$75 For 500g Amarillo!?!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincleanoff

Kings Cross Brewery
Reaction score
Just paid $75 for 500g of Amarillo!!!

Is it expensive everywhere or did I go to the wrong place?

450g at Craftbrewer is $40.50 + a few dollars for postage.

Edit: Grain and Grape charge $79 for a kilo (+ postage) and Gryphon Brewing charge $35 for 450g

Just paid $75 for 500g of Amarillo!!!

Is it expensive everywhere or did I go to the wrong place?

Ummmmm.... why?

When hops start costing that much... time to change beer styles.

Cheers - Snow

I am sure we can find a way to blame Ross for the world hop crisis, ******* ;)

Steve

At least one of the site sponsors has it for $9 per 90 grams which $100/kg compared to your rate of $150/kg.

Hops are definitely going up, but it sounds like someone is taking the piss.

The price rises certainly are a joke. Somebody is making a lot of money and somehow I don't think its the growers...

Only 6 months ago Gerard at ND Brewing was selling Amarillo for $25 for 500g.

Glad I planted all those hop rhizomes a few years back... I could be sitting on a gold mine!

I know a HB Shop in Newcastle that sells hops for around half the prices quoted above to mash brewers <_<

Steve

damn, $75 for 500g, compared to $79 for a kilo at GandG?!

Think I should ask for my money back? doubling the price is a bit unfair...

damn, $75 for 500g, compared to $79 for a kilo at GandG?!

Think I should ask for my money back? doubling the price is a bit unfair...

Perhaps your local guy doesn't have the same buying power as the site sponsors or perhaps he has bigger overheads etc.

Droughts/floods /fuel you name it and hops will be going up in price plus grain no doubt.Just hope it comes down when the seasons are kinder.
Also pays to shop around.

Cheers
Big D

I know Tooheys are struggling big time just trying to get enough hops for the coming year - world wide supply is very low, thus the prices go up and with Australia being a very small market, we do not exactly get great pricing

That doesn't sound right. Australia is a nation that drinks a shitload of beer. 4th in the world (I've seen mentioned in a few places).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...tion_per_capita

You would think that would end up creating a bit more demand, and buying power.
800px-Map_of_world_by_beer_consumption.png

That doesn't sound right. Australia is a nation that drinks a shitload of beer. 4th in the world (I've seen mentioned in a few places).

Image:Map_of_world_by_beer_consumption.png

yes, per capita. Remember, we have 20million, China and India have over 1 billion. I bet a fair bit more beer is drunk there everyday, than in Australia

with Australia being a very small market, we do not exactly get great pricing

We don't do too bad compared to the UK-
* 25kg Marris Otter is 33.50 (A$69) in the UK versus A$78 here from a site sponsor
* 100g of Challenger hops is 5.75 (A$11.80) versus A$7.50 for 90g from a site sponsor

Perhaps I haven't found the UK equivalent of Ross.

Speaking of good prices, I notice that 1/3 of Ross's liquid yeast has sold out. Get it while its hot.

Yes but per capita, and there just aren't that many of us in world terms...
The US has something in the region of 5 times our population (I think, don't quote me)

There are more people in London on a working day than in the whole of Australia...
(I read that somewhere, I can't vouch for it, except that there certainly seemed to be most of them on the tube :(...)

yes, per capita. Remember, we have 20million, China and India have over 1 billion. I bet a fair bit more beer is drunk there everyday, than in Australia

Thanks for the correction. I've been on the computer so long this week my brain is all foggy...

So, we're basically number 4 in the world for beer binge drinking? :)

I know Tooheys are struggling big time just trying to get enough hops for the coming year - world wide supply is very low, thus the prices go up and with Australia being a very small market, we do not exactly get great pricing

Tooheys and hops in the same sentence? Thats called an oxymoron is'nt it?

Back