Wort Scorching, Element idea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

2 vessel (esky and keggle BIAB brewer here). Using a cheap kettle element from big W (2400W).

Last 3 batches have been triple or double batches. I have mash around 7-11kgs in a big esky to around 1.050-1.070. I then boil and dilute to target gravity with treated and boiled water. Reason I'm brewing so much beer- Poker nights. :party:

Depending on the beer and I have noticed a build up on the element and have resulted in either a brown, and latest (black) element. The latest batch, is looking like going down the drain. Slight hint of burnt flavour, which from my reading is going to be worsened post-fermentation.

So, considering I have done 50 brews in this setup with none of these issues, but lately upping the boil volume, I am assuming that the time it takes to reach boil allows a lot of proteins.etc to settle on the element.

My next option would be to stir as things boil and see if this makes a difference.

My other option would be to install another 1-2 elements (on different circuits obviously) and voltage regulate them. Therefore I believe that 2 elements, running not at full power will heat things up quickly with more heating surface area. But the actual element material will not be going as hot in the past. Ill try running both at say 70% power. Just using a SRC regulator.

The question for you smart buggers- Is this a stupid idea. Is there something I have overlooked?

Just to clarify, the element is being cleaned thoroughly in between batches. Usually the black stuff falls off nicely after I hit it with some oxalic acid overnight. I then hit it with pbw after 'to be sure'

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for the help :)

Back