2x over the side immersion elements?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeggie

Reaction score
Thinking of going electric for the boil kettle. After reading the kegking element thread I'm a bit put off theirs...Where I live now I don't know any sparkys so dont
want to pay the earth to have someone install the 5star elements into the kettle.

I occasionally do double batches so was thinking of getting 2x OTS immersion elements (will run off seperate powerpoints / circuits)

Anyone doing this and give the thumbs up or thumbs down?

I am moving to this exact same setup.

I currently use one sometimes and it boils 30l no probs in an insulated pot. I think 2 would be good for 50 or even 60l batches as long as you insulate the pot.

So thumbs up.

Also 2 less holes in the pot.

I run a keg king element as well as an immersion element to ramp a double batch up to boil. Both 2200w run off seperate circuits. It can get pretty vigorous, so I switch one element on/off as needed.

I run 2 X OTS 2400W elements on my kettle ( 70l insulated pot), works fine, once at the boil I turn them down to @ 90% output via the PID that controls them. Makes the kettle very easy to clean plus I often chuck one in my urn (HLT) to speed up the heating if required. As noted you do need separate circuits, if the rest of your system is electric and you want to start a second mash whilst the first is boiling you will need more again.

Cheers guys, think its the way Ill go.

Im always chopping and changing so would like to prevent putting more holes in my 82l pots.

An update.

2 ots elements boiled 45l of wort in no time in my 50l double walled pot. Very violent boil.

From mash to boil in under 15 mins.

I think they would boil 60l no problem in a 70l pot if insulated.

Mark

Back