2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fylp said:
Checked mine this morning and then this afternoon. The chinook grew about 10cm today. I'm guessing they like the powerfeed I gave then on Sunday. The POR and Cascade seem to be getting fatter rather than s00hooting up.
Bulls should probably be cut back early.....Unless you're going to 7m high! Re the way they grow.....I have never been to the northen hemisphere ...just going off what I have been told. Pretty easy to see the way they want to climb and not like im moving any time soon!!

We will be planting in the the next couple of weeks. We have opened up a bunch of ground water doing the ripping and the poles. I knew it was close. I really should be planting here late not trying to do it early! Figuring dissolved oxygen is pretty much key to getting them going now. Although you northern guys have good soil warmth and daylight hours now. We get close to 16hrs here from sun up to sun down coming into Solstice.

Is anyone in QLD planning on adding additional light at the end of the growth cycle? Would be as easy as running some warm white outdoor CFL's for a couple of hours after sun down coming into 'summer' solstice up there . Couple of ourdoor verandah lights would probably work.....No real worries about that here. Would be quantifiable is someone actually did it up north though which is two thumbs up from me!

I often do sit out on the deck on summer nights with the lights on, which is conveniently near where the hops are being grown. There is some shade cloth stuff on the western end of the deck though which might block out some of the light. In any case, I'm not really bothered by it, I'm only growing them for a bit of fun and my own use so I don't really care if the yield isn't as good as it could be.

As for the way they grow, I think I'll just let them climb the lines however they like then by the sounds of things :lol:

Hey Kelsey,

Just wondering how much flavour and aroma you got from last years crop?

A mate of mine seems to think that I won't get anything from my hops (super alpha / Dr Rudi) because I'm too far north and I'm in Newcastle.

Cheers

Got my crowns dug of 2 weeks ago and split up into smaller rhizomes and put into puts to start off while I prepared a better designed hop area.
Sent back to hospital to have a few stents/grafts repaired and now I can't dig/lift/pull for at least 6 weeks, so early season will be in pots.
Cluster has popped its head out yesterday, earliest I have had signs of growth but the last 2 weeks have been mild nights and warmer days.
Getting them out of the cold wet ground probably hasn't hurt either.

Brownsworthy said:
Hey Kelsey,

Just wondering how much flavour and aroma you got from last years crop?

A mate of mine seems to think that I won't get anything from my hops (super alpha / Dr Rudi) because I'm too far north and I'm in Newcastle.

Cheers
Hey mate, flavour and aroma to me was pretty much the same as it was when I'd brewed similar recipes with bought pellets. It probably could have been better, but hopefully this year I get a bigger crop and can use more of them and less Magnum to get more hop flavour and aroma from them.

After a few jealous pangs seeing hops sprouting for others I figured I probably should check out my own hop yard. Pleasantly surprised to see my first year Victoria (cheers dr Smurto!) and wild Otway hops have already sprouted as well as my second year goldings. Only cascade, mt hood and chinook (all second year) to go!

RelaxedBrewer said:
That sound really interesting. Is this your first year with them?
Where did you find them?
Any idea of flavour/aroma?
Yep, first year so have no real idea what to expect. They are apparently an old English variety called Canterbury goldings which was farmed in the Otways in the 19th century. There's a few different spots according to this: http://baysidebrewers.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/in-search-of-wild-hops.html?m=1 and they are quite easy to find growing along the creeks around the town of Forrest.

Hallertau 2nd year ready to do its thing

image.jpg

All my plants are going well now, and starting to climb up the lines. In the first pic is my second year Hallertau which is winning the race so far, the second pic is my second year Fuggle that has sprouted more than it did last year which is good, and the last pic is the first year Cascade. Only two bines on it so far, not sure if any more will pop up but at least something has.
cus_lol.gif

Apologies if these pics appear sideways... they were rotated the right way up on the computer and posted properly on Facebook, so I don't know why the hell they turn out sideways here..

IMG_0996.JPG

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_0995.JPG

I've been writing posts and trying to attach pics for a week now and they always get rotated 90 degrees. Getting very sick of this app. I am not going to post sideways pics so end up discarding my post. Still missing PM notifications too.

app sux balls.. upload to gallery and link from there, much better quality..

my 3rd year DS Victoria is poking through which is sad.. I really wanted to give it some love in its hole this year...

Yob said:
app sux balls.. upload to gallery and link from there, much better quality..

my 3rd year DS Victoria is poking through which is sad.. I really wanted to give it some love in its hole this year...
Can i get to the gallery on the app? I can't see it.

The world needs more pics of hop bines emerging from their slumber and reaching for the sun.

Edit - if only the app sucked balls.

DrSmurto said:
Can i get to the gallery on the app? I can't see it.
fuk knows mate, I gave that shit away about 30 mins after I used it... mostly coz it didnt suk my ballz

AJ80 said:
Yep, first year so have no real idea what to expect. They are apparently an old English variety called Canterbury goldings which was farmed in the Otways in the 19th century. There's a few different spots according to this: http://baysidebrewers.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/in-search-of-wild-hops.html?m=1 and they are quite easy to find growing along the creeks around the town of Forrest.
Any chance you might be able to give me some more details on where specifically around Forrest I can find some? I'm heading down next weekend and would LOVE to get my hands on a rhizome or two. I won't have a huge amount of time to forage, as I'm mountain biking with mates who will not have the patience (no doubt they'll have no issues drinking the beers though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back