3rd Biab Attempt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whirlpool for 10 minutes if you want, it will get a bit less trub matter in the cube. Why not strain in to the fermenter though? The wort is cool then, and the additional aeration can only help.

My 2c...

I do biab but never whirlfloc / whirlpool.
The moment I turn the power off, the wort goes into the cube.

Have done about 12 no chills now.

The whole cube goes into the fermenter later, every drop.

I make light beer (3.2%), so theres nowhere to hide off flavours.

I primary at least 7 days, secondary 7 days, add finings and cold chill for at least 5 days.

My beers taste very clean, and are crystal clear.

I have yet to see evidence where the trub causes a problem.

Yes, theres more gunk in the bottom of my fermenter, but has no affect on flavour.

Maybe just try this approach once, and see if its worth the whirlflocing etc.

I thinks its probably just as important to get the wort into the cube HOT for sterilization, without letting it cool a bit while it whirlpools and settles.

cheers :)

Edit: Yes, I run silicone hose, to bottom of cube as well. Silicone hose is the home brewers friend. 2 metres of 3/8 and 2 metres of 1/2 will make your brewing experience much nicer.

I actually transferred straight after flameout on my first brew by mistake. I cold condition but dont use finings. Will do a search on them to see what to use how much etc and give your method a go for next time.

Thanks heaps for the helpful information.

strain it through a teatowel lined colander into a different vessel after you have sealed your cube

can someone make a rageface of this?

I transfer as much of my kettle as I can get or will fit into my cube

I use a stainless steel siphon starter and some silicon tubing

http://www.gryphonbrewing.com.au/store/pro...products_id=348

I can generally siphon down to the last mm or two of the kettle.

This means I end up with more trub in the bottom of my cube (willow 20L jerrys)

About 3cm or so.

I used to dump it all into the fermenter, but now I just pour off the clear wort, and when it starts running dark I stop. Now I get a nice clean yeast layer in the bottom of the fermenter, 1-1.5L worth after kegging, and basically toss out 2L from the cube instead of from the fermenter.

Basically 22-23L into cube, 20L into fermenter, 19L into keg.

The 2L or so of kettle trub I have left over I refrigerate, pour off about 1L of clear wort and use to make a starter.

Truman,

I think that this H.S.A could probably be somewhat likened to a mythical creature. Everyone homebrewing is shit scared of it, but like bigfoot and the lochness monster no-one can produce more than sweet f*ck all proof that it exists or can be tasted in the final product.

In my 3rd BIAB I will purposely massively aerate my hot wort into my no chill cube and will report back findings. Probably will schedule this brew day somewhere in Dec, so by Jan my report will be in.

Cheers,
D80

There are some brewing podcasts around regarding HSA, and the general consensus (from memory) was that its only an issue in breweries with multi story pipework etc, and not to be worried too much about in home brewing.

In saying that, I always still try to avoid it, doesnt take any extra effort or cost.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but i don't think Truman is talking about actual HSA in post 37. What he means is 'splashing the wort into the no chill cube', which is not HSA. Hot side ends as soon as the flame/element is turned off.

I think what Goomba actually meant (post 36) was straining your wort from the cube into the fermenter, not from the kettle into the cube.

Ahh Shite!

After reading this thread I now realise that I have beendoing it all wrong Formulating a recipe, making the wort, fermenting it, bottlingit and enjoying it!

Now I know that I should be worrying about all sorts ofthings like: the OG was 1.051 instead of the predicted 1.052 that the hallowedsoftware said I must get, what am I going to do? Is my beer now ruined? Will ittaste shite? Will it be infected? I hope not as I always practice safe brewingby wearing a condom to prevent infections. Shite! I boiled the wort for 15 minswhile squeezing my scrotum for maximum efficiency and some extractions Whatwill the other brewers think of me? Fark, the South Easterly was blowing today,that'll ruin the brew for sure!

Now that my eyes have been opened my lovely APA, Bitter andStout won't be lovely any more because I have the knowledge that I didn't putin all that extra worry, stress and effort

Seriously dude, go and look up "The Golden Rule of HomeBrewing" that is the single best way you can improve your brew.

Cheers,
Stagwa

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but i don't think Truman is talking about actual HSA in post 37. What he means is 'splashing the wort into the no chill cube', which is not HSA. Hot side ends as soon as the flame/element is turned off.

I think what Goomba actually meant (post 36) was straining your wort from the cube into the fermenter, not from the kettle into the cube.

Yeh he may have meant that. I pitch in my cube though and although Superoo says in his post that it is only a problem with larger breweries I, like him, try to avoid splashing the hot wort around anyway.

Ahh Shite!

After reading this thread I now realise that I have beendoing it all wrong… Formulating a recipe, making the wort, fermenting it, bottlingit and enjoying it!

Now I know that I should be worrying about all sorts ofthings like: the OG was 1.051 instead of the predicted 1.052 that the hallowedsoftware said I must get, what am I going to do? Is my beer now ruined? Will ittaste shite? Will it be infected? I hope not as I always practice safe brewingby wearing a condom to prevent infections. Shite! I boiled the wort for 15 minswhile squeezing my scrotum for maximum efficiency and some extractions… Whatwill the other brewers think of me? Fark, the South Easterly was blowing today,that'll ruin the brew for sure!

Now that my eyes have been opened my lovely APA, Bitter andStout won't be lovely any more because I have the knowledge that I didn't putin all that extra worry, stress and effort…

Seriously dude, go and look up "The Golden Rule of HomeBrewing" that is the single best way you can improve your brew.

Cheers,
Stagwa

Can I have what ur drinking?! Pretty please :)

PS: nm

Yeh he may have meant that. I pitch in my cube though and although Superoo says in his post that it is only a problem with larger breweries I, like him, try to avoid splashing the hot wort around anyway.

Yep - if you no chill, it'll be from the cube to the fermenter, for chillers like me - it'll be from kettle to fermenter.

Goomba

Ahh Shite!

After reading this thread I now realise that I have beendoing it all wrong Formulating a recipe, making the wort, fermenting it, bottlingit and enjoying it!

Now I know that I should be worrying about all sorts ofthings like: the OG was 1.051 instead of the predicted 1.052 that the hallowedsoftware said I must get, what am I going to do? Is my beer now ruined? Will ittaste shite? Will it be infected? I hope not as I always practice safe brewingby wearing a condom to prevent infections. Shite! I boiled the wort for 15 minswhile squeezing my scrotum for maximum efficiency and some extractions Whatwill the other brewers think of me? Fark, the South Easterly was blowing today,that'll ruin the brew for sure!

Now that my eyes have been opened my lovely APA, Bitter andStout won't be lovely any more because I have the knowledge that I didn't putin all that extra worry, stress and effort

Cheers,
Stagwa

Umm..I never once said my OG is out OMG what to do?? My first posts on this thread were about airspace and whirlpooling and both were answered. A comment was made about my eob sg being lower than my preboil sg and I gave the reasons why I thought that was so, which was confirmed and answered by RdeJvun.

Im really sorry though, I actually thought this forum was for beginner partials/AG where we could ask questions that beginners ask and get answers.
Which so many helpful people were happy to do.

Im sorry that Im not of the chuck it in, ferment it, bottle it and drink it club and that I actually want to learn more about brewing than just drinking beer.

Im sorry that Im not of the chuck it in, ferment it, bottle it and drink it club and that I actually want to learn more about brewing than just drinking beer.

Haha, how ironic, 424 posts since July getting heaps of good replies but clearly you need to learn more!

Learn on....

Latest posts

Back