$75 For 500g Amarillo!?!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tooheys and hops in the same sentence? Thats called an oxymoron is'nt it?

It's a hops conspiracy. The brewers make special batches for everyone in their secret club with fresh hops. The remaining hops sludge is left to age in a large vat with old socks, then refined in to Tooheys New isohops :(

I sympathise ;)

I think I know where you got the hops from; damn that place is soooo expensive for just about everything!

I looked into getting a few things from there for my keg setup that I wanted to do this weekend, ended up holding out for eBay instead at less than half the price, or the site sponsors.

Cheers
DK

We don't do too bad compared to the UK-
* 25kg Marris Otter is 33.50 (A$69) in the UK versus A$78 here from a site sponsor
* 100g of Challenger hops is 5.75 (A$11.80) versus A$7.50 for 90g from a site sponsor

Perhaps I haven't found the UK equivalent of Ross.

Speaking of good prices, I notice that 1/3 of Ross's liquid yeast has sold out. Get it while its hot.

Many of the UK brewers get very good deals thorugh their local brewery's both craft and in some cases megabrwers, and get yeast for free, hops for bugger all, but I think mostly have to pay a fair bit for grain

The price rises certainly are a joke. Somebody is making a lot of money and somehow I don't think its the growers...

Only 6 months ago Gerard at ND Brewing was selling Amarillo for $25 for 500g.

...& the wholesaler he bought off is now charging over double that ;)

We are making less margin on our hops today than we did when we started 2 years ago. Australia has some of the cheapest hops in the world right now - We ship Amarillo, Cascade, Simcoe etc every week to the States. We also regularly ship UK hops to England...

cheers Ross

Only 6 months ago Gerard at ND Brewing was selling Amarillo for $25 for 500g.

I reckon I got out of the Home-Brew business at the right time. Amarillo is an expensive hop at the best of times. I reckon it is an over the-top-price, & an over-rated hop!
Good luck guys :p
Gerard

I have no trouble paying an appropriate price for hops.
Our brews still end up considerably cheaper than commercial stuff and, IMHO, heaps better.
Having said that, I wouldn't pay that much for Amarillo. I'm one of those (probably in the minority) who just doesn't really like that hop but, then again, each to their own.

Droughts/floods /fuel you name it and hops will be going up in price plus grain no doubt.Just hope it comes down when the seasons are kinder.
Also pays to shop around.

Cheers
Big D

May even just be plain old Capitalism !!!

Pumpy

Yeah,

I wonder how many tonnes of "unwanted" hops are dumped each year??

cheers

Darren

"Ever Get The Feeling You've Been Cheated", quote Johnny Rotten

220px_Sex_Pistols.jpg

Was told today that the price of amarillo had just increase to to over $100/kilo wholesale, saw the invoice.
I will start selling my amarillo by the pellet on eBay. :)

that's ok,

I just went to get my brew stuff ready for tomorrow - need approx 100grams of Amarillo, not a problem as I have about a Kilo in the freezer compartment of the fermentation fridge - So I go to measure out the required amounts and what do you know - there is a massive bloody mold growth in the container............

Seriously, the brew gods really do not want me brewing tomorrow - Maybe it has something to do with the pope in town........

Nothing is going to stop me from brewing tomorrow - As long as the garage doesn't burn down tonight.

I just went to get my brew stuff ready for tomorrow - need approx 100grams of Amarillo, not a problem as I have about a Kilo in the freezer compartment of the fermentation fridge - So I go to measure out the required amounts and what do you know - there is a massive bloody mold growth in the container............

That's what a 60min boil is for....

...& the wholesaler he bought off is now charging over double that ;)

We are making less margin on our hops today than we did when we started 2 years ago. Australia has some of the cheapest hops in the world right now - We ship Amarillo, Cascade, Simcoe etc every week to the States. We also regularly ship UK hops to England...

cheers Ross

Just make sure you keep stocks for us Aussie boys Ross, I agree with the others that think amerillo is over rated, taste a bit odd all by itself if you ask me.

cheers

Browndog

Latest posts

Back