2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First shoots are above ground on my cascade and super alpha.
It's my first go at growing them, wondering how long to wait before cutting back the first growth?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1442638805.326802.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1442638575.027213.jpg

Attention nsw central coast brewers.

Earlier In The Year I Left Some POR rhizomes at country brewer @ toukley for local brewers to buy. It appears none of the regulars are interested. Seeing as though the season for growing is getting going I am going to make them free to whoever wants one. I am not interested in posting or distributing them. So if you are interested in one just head to toukley and see Dwayne at country brewer and he will give you one. No obligation to buy anything from his shop.

David

If you pick up one. Happy growing. May plenty of cones grow.

First shoots have just poked through on Mt Hood, Chinook and Goldings. No sign of my Cascade yet...

perko8 said:
First shoots are above ground on my cascade and super alpha.
It's my first go at growing them, wondering how long to wait before cutting back the first growth?

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1442638805.326802.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1442638575.027213.jpg
Last year my plants were all grown from rhizome. I only cut back one of the three, and it out performed the others about three fold. It may have been due to some other reason, and they were all different varieties, but after it's haircut, it went mental.

I trimmed back all of mine this weekend and dipped the cuttings in some powder which is meant to benefit root growth from cuttings. If all of them take (which they wont) I will have around 20 new hop plants for next season.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1442790341.775247.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1442790392.423121.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1442790462.473735.jpg
Hey guys, here's my cascade which has been growing well but today I've noticed small spots on the leaves. Has anyone experienced this before and what was the cause and cure? Cheers

Alex.Tas said:
Last year my plants were all grown from rhizome. I only cut back one of the three, and it out performed the others about three fold. It may have been due to some other reason, and they were all different varieties, but after it's haircut, it went mental.

I trimmed back all of mine this weekend and dipped the cuttings in some powder which is meant to benefit root growth from cuttings. If all of them take (which they wont) I will have around 20 new hop plants for next season.
How are you looking after the cuttings ?

Are they in a humidity crib or just out in the open ?

I want to do this this year and want to know what works the best

I was just going to put cuttings in a humidity crib some where warm with a fluro light above them

Ill be keen to hear how yours go

POR Has decided its time, this was takena few days ago and all of them are at least a few inches bigger than shown now... mulching is helping loads

POR.JPG

Hpal said:
Hey guys, here's my cascade which has been growing well but today I've noticed small spots on the leaves. Has anyone experienced this before and what was the cause and cure? Cheers
Hi Hpal, check this out: https://www.freshops.com/hop-growing/hop-diseases-and-pests

In last year's hop thread, another user gave a link to the Simplot growers guide for hops. It was really great however, the guide was updated to a new format and the images didn't seem to get transferred to the updated growers guide.
Someone else seems to have copy and pasted the information, along with the relevant pictures. Check it out in the link above.

Link to the Simplot guide

wide eyed and legless said:
Lists of mineral deficiencies and diseases in hops with images.
https://x10.simplot.com/growersolutions/field_manuals/category.cfm?catid=7

Sophaw, see below
Spohaw said:
How are you looking after the cuttings ?
I'm looking pretty good thanks. Well my fiancee said I was when I left for work this morning. :p
The hops were looking pretty limp, I tried to make the cuttings at least 15-20cm long, which meant I could poke them a fair way into the pots, which should help them stay somewhat upright. Some of the stems were woodier than others. I put some small stakes in the pot with them to try and hold them up.

Are they in a humidity crib or just out in the open ?
Just in the open. Probably not ideal, but i had one success from about 4 cuttings last year, and i didn't use the cutting powder.

I want to do this this year and want to know what works the best

I was just going to put cuttings in a humidity crib some where warm with a fluro light above them
Probably the way to go if you have one. it will likely need to be pretty tall though. I dunno how long the cuttings should be, but I wanted to give them at least 6 pairs of leaves before I snipped them off. I have no idea about best practice though.

Ill be keen to hear how yours go
Sure. I love spamming this thread so I'll probably give progress updates. If i forget, let me know!
Edit: Beaten to it by M&BB.

Nice shoots Yob.

and the Canterbury Goldings, only really kept for (as is the POR too) ornamental value, I tend not to brew with them often..

The Canterbury Goldings has some historical value, coming off a 100+ year wild old mother zome

CG.JPG

Victoria and Cascade are starting to shoot through bines as well, Chinook is typically last to show (but usually produces the most)

Spohaw said:
I have a problem with ring neck parrots pinching the tips out of the bines as they grow

I'll be doing this to see if it helps

I was going to steep a heap of dried birds eye chillis and spray that on them to deter them so I might do both in one spray

Hope it works
Birds don't sense Chilli's as we do. Only mammals are sensitive to Capsaicin (in theory) I'm unsure if rodents (possums etc) feel the heat. I've had possums strip all the fruit of chilli plants but then the serious Hottest chillies are often dropped half eaten then left alone haha, I would have loved to see the reactions of the possum after eating a Bhut Jolokia.

Good to know mate ... I use it as a pest spray and was hoping it would deter the birds

Seems to kill bugs and make the ants piss off

wide eyed and legless said:
What part of pH don't you understand, ask any keen gardener and they will tell you how important pH is 1 point either side of neutral is a good starting point for most plants apart from the acid or alkaline loving plants, plants cannot draw up nutrients and essential minerals if the pH is way off line, and how you contradict yourself when you say (in past posts) a good load of compost and manure if you are following your own advice how come your pH is so high, have you ever checked your pH?
I'd think a neutral soil ph would be better then one way up around 9

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1442879149.571065.jpg

Back