2018 NSW State Comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The comp is still running.
Calm down folks

Normally Monday arvo to Tuesday results are online. Which is pretty fast as the comp is still running now

Great job guys, a (mostly) well run comp ;)

Now just to sit back and await my awards...

Steward! Bring me my beer!

It's been a lot of work with well over 400 entries, with full on judging over 2 full days.
All the scores from 2 judges for each beer need to be collated, entered, etc etc, so it's quite a job.
Please have a little patience, the results will be published as soon as we can practicably do so.

Good Comp!
Lots of really excellent beers, on Sunday alone I handed out more 40+ scores than in the last 4-5 years of judging combined. Says a lot about the standards of the beers being entered, it's improving.
Only one seriously infected beer and a couple of Diacetyl bombs in 4 flights and more than a few beers that impressed.

Big ups and thanks to all involved, Organisation takes a lot of work, judges and stewards put in their time for free and travel at their own expense. Its always a great opportunity to catch up with brewers from all over the state that we often only see once a year.
If you aren't involved in comps at a local level, you should think about it, a chance to learn a lot and spend time with brewers, exchange ideas and even taste a few excellent beers, perhaps get some ideas for future brews...

I think a lot of those involved might be a complete waste of space today, results will be out soon, so chillax and give them a chance to get the results checked and sent.
Me I have a pile of 20 or so kegs that need cleaning enough coffee and I'm sure they will get done... eventually.
Mark

Thanks for the efforts of all the stewards, judges and everyone else involved. Really wish I could have gotten down there to take a look at how a comp gets run. Keenly awaiting some feedback on my first ever comp entries. But yeah, when the results are ready, they're ready.

I just realised I didn’t include my entry form with my labeled bottles, apologies for that, foolish on my part [emoji17] I didn’t really think of it as I’ve used similar format comp websites before where they just require the labeled bottle and the registration number provided is what they use for identification. Apologies again, and hope my beers got judged [emoji120]

Either way massive thanks to everyone involved in organising and putting on these competitions!

Cheers

I didnt intend my post to come across as impatient, apologies to all involved if it did.

Just new to these things and not sure how it worked.

I just realised I didn’t include my entry form with my labeled bottles, apologies for that, foolish on my part [emoji17] I didn’t really think of it as I’ve used similar format comp websites before where they just require the labeled bottle and the registration number provided is what they use for identification. Apologies again, and hope my beers got judged [emoji120]

Either way massive thanks to everyone involved in organising and putting on these competitions!

Cheers

I didn't either... I didn't think you had to?

I didnt intend my post to come across as impatient, apologies to all involved if it did.

Just new to these things and not sure how it worked.

Same, I was just curious as to how the results and feedback are returned. Some comps put it on the website, some post out the results by mail.

I'm in no rush. Thanks for everyone involved in the judging, website, etc etc...

Daz

The intention is to post results online ASAP (probably tomorrow), only prize winning entries will have the brewer identified by name, all other entries will be identified by bottle numbers.
Scoresheets will be mailed out mid-week so hopefully Entrants will recieve them by the end of the week.

That’s a shame that not everyone will be named. It’s always interesting to see how others went

That’s a shame that not everyone will be named. It’s always interesting to see how others went
I think it's a better system than naming all brewers. Rest assured, you'll know those who are impressed (and less than impressed) with their scores.

I originally signed up to steward Sunday arvo, but should be good for the whole day now. Should I register again, or just rock up at 8:30 and let someone know?
Was good to meet you Tom. You done good .. only way to learn is to throw you in the deep end. Looked like you enjoyed yourself?

No.

Was a good comp, well done HUBs. You should all be very proud of yourselves. Do it again next year!

Thanks FG, and thanks to the ESB people and others who did a stirling job too! Was good to finally meet you after seeing your name on here for the last 11 years. Good to meet barls as well.
I'm the old bugger who hobbled around on the Saturday, and sat behind the desk on Sunday.
By the way, the Coopers bottles got home safely.

Was good to meet you Tom. You done good .. only way to learn is to throw you in the deep end. Looked like you enjoyed yourself?
Thanks mate, loved it. Will definitely be signing up for the next one (and hopefully competing too). I think I tried at least 10 styles that I had never even heard of before!

I agree, i like comparing results with last year for all in the categories i entered.

I will take the opposite side of this debate. You are not in a competition with other people. You are in a competition against the style guidelines. They are there .. no matter how good your brew tastes, if it does not meet the style guidelines, it is marked down, In a flight I judged, I tasted a ripper beer which did not meet the style (shouldn't have been entered into that style). Marked way down. You also have different judges at different competitions and marks can often vary. The point is, trust your judges to get the order correct .. best, next best, third best and forget the scores. Scores rarely matter. Read the judges notes and their reasons for why your brew missed out on guideline points. It is none of your business what other brewers scored. Enter more comps, come and judge beers and you will understand what I am saying. And do not gloat if you scored higher than someone else .. bad form, bad karma.

Thanks FG, and thanks to the ESB people and others who did a stirling job too! Was good to finally meet you after seeing your name on here for the last 11 years. Good to meet barls as well.
I'm the old bugger who hobbled around on the Saturday, and sat behind the desk on Sunday.
By the way, the Coopers bottles got home safely.

Great to meet you philrob. Took home a crate myself and five boxes of plastic which the K &K brewers of Tuross Head have jumped all over. Always good to meet blokes you have "talked" to but never met.

Back