2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's crossed my mind to have a scratch around W.E.A.L, just wasn't sure whether that would mess with it's biological clock or something.
I dote on these friggen plants too much which is what ultimately lead me to trip over a string and kill the it in the first place.
...I'll take a look beneath the soil tomorrow or in the middle of the night if it gets the better of me.

After a few weeks of doing basically nothing my Victoria hops kicked into gear again on the weekend with some more vertical growth and burrs forming.

I've killed several dozen grasshoppers including one who was just under 5in long! Hungry bastards.

A lot of the lower leaves seemed to curl and get black tips a week or so ago so, but looking happier this afternoon. I'm hoping it's not to do with my fortnightly application of seasol and powerfeed. Does this sound like overfeeding or is iit possible that there's some contamination from neighbours spraying weeds?

Just had a scratch around and found the rhizome - still alive but no root growth. Maybe stopping the above ground growth at that particular time was enough to stop growth altogether for now. Anyway, there were a couple of nodes that looked ok so maybe I'll see her again next spring.

The hop drying rack is pretty much ready for the first part of the harvesting season. The trays are approx 600x415mm, so should be plenty for what's on offer currently from the Cascade plant, which is the only one really doing anything in regard to flowers at this stage. There are 3 more trays to go below those two that I haven't built yet, and another one that I'll make up to sit on top of the whole thing. The plan at this point is to sit this in the spare room and dry them out in there.

Hop drying rack 1.jpg

Rocker, it sounds like phenoxy herbicide damage. If you google it, there should be plenty of descriptions and info on the web.

Rocker1986 said:
All the new growth on all the bines of this plant features these rolled up leaves, although some are worse than others. On one bine, all the leaves up to about 2m high are normal looking, and then the next ones up are rolled up, and so on all the way to the tip. I know they start out folded/rolled when they are just poking out, but these ones just stay like that and don't unfold/unroll as they get bigger. The herbicide itself only touched a couple of leaves way down the bottom of the plant somewhere, so it seems a bit of an over reaction and it also seems odd that it only affected the new growth and not the existing leaves, but anyway. I'll just leave it and keep watering etc. and see what happens. It doesn't appear to have affected the flowering though, only the leaves.
This could also be micro nutrient deficiency, possibly boron. Do you have a decent general fertiliser that covers the micros? Low pH can also lock nutrients out even if they are available to the hops.

Benn said:
Just had a scratch around and found the rhizome - still alive but no root growth. Maybe stopping the above ground growth at that particular time was enough to stop growth altogether for now. Anyway, there were a couple of nodes that looked ok so maybe I'll see her again next spring.
I've had this happen with a rhizome...it grew back the following year.

Thanks guys. The Hallertau plant in the other planter box which has the same soil conditions hasn't displayed this leaf rolling, it's only been the Cascade one where some weeds in it were sprayed with herbicide. I'll have a look at the fertiliser more closely but I'm pretty sure it does have the micro nutrients as well.

Here is my small "plantation"... hehe. Three Fuggles plants, trained to shade the deck during summer, which is working a treat!

The flowers are just starting now, should get a decent amount this year.

20170113_121839.jpg

Cheers.

I thought about doing that with the deck at my place but they would have ended up in the way at ground level unfortunately. Good idea though, would have worked well in the afternoons.

Mardoo said:
Really, I think hops are among the best shade plants there is.
I have a cunning plan along those lines for our patio/al-fresco area once the house is built....so cunning, you could pin a tail on it & call it a "Wolf of the Hedgerows".... ;)

MartinOC said:
I have a cunning plan along those lines for our patio/al-fresco area once the house is built....so cunning, you could pin a tail on it & call it a "Wolf of the Hedgerows".... ;)
How is the house coming along?

MartinOC said:
How is the house coming along?

That would also work well I would think. Anything in that kind of setup would be good for drying them out on in a spare room or whatever. I won't dry them outside though, if a gust of wind or even a gentle breeze came through they'd be everywhere

OK, I've learned something I thought I would share, as it may be helpful for someone else. You can cut back and re-start a stalled hop plant and it can get to the point of flowering at the same time as your other hops. You'll end up with fewer bines, but its viability can stay solid. I won't say will stay solid, as I'm no botanist, but you can re-start them and it can work.

At the beginning of the season my Willamette took off like crazy. All my other hops, friends' hops and posts I saw on here from Melbourne were much shorter. The Willamette went to 3 meters in three weeks, even before the soil had warmed up. It's an early growing and early producing variety, so I just watched in wonder. Then they stopped. And I mean stopped. Nothing happened for two months. My Victoria and my Mt. Hood volunteer (in my scrap pile from a couple years ago) took their sweet time, and then easily overtook my Willamette. I waited, and waited, and waited...no more growth at all. They didn't appear to be suffering anything else that the others weren't.

The soil was the same, the fertiliser was the same, the location was the same, so it was pretty confusing. Then I got on a ladder and had a close look at the growth tips. They were green, but looked dried out, like dessicated. My guess is that one of the very windy days took them out, but they've always been on steady irrigation. It seems unlikely they dried out from lack of water, but I can't really say. I decided to wait a couple more weeks just in case. During that time the plant started to put up some really solid bines, almost as robust as the early jack bines. At that point I decided the hop plant was trying to recover, and so I would help it.

I chose three out of about 20 bines to keep. (I originally planted three sections of rhizome, two years ago.) I cut the rest of the old bines out. I left three to make sure the rhizomes would have a source of nutrition from photosynthesis. This was pure supposition on my part. I haven't read any research in this regard, but it seemed like common sense. I kept fertilising this hop just like I was the rest of the hops. The new bines took off and went like mad - 4.5 metres in 3 weeks.

When I switched to fertilising all the plants for flowering, I debated switching the Willamette as well. I was a bit afraid to make the switch so soon as I thought it might need a bit more growing time. However, since four of the new bines had reached 4.5 metres I took a punt. Within a week, I've got flowers on the Willamette. I'm very stoked, as this is a kind of special hop for me. I was beginning to wonder if the plant was even viable at all, as most of my first years produce at least some flowers, but last year this one didn't. But finally, with a little love and care - and a significant amount of excision of otherwise healthy bines - the hop seems to have found its feet again and to be on the road to production.

I just based all this on common sense, so I can't say this is the "proper" thing to do in these situations. It worked for me though. I waited a good long time to be sure the hop was stalled. It wasn't like, "Oh my, it hasn't grown in two weeks. Should I cut it back?" It had gone like gangbusters and then completely stalled. For months. And I waited, and waited to be sure. I'm not recommending this for plants that are just slow, but saying it might work for you if you have a healthy plant that has. Just. Stopped. Growing. Because that's not really what hops do. No, not really not at all. And, thankfully, the plant "told" me it wanted to do something else.

FWIW

Right on Mardoo,
I've had a similar experience with some of my plants. Personally, I have learnt a lot this season (learning not over yet:) one thing being that hops don't like wind. I'm talking relentless SW Bass Straight wind. My sheltered & partially shaded hops are in much better shape than the hops that have full sun but exposure to the wind. My Novice assumption at this point is that; I'm trying to grow hops in a domestic setting so the commercial growing practices I've read about don't always necessarily apply.
Good thing is my wife loves the bines and wants them to "take over a the house"....
Bahahaha! Be careful what you wish for:)

I chopped my 2nd year Hallertau down to the ground in about September after it sprouted up a very fast growing bine and not much else. I noticed smaller new shoots popping up so I figured I'd cut the initial growth down completely and allow the plant to focus on these new shoots. It worked well, I have 6 lines in the planter box and each one has at least two bines growing up it now, as well as some of the laterals that have appeared.

Meanwhile, the 1st year Cascade plant is looking a bit better in regards to those leaves that were rolled up. Some of these leaves are unrolling, some aren't but the newer growth leaves are starting to turn back to normal again now, which is good. It's also shot up a new bine out of nowhere again, after it shot one up about 1.5-2 weeks ago which is now at the top of the 3m trellis, and already has laterals and burrs on it too. I think this plant must like the climate up here or something. It will get its weekly dose of Maxibloom tomorrow too, which is really improving the flowering.

Just finished picking my first harvest for the season off the Cascade plant. I ended up with 278g, which will dry out to about 70g I imagine. That's way more than I expected from a first year plant and it's not done yet either as there are a number of cones not quite ready yet, plus numerous burrs forming all over the plant as well. I might have to brew a pale ale with these flowers once they're dry to see what they taste like.

IMG_1116.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back