37 Litre Round Eskys

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barramundi

Mash or be mashed....
Reaction score
Rays have a sale on till the 11th and have the round 37 litre eskys for $40 , would make a great mash tun for anyone in the market for one ...

NO AFFILIATIONS ...

Rays have a sale on till the 11th and have the round 37 litre eskys for $40 , would make a great mash tun for anyone in the market for one ...

NO AFFILIATIONS ...

Excellent mash tun and at $40.00 grab yourself one

Batz

Cheers Ned

On my way fist thing in the morning.
Were these the ones that normally retail for about $100?

yeah they normally sell for $99 , ill probably grab myself one later in the week , went in there today to buy a swag , so hands were full and wallet was empty ....

that is a really good price. Mine has been in action a few years now and is showing no signs of failing. A good SS false bottom and valve and all is good. Snap these up people wanting to upgrade their mash or make the jump to AG. I have a few mates putting together their equip and they would love that price!

OK, just went out for a lunchtime stroll and bought mine! This $40 bargain includes a small 4.5L cooler box and a 3.7L water jug. This is marked down from $100.

However... I guess you get what you paid for. I doubt it is of the same quality as the rubbermaid / coleman ones. It seems fairly lightweight, and the lid is hollow. I'm thinking of getting the self-expanding foam to fill it. I'm not sure but the walls might need it also. Any other ideas to improve it?

Has anyone got any experience using these ones from Rays? Do they lose much temperature for a 60-90 minute mash?

Andrei

Just got mine from Rays but didnt get the other stuff with it.

Took the tap out and had a quick look inside the walls.
It appears to have styrofoam around as an insulating medium.

at that price they could be used as fermenters too yeah?

OK, just went out for a lunchtime stroll and bought mine! This $40 bargain includes a small 4.5L cooler box and a 3.7L water jug. This is marked down from $100.

However... I guess you get what you paid for. I doubt it is of the same quality as the rubbermaid / coleman ones. It seems fairly lightweight, and the lid is hollow. I'm thinking of getting the self-expanding foam to fill it. I'm not sure but the walls might need it also. Any other ideas to improve it?

Has anyone got any experience using these ones from Rays? Do they lose much temperature for a 60-90 minute mash?

Andrei

Andrei
i wrapped and glued my tun in camping mat, which has helped keep temps stable.
$5 or so for the mat and approx $7 for the heat resistant glue.
been on there around 2 years now, with constant hosing etc and it hasnt budged or peeled a bit.

brewrig.jpg

Andrei
been on there around 2 years now, with constant hosing etc and it hasnt budged or peeled a bit.

KoNG, did you do anything to the lid?

I used camping mat to improve my current esky mashtun, but I attached it with lots of duct tape - the glue sounds a little better. I also cut out a rectangle of camp mat to sit on top of the mash. I'll probably do something similar here...

Andrei

I bought one of these a few months back to use as a HLT. The plastic inner of the esky is very thin, and when you remove the esky tap and install the valve, there is a heap of movement. This was a little disconcerning, but it has held up for about 10 brews. The polystyrene insulation gives off some pretty strong odours when its hot. These things are built to a price and definately not in the same league as a rubbermaid!
Cheers
Juddy

KoNG, did you do anything to the lid?

I used camping mat to improve my current esky mashtun, but I attached it with lots of duct tape - the glue sounds a little better. I also cut out a rectangle of camp mat to sit on top of the mash. I'll probably do something similar here...

Andrei

oh yep... i drilled 2 holes either side wall and filled it with expanding foam.
My esky is a Macca's Igloo though.

Andrei

View attachment 19026

What is the heat resistant glue called & where can you get it from ?

Cant recall the name now sorry.!
grabbed it from Cunnings, it was rated to 90*C or there abouts and came in the cylinders used in a caulking gun(?)
A few minutes browsing the shelves should have you sorted.

+1 for the Igloos!

Mine gave me a few years of great service until I decided I needed more capacity and went to a stainless vessel.

Still doing great duty with RobW. B)

KoNG... that chair looks too nice for brewing purposes. :lol:

Warren -

OK,

have any of you other bargain hunters used your cheap eskys in anger yet?

I chucked about 10L boiling water in mine to see its performance. Lost around 10c over an hour but it wasn't a fair test - the lid popped out due to the air above the water expanding (its a tight seal at least!). It had a strong plastic-y smell as well. I tasted the water - there was a slight plastic taste to it, but kind of like you get sometimes from water that's been in a plastic water bottle a long time. This concerns me a little...

If you've used you esky, how did it go? Pleased with it?

Andrei

I picked one up last week, used it on the weekend, and seemingly had only a 2 degree drop over the 60min sac rest. It compares well to the 20L rubbermaid i had been using, but holds heaps more :D

I did give it a good clean prior though, and it seemed to eliminate the plastic-y smell/taste. The only thing i found was that my efficiency seemed to go down by ~5 points and the sparge took ages. I just think it's a change and I'll tweak it around in time to accommodate.

Maple.

Latest posts

Back