2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rhizomes will grow into each other in that pot Coops. Would have been easier sticking them in the ground and having them climb up the trellis. Not as good a yield as growing them the conventional way but maybe a bit more practical than what you have there. :blink:

Anyone reckon they know what's going on with my Columbus? My other 4 varieties (Chinook, Cascade, Hersbrucker and Hallertau) are all growing well, with excellent colour and leaf health. But the Columbus, which is in similar soil, sun position, and has had the same watering/feeding regime, is looking crook.

IMG-20131216-00055.jpg IMG-20131216-00056.jpg

The only difference is that the Columbus was a large root ball I got from someone who'd dug it up from their property, whereas the others were single rhizomes. Perhaps the larger root ball with its multiple shoots needed more of something to get it going again? I've given it some more Easy Wetta fertiliser tonight (the granules you can see sprinkled around) and a good watering, hopefully it helps. The only pics I can find on the web seem to suggest it could be a potassium deficiency, but that seems to be soil related, so wouldn't explain why the chinook a few metres away is thriving.

It seems like sometimes they can take a while to settle in, my Fuggles is now starting to do something 2nd year round

Its not much to go on..

RDWHAHB?

Ed: PH?

mine has few brown leaves with holes at the moment cant see any insect issues could it be water damage.

Most of mine currently look like they've been chewed up in a shredder and spat back out. Hallertauer is slowly showing signs of recovery, cascades are a bit humdrum and the Chinook are well, lets just say they're looking decidedly second hand.

They're not as bad as the sauvignon blanc or shiraz grapes, but not much better.

First hail storm in 7 years pretty much took it's toll almost as effectively as Ex Tropical Cyclone Oswald did last year. Womdering what the plague of locusts will be like next year at this point.

Have had 6 mtr tall towers built with a 1.5 mtr wide T top. I'll just call it as early installation for next year at this point. Doubt any of them will make the long journey up the towers this late

Martin

Yob said:
It seems like sometimes they can take a while to settle in, my Fuggles is now starting to do something 2nd year round

Its not much to go on..

RDWHAHB?

Ed: PH?
Yeah, not too concerned, at least its spat out some bines...I'm not expecting much/anything in year 1, but I just don't want it to die completely if I can avoid it.

I've checked PH with one of those meters that do moisture, light and PH, for all my hops, and it shows pretty much perfect on each test.

I had some stunted looking hops that looked really sick. They were in the ground because I wanted maximum growth. When I dug them up, I found their roots were soggy and waterlogged and almost 'sloppy'. I cut away the affected parts and replanted them in pots. That was about 2 weeks ago and they SEEM to be making a recovery of sorts.

Digging them up and replanting them is a last resort scenario but if they get much worse it could be an option. My hops in pots always seem to do better.

Hey carnie.
My Columbus off the same root ball looked the same not long ago.
I got aggressive and pretty much chopped all bines off.
I now have 3 new bines above ground with healthy leaves and 3 ready to break ground.
Hope they stay healthy !

UB

carniebrew said:
Anyone reckon they know what's going on with my Columbus? My other 4 varieties (Chinook, Cascade, Hersbrucker and Hallertau) are all growing well, with excellent colour and leaf health. But the Columbus, which is in similar soil, sun position, and has had the same watering/feeding regime, is looking crook.

attachicon.gif
IMG-20131216-00055.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG-20131216-00056.jpg

The only difference is that the Columbus was a large root ball I got from someone who'd dug it up from their property, whereas the others were single rhizomes. Perhaps the larger root ball with its multiple shoots needed more of something to get it going again? I've given it some more Easy Wetta fertiliser tonight (the granules you can see sprinkled around) and a good watering, hopefully it helps. The only pics I can find on the web seem to suggest it could be a potassium deficiency, but that seems to be soil related, so wouldn't explain why the chinook a few metres away is thriving.
Hi Carnie, how much water do you give it a day on average?

Did you water the ground during planting? Its important to only work the soil when its moist and not fully wetted. If the ground is too wet when you dig and work it then it becomes water logged.

I'd lift it if it were me in your position. If it has healthy zome that you can replant, then dig in some manure. Best not to chuck on any more chemical fert.

As above... That plant looked overwatered and maybe mould affected. I would cut back on water frequency, make sure u only ever water the soil and not the foliage, and give it a dose or two with a copper based spray.

HBHB said:
Most of mine currently look like they've been chewed up in a shredder and spat back out. Hallertauer is slowly showing signs of recovery, cascades are a bit humdrum and the Chinook are well, lets just say they're looking decidedly second hand.

They're not as bad as the sauvignon blanc or shiraz grapes, but not much better.

First hail storm in 7 years pretty much took it's toll almost as effectively as Ex Tropical Cyclone Oswald did last year. Womdering what the plague of locusts will be like next year at this point.

Have had 6 mtr tall towers built with a 1.5 mtr wide T top. I'll just call it as early installation for next year at this point. Doubt any of them will make the long journey up the towers this late

Martin

Same here, mine seemed to recover from the hail in 2012 but this years has decimated it. There's probably two dozen cones on there ready to harvest but i get depressed when i look at them so i'm not even going to bother, call it root development year.

Actually I've hardly watered my hops at all, I've been regularly monitoring the soil with my moisture meter, and only giving water when the needle tends towards dry. That's been pretty rare over the last couple of months, it is Melbourne after all. Maybe once a week on average.

UB, I forgot that was your Columbus that was looking crook...where did you cut the bines back, just down to ground level?

I might dig it up to have a look...to plant this I dug a hole, then mixed the soil with some mushroom compost and planted in that. Did the same with the Chinook next to it, whereas the Cascade and Hersbrucker are in eco kegs with potting mix.

Here is my three HOP plants.

the first one (Left side) I trimmed back a little too much and it died off but it coming back now, the other two are going pretty good.
I put them in a little late and this is the 2nd month i've put some miracle grow on it.

Poles are 3m high put them on a angle to get a little more length

gallery_9889_466_264261.jpg

gava said:
Here is my three HOP plants.

the first one (Left side) I trimmed back a little too much and it died off but it coming back now, the other two are going pretty good.
I put them in a little late and this is the 2nd month i've put some miracle grow on it.

Poles are 3m high put them on a angle to get a little more length
Thanks for this Gava. My hops have gone absolutely mental growth wise & i have to build something taller to give them somewhere to grow to. I'll be using your fine design!

DU99, looks like it dried out at some stage. I have had my hops looking similar after some hot dry weather, and missing a watering or two.

Back