2018 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, new to the forum and just about to move from wort kits to AG. I have a well established aquaponics system in SE Melb. Is it too late to plant hops?

Hey guys, new to the forum and just about to move from wort kits to AG. I have a well established aquaponics system in SE Melb. Is it too late to plant hops?
Probably not, I planted my first rhizomes about this time of year a couple of years ago and they did fine.

Go for it, they do very well. My AP Cascade harvest later than ground grown. 9th April was harvest last season.
You don't have any? SE Melb? May be getting late to find some. If your out of luck I actually have cuttings in small pots ready to go but you need to pick up from Frankston. There is 4 X Goldings. 2 X Red Earth. 1 X Cascade and 1 X Tettnang. PM me if your interested. These were established last season. Now kicked off and wanting to get out of those little pots and grow!
Dan.

Hop cuttings0.JPG

Mate that would be awesome! I'm just over in Pearcedale. I have 150 silver perch producing the good stuff and winter vegies are just about done.

P.O.R finally waking up.North East Vic. View attachment 108983

I put my POR in a raised planter last year and it's gone sick.. threw about 60 bines and is at about 8 foot now, definitely going to raise all the others at the end of this season, the difference between its growth and the others at ground level is huge.

i need to get a shade cloth up, mine got a bit of a buzz yesterday and there are some sad wilted leaves on my bines today :( it isn't even november yet.

i need to get a shade cloth up, mine got a bit of a buzz yesterday and there are some sad wilted leaves on my bines today :( it isn't even november yet.
I doubt it has anything to do with the amount of sun they are getting, unless they've been in shade for a while and were just put out into full sun.

If they are in pots, the sun may have heated up the soil to a stressing level...try wrapping shade cloth around the pots.

I doubt it has anything to do with the amount of sun they are getting, unless they've been in shade for a while and were just put out into full sun.

If they are in pots, the sun may have heated up the soil to a stressing level...try wrapping shade cloth around the pots.

thanks for the tip, they are in the ground the only thing i can think of is the tree cover is the issue and in the afternoon they just get hit, regardless i will have to cloth them the got burnt badly last year too.

curious as to others having the issue. or if it's just me.

thanks for the tip, they are in the ground the only thing i can think of is the tree cover is the issue and in the afternoon they just get hit, regardless i will have to cloth them the got burnt badly last year too.

curious as to others having the issue. or if it's just me.
Very strange. Yeah, could be the amount of shade they are in and then getting a big whack of sun. Hopefully a good water and they will recover. Mine are in full sun all day and are loving it. I did pull a pot out of the shed that was in shade for 2 weeks and into direct sunlight and it fried.

Slightly OT.

Having sampled the Smurto Chinook for the last 2 years, it's not bad but it's not Galaxy, Citra, Mosaic or Amarillo. I continue to grow it just cause it grows by itself so very easily. I'm a tightarse but not the point where I won't pay a few bucks for hops that I prefer.

My question is, why hasn't an enterprising brewer that lives near where they plant Galaxy do a mad runner through the fields, taking cuttings whilst in full flight and then releasing the subsequent cuttings to the forum under the moniker PoR v2.0 forum selection??

Also, with the advent of hop hash, is there an economical way to extract the resin from the flowers? I'm aware of butane or other solvents but I'm after some method that's free/cheap with bonus points for easy.

That's what is known as transpiration, a bit like us perspiring but we can keep our fluid levels up. The plant is not getting enough water to the leaves, all plants do it. Keep the soil moist and add plenty of mulch, they do not need any shade cloth.

Vic secret in the yard is prolific as always with Chinook catching fast. Cascade is always slower.
This year I have a small planting at the family holiday property - 6 x Vic secrets with tonnes of height to grow and test their limits!

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0487.JPG

Vic secret in the yard is prolific as always with Chinook catching fast. Cascade is always slower.
This year I have a small planting at the family holiday property - 6 x Vic secrets with tonnes of height to grow and test their limits!

Ummmmmmm....how did you get Vic Secret?

@Belgrave Brewer - Not sure? Perhaps it's not vic secret? The zome was sold as a Victoria and I assumed is was vic secret as I hadn't heard of Victoria?

edit: A quick net search comes up with a nursery selling Victoria hops so that would be what I have. Apparently a relative of Galaxy which I don't get at all when brewing with it however.

Not so secret then... ;-)

It's a very nice hop, I look forward to *ahem* retrieving some garden space neck from the missus so I can fit it in.

@Belgrave Brewer - Not sure? Perhaps it's not vic secret? The zome was sold as a Victoria and I assumed is was vic secret as I hadn't heard of Victoria?

edit: A quick net search comes up with a nursery selling Victoria hops so that would be what I have. Apparently a relative of Galaxy which I don't get at all when brewing with it however.

Yeah ok, it's Victoria. Sister to Galaxy but very different. Great hop cultivar. I was going to say, hand some Vic. Secret over to me. :p

I need some advice,

Since the last post on Tuesday the bines have grown to the end of the lines.

Should i clip the ends of the bines (at the red arrow) to promote more lateral growth, or just let the bines grow where they may? I can anticipate the bines getting to almost double the length of the current lines.

upload_2017-10-19_19-3-20.png

Latest posts

Back