2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1440934159.664405.jpg
Cascade

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1440934215.721964.jpg
Flinders

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1440934250.563179.jpg
Red earth

Had to pot them up from the garden a few weeks ago so they probably aren't as good as they should be

They are going into their second season

I got some coco coir here to top up the pots a bit more

Rhizomes were a little to big for the pots when I planted them out and I didn't make enough soil mix to go around that's why they are a little uncovered

I was ment to do that today but I was busy brewing/drinking and prepping for visitors

I'm after a Cascade Rhizome (Melbourne) if anyone is selling?

Starting to get a bit late mate. Most are starting to shoot so not a great time to be digging them up.

Benn said:
I'm after a Cascade Rhizome (Melbourne) if anyone is selling?
I might have some extras. I'm planting out the rest today so I'll have a better idea this evening.

Spohaw said:
reducing them down to the three best looking bines ?
Is this an agreed upon technique? I tend to just let mine go but I've had pretty small harvests these past two years.

flave_7 said:
Where dya get your red earth from Spohaw?
Pretty sure I got it from Colin from hops west in Albany wa , Wilson brewing company put me onto them ... Your best bet is to ask him for some contact info flave

kahlerisms said:
Is this an agreed upon technique? I tend to just let mine go but I've had pretty small harvests these past two years.
Think I read that on here and in the "for the love of hops " book by stan hieronymus

The book doesn't have a great deal of info in it about growing so your best bet is to search around ahb for info on growing

I've only done one crop so far so you are better off asking/listening to people who have grown them for a while tbh

I'm kinda just winging it

Spohaw said:
Pretty sure I got it from Colin from hops west in Albany wa , Wilson brewing company put me onto them ... Your best bet is to ask him for some contact info flave
Thought as much. Was wondering if there was someone else in WA selling them. A mate got a goldings, cascade and red earth from them. I got some wet red earth hops from them too. Gonna IPA with it see how that goes.

What’s everyone using for fertiliser, mulch etc...?? I've found Organic Xtra to be great as a base fertiliser and Seasol as a bit of a booster. As for mulch, Teatree mulch as its a little denser then lucerne so it doesn't end up looking like a snow storm has hit my yard after some winds... and it smells good too which is a bonus :)

Victoria (from Hammer)
image.jpg

Chinook (from DrSmurto)
image.jpg

Currently in pots until they get slightly bigger, these are first year rhizomes so just babying them a little till they get bigger.

Also have a Cascade from Diggers Club on its way.

Latest posts

Back