2018 Hop Plantations

Discussion in 'Hops' started by Yob, 9/7/17.

1. pcqypcqy

Posted 8/11/17
    Mine shot up quick, but have stalled short of a metre. These are all first year's.

I've put it down to lack of water, so I've finally set up my drip irrigation and am using the bath water through this system. Hopefully they'll come good.

I'm not expecting many flowersin the first year, but I would have thought the vines would climb a bit and put on plenty of leaves.

I'm also finding they're strugglying to grab onto the baling twine as well. A few of them I wrap around manually, but in a bit of wind they seem to fall off again.

Edit: Photos attached

Attached Files:

Last edited: 9/11/17
    JB likes this.
  2. koshari

Posted 9/11/17
    the cascade that has just today hit the top of the fence is a very strong bine, its climbing a bit of fencing wire but i suspect it would have clung to anything, its a pretty hearty bine,

[​IMG]

iam not putting the fuggles reluctance down to lack of water as they are all getting the same, the soil has always been moist when i have checked as there is a lot of straw in the pots to keep it damp.

JB likes this.
  3. pcqypcqy

Posted 9/11/17
    I took a look at mine today during lunch and noticed they're getting better at holding on now that they're getting proper water.

4. good4whatAlesU

Posted 12/11/17 at 9:27 PM
    A bit of a motley crew.

First year rhizomes in pots.

WP_20171113_08_00_03_Pro.jpg

JB and koshari like this.
  5. Mardoo

Noob What Craps On A Bit

Posted 12/11/17 at 10:06 PM
    Jeebus, one of my Victoria bines has already started burring out

Brewnicorn, JB and koshari like this.
  6. Danscraftbeer

Posted 14/11/17 at 8:31 AM
    I'm worried because mine are burring too on Red Earth, Goldings, Hallertau and just noticed developing cones on Tettnang.
    This is not good as I understand it. They have not got anywhere near the mass of last years growth. Mine never started to bur until well into January in which they got to grow out really well before flowering. What I understand is they basically stop, or slow to a crawl growing when they start flowering. They shouldn't start flowering before solstice I thought. Its shortening days that trigger it I thought.
    Anyone shed any light on this?
    Am I facing a poor yield because of this?

7. Rocker1986

Posted 14/11/17 at 8:50 AM
    I just picked another small harvest from my Cascade this morning, 96g wet this time so about 24/25g when dried properly. Still more to go, but no new burrs forming at the moment. It'll be interesting to see if they start flowering again after new years.

8. Mardoo

Noob What Craps On A Bit

Posted 14/11/17 at 10:32 AM
    It's possible a solid nitrogen hit could bump them back into growth phase. I've never tried it. Just keep the potassium low until just before burring, then do a foliar application or on the soil. Foliar application is spraying a dilute solution of potash on the leaves. Most liquid potash fertilisers have instructions on the bottle.

Mine are only burring on the tallest bine, the rest haven't reached the node threshold yet.

I can't answer your other questions, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure mine have burred before solstice, but haven't actually noticed.

9. captain crumpet

Posted 15/11/17 at 8:35 PM
    Flowering can occur early if there is too little nitrogen and too much phosphorus and or potassium present.

I haven't done it with hops but with other plants like tomatoes I will pull off all buds and keep up the nitrogen. They will stop flowering and go back into grow mode.

Speaking of light cycles, if your plants are dealing with too much shade at either end of the day you could be simulating different light cycle. Once again with other plants, when I've needed to identify sex of the plant I force into a shorter light exposure but usually by completely covering it.

Maybe a combination of both

Danscraftbeer and fungrel like this.
  10. Rocker1986

Posted 15/11/17 at 9:09 PM
    I suspect mine flowered so early because it grew so quickly. Only took about 4-5 weeks from the first shoot appearing for it to pretty much cover the whole trellis and try to escape to the nearby fence, complete with plenty of laterals too. The Hallertau has been a lot slower to grow but is starting to bush up more at ground level and has a few bines making their way up the lines. No burrs yet.

This is the second little harvest from the Cascade a couple of days ago

IMG_20171114_103335.jpg

Belgrave Brewer likes this.
  11. Belgrave Brewer

Home Page:
    Posted 15/11/17 at 9:16 PM
    Third year and strong growth here in VIC. Still training and cutting back, but also need to get back to yard maintenance. The heat this week really brought it on. Chinook is always the last out of the ground and first to hit the top wire.
    chinook_topwire_5m.jpg chinook.jpg victoria.jpg

12. Benn

Posted 17/11/17 at 4:15 AM
    IMG_6122.PNG
    ...Beautiful

Rocker1986 likes this.