects to ephedrine - hence its use with folks with chronic breathing disorders like asthma, but more notorious with the narcissistic as a weight loss drug.
Its also rather expensive in itself, so it seems odd when a more common cutting agent lidocaine ( local anesthetic) is so much cheaper.
Cutting coke with clen sounds like a good recipe for a psycotic episode followed by a stroke or heart attack.
You just cant trust anybody these days.

I am more inclined to think they weren't being totally honest, someone else who got caught with clenbuterol and claimed it had been fed to the cattle of which the steak they had just eaten had come from.
When I was active in the sporting arena I wouldn't even have a beer never mind anything else that was going around, its just to hard to fathom why they would do it, there are plenty of ways to get highs without turning to drugs or alcohol.

The rumour (and only that) at the time the two Collingwood players got done was that about half a dozen players were involved in the same snort fest at the St Kilda festival. But only Keefe and Thomas got done because they were the only players randomly tested. The episode has rammed home that so-called party drugs are potentially career-ending if they contain something that falls under the WADA code.

Dave70 said:
Cutting coke with clen sounds like a good recipe for a psycotic episode followed by a stroke or heart attack.
You just cant trust anybody these days.
God its good to be old......I am so old I can remember when your local drug dealer was somebody you could trust.

I'd hate to be young, can't trust anybody anymore.

They blamed the steak that they ate, and wanted it tested, they were in NZ at the time, I have to laugh thinking of Rich Hall talking of horse meat being found in a meat dish in Ikea, and he said 'Whats the world coming to when you can't take your family for a meal in a furniture store'

wide eyed and legless said:
I am more inclined to think they weren't being totally honest, someone else who got caught with clenbuterol and claimed it had been fed to the cattle of which the steak they had just eaten had come from.
When I was active in the sporting arena I wouldn't even have a beer never mind anything else that was going around, its just to hard to fathom why they would do it, there are plenty of ways to get highs without turning to drugs or alcohol.
Oh yeah? Name one fifty..

AJS2154 said:
God its good to be old......I am so old I can remember when your local drug dealer was somebody you could trust.

I'd hate to be young, can't trust anybody anymore.

At the rate these YOLO youngsters are lapping up toxins these days 30 will be the new 60 shortly anyway.

Dave70 said:
At the rate these YOLO youngsters are lapping up toxins these days 30 will be the new 60 shortly anyway.
For those who aren't across the cool terms (like Dave obviously is)......YOLO means you only live once. I know, beacuse I just looked it up in the urban dictionary.

You are on fire this afternoon mate, must be relaxed with the impending weekend just around the corner.

I am off to watch the Super 18 rugby. No drugs in that sport.

It wasn't that long ago that the worst it got was the back pages of the paper saying that some footy player was on the booze or the fags. My uncle missed out on a berth in a grand final in Adelaide in the '60s because of this (and he still denies it).

Latest posts

Back