2018 NSW State Comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will take the opposite side of this debate. You are not in a competition with other people. You are in a competition against the style guidelines. They are there .. no matter how good your brew tastes, if it does not meet the style guidelines, it is marked down, In a flight I judged, I tasted a ripper beer which did not meet the style (shouldn't have been entered into that style). Marked way down. You also have different judges at different competitions and marks can often vary. The point is, trust your judges to get the order correct .. best, next best, third best and forget the scores. Scores rarely matter. Read the judges notes and their reasons for why your brew missed out on guideline points. It is none of your business what other brewers scored. Enter more comps, come and judge beers and you will understand what I am saying. And do not gloat if you scored higher than someone else .. bad form, bad karma.

I am in 2 minds about this. we are a generally friendly, but competitive bunch. I like to see where my beers get in comparison to that ******* accomplished brewer that pipped me last year, gives you a point of reference, especially if you know they are a good brewer.
There is the saving of face of the people who missed the style, or ended up with an infected batch... but we should all be mature enough to accept that and do better next time.

I will take the opposite side of this debate. You are not in a competition with other people. You are in a competition against the style guidelines. They are there .. no matter how good your brew tastes, if it does not meet the style guidelines, it is marked down, In a flight I judged, I tasted a ripper beer which did not meet the style (shouldn't have been entered into that style). Marked way down. You also have different judges at different competitions and marks can often vary. The point is, trust your judges to get the order correct .. best, next best, third best and forget the scores. Scores rarely matter. Read the judges notes and their reasons for why your brew missed out on guideline points. It is none of your business what other brewers scored. Enter more comps, come and judge beers and you will understand what I am saying. And do not gloat if you scored higher than someone else .. bad form, bad karma.

No, I don’t think it’s about gloating. Seeing how your mates went gives you the opportunity to congratulate them on a beer that may not have placed but scored well. And if they didn’t score well you just keep quiet cause we’ve all brewed a few crookies over the years.

I suspect that in this PC day, it might also be a privacy matter, perhaps including a Publish/Don't Publish my results button in the registration, or even a third option Only Publish if I scored really really well and want to brag button!
Mark

I suspect that in this PC day, it might also be a privacy matter, perhaps including a Publish/Don't Publish my results button in the registration, or even a third option Only Publish if I scored really really well and want to brag button!
Mark
Yeah I see this being an issue in the future.

I am in 2 minds about this. we are a generally friendly, but competitive bunch. I like to see where my beers get in comparison to that ******* accomplished brewer that pipped me last year, gives you a point of reference, especially if you know they are a good brewer.
There is the saving of face of the people who missed the style, or ended up with an infected batch... but we should all be mature enough to accept that and do better next time.
This is exactly what i meant. I know my beers are scored to the style, i know how a comp works, imo it would fairly arrogant of me to enter a comp and not know how my beer was going to be judged. and for the record PC can go and get ..... :cheers:

I suspect naïve would be better than arrogant. Although I may share some of your views on PC, it would take a braver man than me to decide to ignore the accepted conventions, I just hate having to preface a sentence with "well your honour…." or even getting my in box full of abuse.
I think the easiest way is to give people choices, then they really cant complain too much about the consequences (at least not without looking like a bit of a prat).
This same conversation comes up every couple of years, I suspect it wont be resolved this time either. I also believe the way scores are reported may be a part of the T&C, which you clearly read to familiarise yourself with how comps work ;).
Mark

I suspect naïve would be better than arrogant. Although I may share some of your views on PC, it would take a braver man than me to decide to ignore the accepted conventions, I just hate having to preface a sentence with "well your honour…." or even getting my in box full of abuse.
I think the easiest way is to give people choices, then they really cant complain too much about the consequences (at least not without looking like a bit of a prat).
This same conversation comes up every couple of years, I suspect it wont be resolved this time either. I also believe the way scores are reported may be a part of the T&C, which you clearly read to familiarise yourself with how comps work ;).
Mark
Yes naive is a better word, I didnt mean
Mark
Yes, Naive would of been a better word. Its my lack of knowledge of pc wording at play;). I didnt intend to come across as arrogant as my reply sounds when i read it back either. Oops
:cheers:

Naive?, Arrogant?, Meh, who gives a ****, what's important right now is... did I win any category?

Thanks , but couldn't find any results or judging..
upload_2018-9-19_14-54-6.png

Holy crap guys and gals, of you're that keen to get your results on the day of judging, that's never going to happen. Just have a little patience, please.
As I said before, we had to manage over 400 beers/meads, so it's taking some time for the volunteers to deal with it all. I put in 2 full days of effort to assist the process, as did a large number of others. Mrs philrob wasn't really all that pleased to see me missing for a whole weekend.
You'll get your results as soon as we can get them out. We do not deliberately delay them in order to generate traffic on forums such as this.

The blokes (volunteers) from HUBs spent two 12 hour days last weekend and many prior in setting things up. I guess these ungrateful bastards should be shot for doing their day jobs these past few days and maybe even having an early night on Monday and Tuesday.

If I hear one more complaint from any prick that the results are not up yet within the next week, ******* help you escape my wrath.

I think you guys are overreacting... no one here is complaining about the results not being up. Just some first timers wondering where they get posted up once ready.

I’m with the big fella
The anticipation is the most exciting part of a competition like this & it should cost more to cover wages or at least a bonus for the volunteers time.

How exciting is it that a beer you’ve brewed at home & is up against the legends of brewing in Nsw (pro & amateur)

Enjoy the anticipation

Latest posts

Back