2018 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got it all this year for pests. Catapillars, whitefly, other tiny flying stuff that leaves streaks through the leaves of everything. Possums have found the hops darn it!. Snails and slugs in masses. Its amazing how fast things can go from hey wow gangbusters! to , oh shit what's all these things eating everything! :( Bit of a mongrel season this year for the garden....

Forgot to post the picture I got the other day, the latest harvest from the Cascade. It's got another small bunch of burrs on it now too.
IMG_20171207_104111.jpg

Mine have been devastated by white fly below the roof line but appear unharmed above it. I'm guessing it has to do with still air.

Little buggers, still air and humidity not a good combo. Mabye birds and the like are taking them out above the roof line too?

I've whacked the mites with some mitecide - seems to have done the trick. Interestingly the mites went for the old leaves on early bull-bines - (Dr Rudi and Tettnang), the varities which are slow starters and still with young leaves (Cascade, Goldings) have not been attacked. I sprayed them anyway ....

Saw these at Bulleen Art & Garden. Good to know PoR is still being reproduced and also Red Earth is available.

Can’t get growing hop plants past SWMBO though due to the little dog ruling the roost and risk of him eating the flowers [emoji34] Maybe one day...
IMG_7330.jpg

Saw these at Bulleen Art & Garden. Good to know PoR is still being reproduced and also Red Earth is available.

Can’t get growing hop plants past SWMBO though due to the little dog ruling the roost and risk of him eating the flowers [emoji34] Maybe one day...View attachment 110480

We have a dog that ate an entire bush of carolina reapers, but has a sniff of hops and runs with her tail between her legs. Have you seen how your dog reacts to pellets if you just hold out the bag or have them in your hand?

Cascade, trimmed all bines until start of November, then let three bines grow out. Continue to chop out new shoots weekly. That hot spell in Melbourne caused it to start flowering. 3rd year in the same spot. Had to go over to the neighbours and hack out the rhizome growth on their side. Was starting to shoot up and strangle their trees
2017-12-16 14.38.47.jpg

Can’t get growing hop plants past SWMBO though due to the little dog ruling the roost and risk of him eating the flowers [emoji34] Maybe one day...View attachment 110480
My dog has never shown any interest in my hops DJ. Is it the plant or the flowers that is dangerous to dogs?

I think the flowers but not certain, I know pellets are a worry being concentrated. Will see how he reacts to the smell but he usually eats anything I drop onto the floor before he even realises it’s food or not [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Cascades now sending out laterals. Fuggles seems to be getting thicker, more bush like but reluctant to climb still.

Anyone have much experience with Willamette? 3 years running now it grows like hell and is far ahead of my other hops. Then it just stops and doesn’t grow anymore.

My other hops keep growing, send out laterals, etc. Not my Willamette. Dead stop. Last year I tried cutting it back and got a small crop. I may have cut it back too late.

I do the standard cutting out of bull bines early on, and then selecting the strongest of the following bines, keeping to 8-10 bines per crown.

Is Willamette a variety that needs to be cut back to ground after first growth?

my first proper go

Tettnang courtesy of Danscraftbeer - thankyou!

and to whoever nicked the Hallertau that I had dibs on at the case-swap - may your garden be bountiful...of Triffids...

Burrs are out on my Saaz. Bit of a mixed bag with the first year rhizomes:

View attachment 110899 View attachment 110900
Love that garden, could grow some stuff in there.

A bit late in the season now but this year is the first time in about three or four years I have been able to fertilise with my own urine, best fertiliser you can get. Something to think about for next season when you want to give them a high nitrogen hit.

Yes I should affix some white material around the outside.

Wish it was my garden too, just a vacant plot at work. ..

my prize cascade,

Attachments

• cascade.jpg
    cascade.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 127
Could someone hazard a guess at how long until these cones will be at maturity?

I'd like to throw them in the whirlpool rather than dry them, so planning a brew day accordingly. My guess is 2-3 weeks, but don't have enough experience growing hops.

IMG_20180108_133538.jpg
IMG_20180108_133427.jpg

Latest posts

Back