2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A.B. said:
This may sound like a silly question, but do hops twist their way up the cord clockwise or anti or whatever way the want? I'm starting to train my 30cm high Chinook, but don't want to start it up the wrong way round...
clockwise mate

77 in.....that takes us to 107....plus the rest.....Thanks for the support! Love all'yall!!

hopsfarm.jpg

A.B. said:
This may sound like a silly question, but do hops twist their way up the cord clockwise or anti or whatever way the want? I'm starting to train my 30cm high Chinook, but don't want to start it up the wrong way round...
If you get it wrong training and winding them manually the Hops will unravel themselves.
Clockwise in their direction they are growing vertically or horizontally.
Hehe so that means you have think lying on your back looking up the vertical string they are climbing. I'm sure some people get confused with this. Or did I say anticlockwise? :huh: I just looked at my first climbing Tettnang and its going anti clockwise!!!
Actually I just let my hops train me then. Whatever way they like to go... -_-

I just let mine do what they like and they all trained themselves around the lines clockwise.

Rocker1986 said:
I just let mine do what they like and they all trained themselves around the lines clockwise.
Cheers. I'd had a couple of beers when I asked that question, wondering if they twist the other way in the northern hemisphere.

hidara said:
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/92502-hydroponic-hops/#entry1407728

I found it hard to get scientific info online, so will keep the topic above alive in the hope that people with more experience than me will their in their two cents worth.
You got me excited and I did a heap of reading and research into it last night. I am going to setup my own system with ~3 plants as a test.

I will keep you updated.

RelaxedBrewer said:
You got me excited and I did a heap of reading and research into it last night. I am going to setup my own system with ~3 plants as a test.

I will keep you updated.
Please do. I'll warn you though.... You may find yourself checking in on them a few times a day and in my case, failing miserably to get my wife as excited as me when they have a growth spurt!

A.B. said:
Cheers. I'd had a couple of beers when I asked that question, wondering if they twist the other way in the northern hemisphere.
This did my head in a little so I checked my new Tettnang and some growth photo's of Victoria from last year and its confirmed. My hop bines spiral counter clockwise.
As long as this little piece of info is correct for clarity: http://namethatplant.net/article_asthevinetwines.shtml

Yep. that's counter clockwise.

So is that.

$0.02

Oh boy... :unsure:
so the argument simply is: Do you reference it as the direction is growing to. Or the direction it is growing from?????
Perfect example of contradictory information there. I'll take Darwin over wiki.

Quote: Twining direction can be determined by looking at (or imagining) the vine twining around a branch or pole. Look at the pole or branch from the base (from the direction from which the vine is growing).

The correct answer is, whatever the plant wants to do. If you attach it one way and it wants to go the other way, it will.

You people need to start herding cats. :p

I think it would be easier to simply say that the direction is the same as a left hand screw thread.

Mardoo said:
So, foliar feeding. Does anyone do it and can you explain what you use for hops?
Haven't done much foliar feeding with my hops but witnessed great success using Miracle Gro sprayed directly on the leaves of their cousins. Bought some the other day for my veggies and it's not as blue as it used to be but hopefully still as effective.

Camo6 said:
Haven't done much foliar feeding with my hops but witnessed great success using Miracle Gro sprayed directly on the leaves of their cousins. Bought some the other day for my veggies and it's not as blue as it used to be but hopefully still as effective.
I am somewhat disappointed with the performance of the new miracle grow formula tbh.

BottloBill said:
I am somewhat disappointed with the performance of the new miracle grow formula tbh.
Not what I want to hear. The old stuff was the bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back