2018 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Seems the liottle ladies are starting to think about reaching for the sky..

Here we go again

2018.JPG

Jeepers that's a bit of a head start, I'd better pull my finger out and start prepping up. I need to split some zomes to increase my crop size before they kick off.

I dug up chinook and Tettnang weeks(months) ago in preparation of moving super alpha into their spots, finally got around to it today. We're in the middle of winter so any early announcers will be chopped until at least October.

Seems to be some sort of yearly cycle going on with these hops.

Funny you should say that, I've noticed the same thing..

Should have said, I've split off a cascade rhizome if anybody wants to pick ot up?

Not posting

Hey Yob I would be keen for a cascade zome if you dont mind holding onto it till Saturday?

Have just planted a Victoria, Chinnok and have a super alpha on the way :)

I guess I better start taking a closer look at my plants to be ready for next season.

Last season I planted some cascade rhizomes, so it was just their first year. Planted in the ground (not pots) and with a couple of handfuls of roo poo in a shallow hole dug beneath each mound about a month before rhizomes were planted. I wasn't impressed by how they grew; an animal nibbled the ends of a lot of the growth so they didn't get particularly high (and no actual hops grew on them. One that I grew in a pot at a different location was far more impressive.

Anyway, I've left them all in the ground.

Should I dig them up to trim the roots? Or just leave them be?

How should I fertilise? Scatter some roo poo around at the surface? Switch to a liquid fertiliser? (which is what I used with my potted plant that ended up growing much better).

I guess I better start taking a closer look at my plants to be ready for next season.

Last season I planted some cascade rhizomes, so it was just their first year. Planted in the ground (not pots) and with a couple of handfuls of roo poo in a shallow hole dug beneath each mound about a month before rhizomes were planted. I wasn't impressed by how they grew; an animal nibbled the ends of a lot of the growth so they didn't get particularly high (and no actual hops grew on them. One that I grew in a pot at a different location was far more impressive.

Anyway, I've left them all in the ground.

Should I dig them up to trim the roots? Or just leave them be?

How should I fertilise? Scatter some roo poo around at the surface? Switch to a liquid fertiliser? (which is what I used with my potted plant that ended up growing much better).

I would not recommend fertilising until after they shoot.
Now is a good time to prepare some compost. Mushroom, horse, cow,goat , sheep shit what ever and chuck some blood and bone in with a bit of ash from the fire.

Just to clear up what I'm asking:

Last year I put roo poo in holes beneath each mound well before planting. I did that prep-work around August (from memory).

So I guess I'm wondering how to go about it this year considering the plants are in the ground. (and considering my potted plant went better than those in the ground).

Just to clear up what I'm asking:

Last year I put roo poo in holes beneath each mound well before planting. I did that prep-work around August (from memory).

So I guess I'm wondering how to go about it this year considering the plants are in the ground. (and considering my potted plant went better than those in the ground).

When I had mine in the ground at the last place I'd put a mixture of cow poo, chook poo, mushroom compost and anything else that looked like it improve the soil over the winter. The ground was quite sandy when I started but when I dug them up to move there were earth worms everywhere, that was good looking dirt and the hops were loving it.

Up, up and away...

The Whitebines from AJ80 are growing well despite my being away after planting.

I'll transfer them into the ground soon when I get the trellis sorted.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20170715_0001.png
    wp_ss_20170715_0001.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 265
The ground was quite sandy when I started but when I dug them up to move there were earth worms everywhere, that was good looking dirt and the hops were loving it.

About 15% sand really improves the drainage, which the hops love.

Up, up and away...

The Whitebines from AJ80 are growing well despite my being away after planting.

I'll transfer them into the ground soon when I get the trellis sorted.

Looking fantastic mate! Amazed to see them take off so fast. Everything is still very dormant here and no sign of anything poking through the mulch.

This is a shoot i cloned into a 12" pot last october. I went to check on it after viewing this thread.
It was firmly rooted into the ground so I had to root prune it a bit. Do these rhizomes look viable for planting this season (bottle opener for scale)
george_cloney.jpg
rooter.jpg

Looking fantastic mate! Amazed to see them take off so fast. Everything is still very dormant here and no sign of anything poking through the mulch.
Very happy with them, thanks AJ.
I kept them in the fridge for about 3 weeks before planting out. Our temperatures up here are 20+ already.

My crop of 5 varieties (Willamette, Tettnang, Pride of Ringwood, Chinook, Cascade) all had varying levels of success last year, they were all first year-ers. havent really given them any love over the autumn/winter. do you guys compost your spent grain ? would that be great to put on the hops?

Latest posts

Back