2018 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They’ll stop vertical growth of their own accord if they can’t find anymore “up” to go. However, you can also clip them. The heat off that roof will likely kill off the growth tips and spur lateral growth, so you have a few options. Me, I have a highly trained pack of possums that take care of my growth tips once they reach the roofline.

Cascade plant has formed into a nice screen now. There are some clusters of cones on it towards the top but probably can't really see them in the pictures. The Hallertau plant in the other planter box isn't growing very fast at all, just one bine about a metre tall and a few others a bit above soil level so far. Maybe it didn't like being buried as much.
IMG_20171024_153456.jpg
IMG_20171024_153508.jpg

Cascade plant has formed into a nice screen now. There are some clusters of cones on it towards the top but probably can't really see them in the pictures. The Hallertau plant in the other planter box isn't growing very fast at all, just one bine about a metre tall and a few others a bit above soil level so far. Maybe it didn't like being buried as much. View attachment 109176View attachment 109177
Are you located in a warm region of Australia?

hes in QLD, and yes his bines are killing it compared to mine down if gippsland,

my fuggles were first out of the block but the cascade seem to be gaining/overtaking them now.

Yeah mate, up in Brisbane. The speed of it has surprised me though, I figured it would go well in its second year, given the size of the root system, but not this bloody quickly. I have to go back there today to grab my whippersnipper, so I'll snap a pic of the contrasting Hallertau plant next to it.

They’ll stop vertical growth of their own accord if they can’t find anymore “up” to go. However, you can also clip them. The heat off that roof will likely kill off the growth tips and spur lateral growth, so you have a few options. Me, I have a highly trained pack of possums that take care of my growth tips once they reach the roofline.

Ive got mine only going up about 1.2m from grow bed (2.4 off ground) - then was hoping they'd go across strings at about a 20 degree slope up. Am I dreaming? should I make them go higher vertically from the bed before going along the horizontal (slightly sloping up) strings?

you'll need to train them. if that's too hard they will keep going up then fall down under their weight, i would try and train them while the bines are young, older and you can snap or damage them. not that you cant damage younger bines, they are just easier to manipulate.

My understanding is that hops begin flowering after a certain number of nodes have grown, not a measure of vertical height. I’ve never tested it myself though. FWIW my hops attached to the guttering of our house grow at about a 45 degree angle and flower well. They have a 3.5 meter run at that angle. I also have vertically trellised hops. By the node notion, your 20 degrees should be fine.

Picked the first harvest from the Cascade on Monday, got 46g wet so probably about 12g dry. Still a number of comes on the plant not quite ready as well as more burrs forming. Hallertau is slowly growing up the lines now too

IMG_20171107_105341.jpg
IMG_20171105_125632.jpg
IMG_20171105_125614.jpg
IMG_20171105_125644.jpg

That's nuts, I'm in Brisbane and so far not even all of my plants have popped their heads up, seems very late and I think I may have let them get too dry over winter.

I'm wondering if that is why the Hallertau is slower as well, although it received the same amount of water over winter as the Cascade. I also have a Fuggle in a pot but it's done **** all, not even 30cm tall and it's third year hahaha

Rocker what's going on there? You harvested already in spring?
On my end here in vic i have burs on my Red Earth hops. That is not good in my understanding of plants once they convert to flowering stage (too early underdeveloped) they are a fail. Maybe hops are different I hope.
Premature conversion to flowering is a bad thing isn't it? Anyone wanting to chime in...?

My understanding is that hops begin flowering after a certain number of nodes have grown, not a measure of vertical height. I’ve never tested it myself though. FWIW my hops attached to the guttering of our house grow at about a 45 degree angle and flower well. They have a 3.5 meter run at that angle. I also have vertically trellised hops. By the node notion, your 20 degrees should be fine.

Pretty sure its like there cousin plant
Number of day light hours when they get shorter they flower

Pretty sure its like there cousin plant
Number of day light hours when they get shorter they flower
Yes that's the standard so why are my (Red Earth) hops burring now? Why have Rocker1986's Cascade already produced pickable cones?
:question:

I'm wondering if that is why the Hallertau is slower as well, although it received the same amount of water over winter as the Cascade. I also have a Fuggle in a pot but it's done **** all, not even 30cm tall and it's third year hahaha

Well that's weird: my Fuggles went apeshit, having broken the surface about 5 weeks ago the first one will reach the top of the trellis in the next day or so. The trellis is 5.5 metres so that's over a metre a week or about 15 cm / day. You can almost watch the buggers extend.

My fuggles have near stalled. they popped up strong and early compared to the cascade but now one of the cascades is nearly at the rop of the fence.

My Fuggles seem to have stalled too. They burst out of the ground pretty quickly about 6 to 8 weeks ago but now are only 20cm or so up the first trellis. My Chinook has only just been able to be trained around the trellis rope. I've been giving them some Seasol or Thrive every couple of weeks. Perhaps some warmer weather is needed?

Well that's weird: my Fuggles went apeshit, having broken the surface about 5 weeks ago the first one will reach the top of the trellis in the next day or so. The trellis is 5.5 metres so that's over a metre a week or about 15 cm / day. You can almost watch the buggers extend.
That's pretty much what my Cascade did. It popped up around September and within a month had a shitload of bines at the top of the trellis and burrs forming. Not sure what's wrong with the Fuggle. Hallertau is at least moving along now albeit slowly.

Back