2018 Hop Plantations

Discussion in 'Hops' started by Yob, 9/7/17.

1. Rocker1986

Posted 23/11/17
    I reckon. These are some of the flowers left, so far. Hopefully will get more later in the season. IMG_20171123_222649.jpg

2. Belgrave Brewer

Home Page:
    Posted 23/11/17
    I'm positive of an early harvest here in VIC this year. No burrs yet, but laterals forming and the majority of my plants will hit the 5 meter top wire weeks before solstice. Some are already over the top wire. I've seen a lot of people already reporting burr stage, and those reporting cones this early in the season is scary to me (except for up North).

It's been hot too early after a long cold winter. Plant stress can bring things on early.

Benn likes this.
  3. wynnum1

Posted 23/11/17
    These hot spells are not good fools the plants into flowering early .

4. Rocker1986

Posted 23/11/17
    Yeah we had a hot spell up here a month or so ago, but ever since it's been cooler and there's been a fair bit of rain as well. Maybe would have been better the other way around. This Hallertau plant has been slowly growing up more, no laterals yet or burrs so it might follow a more normal schedule. IMG_20171123_121025.jpg

5. mofox1

Wubba lubba dub dub!

Posted 23/11/17
    My Chinook have gone nuts in the past four weeks... Most bines now pushing the 4.5m mark (top of the frame). Amazing to watch them grow.

IMG_20171026_190729.jpg
    IMG_20171122_202858.jpg

blotto, AJ80, Curly79 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Benn

Posted 26/11/17
    This is a pic of my Chinook from a week ago, it had shot out quite a few laterals from the majority of main bines. I've since trimmed off all the laterals and a few of the excess weaker looking bines that weren't doing much. Vertical growth has sped up with most bines approaching 2m.
    I'm just wondering what may have caused the premature lateral growth?
    It's a 3 year old plant that spent the first year in a large pot, second year in the ground and this year during the dormant stage I relocated it to a more sheltered location in the back yard away from the wind. Too much relocating perhaps?

FullSizeRender.jpg

7. AJ80

Posted 26/11/17
    Burrs are forming on my cascade and mt hood - no laterals, just burrs coming directly off the main bines. Very strange. Chinook is slowly taking over the world, but no burrs on it.

8. Belgrave Brewer

Home Page:
    Posted 26/11/17
    Yeah, the main bine burrs can come on early. This happened to me a few years ago. They ended up being giant.

AJ80 likes this.
  9. bevan

Posted 28/11/17
    Ok checked out the drying racks. They are 900mm long and 550mm across. This is what he has left
    IMG_4222.jpg
    IMG_4223.jpg
    I bought a few of them and am happy to go back and get more and store them till pickup if people are after them . He’s selling them for $5 each. Location is Riddells Creek Victoria 3431.
    Here’s a close a photo of them
    IMG_4225.jpg
    I guess if your keen then PM me.

AJ80, Mardoo and Benn like this.
  10. Benn

Posted 2/12/17
    IMG_6185.PNG
    Farken beautiful :cheers:

11. Lyrebird_Cycles

Posted 2/12/17
    Apparently the exact mechanism is yet to be confirmed. This paper gives an interesting overview

Danscraftbeer and technobabble66 like this.
  12. good4whatAlesU

Posted 2/12/17
    Under a protected cropping system (like they use for cucumbers etc.) many of the variables could be manipulated producing year round fresh hops if desired.
    Lots of crops going this way now to take advantage of seasonal gaps in the market, or to grow plants in areas outside their natural range.
    Coir husk is a popular media now in grow pots instead of soil.

13. wynnum1

Posted 3/12/17
    Are fresh hops any advantage over well processed hops green houses are expensive and if make with the fresh hops in season how long can it be stored as beer.

14. koshari

Posted 7/12/17
    a very long time ago when i may have dabbled in the production of another home grown cultivar using a simple timer to change artificial light was definitely a reliable way to bring on the production of flowers.

btw iam still seeing the cascades bines here growing very rapidly with big gaps (80-100mm) between the leaves while the fuggles is growing a lot slower but more like a bush with very little distance (20-40mm) between the leaves. its pretty interesting given that the soil, watering and environment they are in is virtually identical??

15. Danscraftbeer

Posted 7/12/17
    Everything in my garden is going to flower prematurely. Vegies, Hops. I'm surrendering to the common gardeners theory it was because of an early pre summer heat wave. I can plant more vegies but the hops are all over the place. Early climers are in flower and this onslaught of undergrowth now.
    :question:

16. Rocker1986

Posted 7/12/17
    Picked the second last harvest from the Cascade today, second last of the existing flowers anyway as there may be more. It is putting out new laterals from the existing bines. 172g wet today which should be a bit over 40g dry, bringing the dry total over 100g. I still have last year's harvest in the freezer so about 240g dry all up to use. Should get a few batches out of them!

Sent from my Agora 4G+ using Aussie Home Brewer mobile app

17. good4whatAlesU

Posted 7/12/17
    Crazy attack of mites this week (will get a photo this-afternoon)... be on the look out gents.

18. blotto

Posted 9/12/17 at 4:20 AM
    Well my hops are starting to take off finally, I've moved into a new place and have found a nice tree they can live under. Looks like they are enjoying stretching out some bines. These are second year's but last year I had them in too much shade and they didn't do well. I'll get them in the ground next year or a raised garden bed like Kelsey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rocker1986 and Benn like this.
  19. No.42-jsb

Electrical Engineer
    Posted 12/12/17 at 10:16 AM
    So after nearly being decimated by caterpillars both my hops plants are growing with a vengeance. Both are throwing out heaps of lateral branches.
    Should I trim them or just train them up some more twine?
    Can I train them up the same twine as the main vine?

20. Lyrebird_Cycles

Posted 12/12/17 at 10:34 AM
    Mine have been devastated by white fly below the roof line but appear unharmed above it. I'm guessing it has to do with still air.