8 more AFL players caught up in drugs scandal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give it a few years and they will eventually drop the case, just like the previous ASADA scandal.

ATk8YTV.jpg

How does anyone expect these kind of people with all that money and so much spare time not to do drugs?
And why does it matter?

indica86 said:
How does anyone expect these kind of people with all that money and so much spare time not to do drugs?
And why does it matter?
so Lance Armstrong should have been left alone ?

mxd said:
so Lance Armstrong should have been left alone ?
He committed serious fraud. These people are just the aussie version of "jocks"/

Sounds like 1 each of the season openers featured. Close to being named.

Recreational drugs ? What a load of crap.
Legal or illegal,no middle ground.
Blah blah.....

Bollocks spog. If it's illegal and they get busted, they should get the same punishment as any other citizen* but to put smoking a joint or doing a line of coke on a par with deliberate cheating is ridiculous.

*Total other issue the legality of one (eg. alcohol) vs another (eg. peyote) which I won't get into here.

and keep in mind that testing for illicit drugs in the afl is voluntary, so all these players could avoid scrutiny by saying no to testing.

manticle said:
Recreational vs performance enhancing.
no the ones were referring to are performance, it may have been laced in there illegal drugs,

Ice can be classed as a performance as the ones using it "feel invincible" can run through the pain etc..

jc64 said:
and keep in mind that testing for illicit drugs in the afl is voluntary, so all these players could avoid scrutiny by saying no to testing.
no it's not. they will be tested, they can just self report.

mxd said:
no the ones were referring to are performance, it may have been laced in there illegal drugs,

Ice can be classed as a performance as the ones using it "feel invincible" can run through the pain etc..
If it's banned for being PE and they get caught using it, then they've been busted cheating, whatever the vehicle.

I think that the point is when an organisation such as the AFL check for and discover illegal substance use in a player, it should be reported to the authorities, otherwise wouldn't they (the AFL) be guilty of obstructing the course of justice, they can't put themselves in a position of judge and jury and condoning the use of cocaine as long as it hasn't been cut with a performance enhancing drug.

manticle said:
Bollocks spog. If it's illegal and they get busted, they should get the same punishment as any other citizen* but to put smoking a joint or doing a line of coke on a par with deliberate cheating is ridiculous.
*Total other issue the legality of one (eg. alcohol) vs another (eg. peyote) which I won't get into here.
I am sure that the AFL drug policy covers All drugs, even prescription and over the counter.
A player smoking whoopey weed and snorting coke if caught would be disciplined , it's the annoying titles like " recreational and illicit " that the media uses to report such things that gets me.
It's seems to take the seriousness away from the true term illegal as well as it being a breach of contract of those doing it, Mentor is another term used.
A mentor doing recreational drugs is the wrong message to kids who look up too them.
Drugs are drugs, but to me they have either one or the other title....legal or illegal.
Whoopey weed has to a PE drug, the bloke smoking it is flying higher than the rest and will be able to take the speccie marks, and winning mark of the year,getting a car or whatever for doing so.... ;)

Either that last line was tongue in cheek or you have never smoked Spog. Hard to tell with you at times.
I woul have thought by now this would have been reported if true. If we are talking about it here, you could guarantee there are reporters who are onto it.

Im having doubts about the validity of this story now.

Perhaps it is stemming from the GC Suns story? Sounds like the cops are about to pull the trigger on a few of those boys plus some extra Titans.

Pretty sure spog was taking the piss on that last bit.

Why they are supposed to be role models is beyond me. Half of them are still kids themselves.
We never expected our rock stars to be so clean cut (although that's an area people seem keen to sanitise as well).

Yeah figured that was the case.

It isn't up to us to determine if they are role models- fact is kids look up to and idolise sports stars so they are role models, both good and bad.

The problem is in days gone by the media didnt report every footy player that got pissed or had a smoke. Now footy is big business and sells a lot of copy so the scrutiny on them to behave is huge. It is what it is and if they want to have a long career then it is just a fact that they will have to watch what they do.

Personally I reckon it is bullshit- Jono Thurston from the Cowboys (sorry for the league reference but it is all we get up here) is one of the most stand up guys in league. A few years a go he got on the turps and locked himself out of his unit , just like almost every other young bloke has done. So he has a kip on the lawn and ends up getting nicked by some over zealous walloper who thought he would have a great coffee room story for his mates about arresting a celeb. The papers had a field day saying how he is a bad influence on the kiddies. The same rag that runs photos of him near on every day singing his praises as the local footy saviour.

Fact is the media (and many cops alike) are arseholes looking to up themselves by shitting on a sports star and that is how it is and these kids had better get used to it or be prepared to be shat on.

Latest posts

Back