2014 Vic Christmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to Idzy for hosting. Was an awesome day (or couple of hours for me). Pity I couldn't hang around for longer. Here are a few pics I took.

Yob said:
How much did we end up cubing?
We had an extra 5 I think over and above, which were distributed to a few of the boys that helped Friday night / Saturday morning. Jesse, there is still one there for you.

So I am guessing about 25? 25*20.5l = 512.5 litres. And then losses on top of that.

22L in my full cube so might have been even morr?

My comments come a little late thanks to a broken internet router but better late than never.

I had the most amazing day! I met a wonderful bunch of blokes who were more than willing to give me advice and help so thank you all, I will now be entering the world of all grain brewing. Yeah!

A massive thanks to everyone who had a hand in setting up, cleaning up, shopping, cooking and everything else that you did to make the day go off without a hitch. A special shout out to Idzy for opening up his awesome home to us all...what a great venue. Also a big shout out to Mardoo for an awesome job on the spit.

Highlights for me were being able to try some amazing beers. Favorite beer of the day by far was AJ's sour......what an awesome beer. That may just be my first all grain brew. The Flanders red was also a stand out along with Yob's IPA. To be honest every beer I had was great so thanks to everyone for the inspiration to take my brewing to the next level.

To answer an earlier question, yes my swap beer was the Guys Hill Brewery Ale and I was swap number 12. I'll remember to put the details on the bottle next time.

I can't wait for the next swap!

I haven't picked mine up from Idzy's yet. But if it is filled to the top I know the to the brim you can squeeze 23 litres in it.

And I noticed that there was a fair few of those same square cubes lined up - so I reckon the majority were over 20litres.

So lets say each cube was an average 21.5 litres * 25 cubes = a massive 537.5litre batch.

idzy said:
We had an extra 5 I think over and above, which were distributed to a few of the boys that helped Friday night / Saturday morning. Jesse, there is still one there for you.

So I am guessing about 25? 25*20.5l = 512.5 litres. And then losses on top of that.
sweet :D

I too thought the kettle was 500l, either way, is still an impressive outcome.

The kettle to the very top is approximately 530 I believe. There is probably some room for +/- in the measuring, but it is definitely not 600l.

At the start of filling, we didn't know what volumes we really had, probably should have checked, but due to us nearly running out last time, a few people made sure we didn't go above 20l on most of the cubes.

By about half way through, we realised there was extra, so I would imagine that at a minimum a cube would have 20.5 and maximum about 23l.

I think I said this once before, but....

I propose, and challenge you all, that we do our thing year, fermentation and set hop wise then anyone that has it ready for the next comp enters a bottle.

Bragging rights at the next swap go to the person that can score the highest with the same base beer.

There was a little bit of lost property, some collateral damage and some missing items.

Lost property
Grey Jumper - unclaimed
Hops x 2 - claimed (Tahoose/Yob)
Stubby Holder - claimed (JB)

Collateral damage
Starsan squirty bottle - named Lucy, she was a good bottle

Missing
Missing one hose, with female cam locks, approx 2 metres long

If you are missing anything else, let me know...

idzy said:
There was a little bit of lost property, some collateral damage and some missing items.

Lost property
Grey Jumper - unclaimed

Collateral damage

Missing

Don't suppose that cube lid of mine turned up? Thanks again for the spare on the day mate. You're a true gentleman.

I broke Lucy.. she wasnt up to brewday rough housing..

Im sorry for your loss..

'hint' get one of those 6lt pressure sprayers man.. day de bom :beerbang:

idzy said:

Lost property
Grey Jumper - unclaimed

Collateral damage

Missing

Everyone returned home with their dignity? :blink: :blink: :blink:

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Everyone returned home with their dignity? :blink: :blink: :blink:
We could probably put Madhu in the collateral damage column, lol

I'll check my box of bits for the hose Idzy. I washed all the hoses in the morning and in my semicoma could have put it in there

whiteferret said:
I'll check my box of bits for the hose Idzy. I washed all the hoses in the morning and in my semicoma could have put it in there
Thanks Wayne.

Boys, out of curiosity, I would be interested in a listing of the kegs/bottles that were drank on the day. Would be good as a point of reference based on the sheer volume consumed...

I will start

Idzy:
Feral Hop Hop keg
Pliny the Elder
Pliny the Younger
Leffe Blonde
California Dreamin' Steam

Back