2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry yeah its a weed.
they come up ether purple or white not green.

DigitalGiraffe said:
Just finished getting my hops sorted for the coming season. Already a few little heaps popping through! Growing Saaz and Cascade. Hoping for a better season with my Saaz this time, if not I'll ditch them and run with all Cascade.
14099456_587919341390706_325425663_n.jpg
I see wires and a telegraph pole in the background which could be handy if your crop takes off !

Good progress today.....more photos around but tired....

Almost planting time.....got it ripped into rows too...seems nothing needs to grow deep here due to the water being abundant on the surface!

newpoles.jpg

Almost cried tears of joy seeing these start up last week, the progress really well! Gotta thank everyonr for all the help getting going!

1472524374311.jpg

1472524438609.jpg

1472524490933.jpg

The first bine of my second year Hallertau (third pic :blink:) has found its way to a line and attached itself to it, and even trained itself around clockwise (why do they have to be clockwise by the way, is there any issue if they climb up anti-clockwise?). The other few should catch up over the next week or so by the looks.

First year Cascade shoots (second pic) are coming along nicely at least from what I can tell. Given they're first year I didn't expect them to jump out of the blocks like the others have.

Second year Fuggle (first pic) has shot up a heap of shoots this year compared to last year. Maybe I'll actually get a worthwhile harvest off it this season.

IMG_0991.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

Right more from yestd.....This is how we're looking now....Daylight hours are starting to crank up....Still a long way to go before Summer Solstice though....and I have massive amounts of work to do!!

Really great a lot of you have early stuff coming up already. Still cold, wet, cold and miserable here mostly. Couple of weeks and things will be pushing up though. Time to get onto climbing and rigging now!!

progressonhops.jpg

progressonhops2.jpg

At least from the pics above I know what to look for.

Rocker1986 said:
and even trained itself around clockwise (why do they have to be clockwise by the way, is there any issue if they climb up anti-clockwise?). .
They naturally grow clockwise, by what I've read, heard, and seen. Anyone seen otherwise?

Mardoo said:
They naturally grow clockwise, by what I've read, heard, and seen. Anyone seen otherwise?
Clockwise in the southern hemisphere, anticlockwise in the Northern Hemisphere ;)

Actually all mine in Australia have always grown clockwise. I'd guess after enough generations here they might shift over.

Mardoo said:
Actually all mine in Australia have always grown clockwise. I'd guess after enough generations here they might shift over.
Same deal as flushing the toilet....if we had the same type here as the US they would go in opposite directions...beans do the exact same here. And the exact opposite in the Northern Hemisphere too....as in climb clockwise.

Looks relatively anticlockwise to me in a green house up north of the equator. Meaning us south of the equator experience growth of the clockwise variety on most deciduous and annual climbing vines. There are always exceptions to the rule....thats how plants work. Certainly Hops do follow this trait of growth.

https://youtu.be/2DaQSRQB_tw

Mardoo said:
Clockwise in both hemispheres.

Checked mine this morning and then this afternoon. The chinook grew about 10cm today. I'm guessing they like the powerfeed I gave then on Sunday. The POR and Cascade seem to be getting fatter rather than shooting up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back