2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I have noticed pilgrimspiss is in W.A. so those of us outside of W.A. are unable to trade rhizomes with him. :huh:

You've probably had a few people interested in your Flinders variety. Now is a good time to bury some bine to make rhizome. If you bury the first one or two feet of bine before you run it up the string it will turn into rhizome. Has to be done early in the season.

Perle
Perle 1212.jpg

Goldings
Goldings 1212.jpg

Chinook
Chinook 1212.jpg

Cheers Yob. The way I see it, you can never have too many hops...

Gentlemen, I realize most people try and get there's climbing around the 12foot mark.

Can they, like grape vines, be trimmed to a shorter length, which see's them use there energy to grow a shorter, fuller bine and heavier cones????

More suited to a 2nd+ year bine, so you can grow many short runnings instead of a couple full length ones???

Smurto grows his on mesh to a height of 3 metres producing a very bushy plant.

Doesn't really work in my opinion. Going on data he has posted it appears that he gets fewer cones which dry out to a lot less than those that grow on well spaced plants that receive more sun. And it appears that his have a weaker aroma and bittering potential.
Sorry but that's just how it looks.

Pruning them as you have suggested shaunous, will result in the laterals growing really long and knocking about in the wind leading to damage more that likely.

hoppy2B said:
Smurto grows his on mesh to a height of 3 metres producing a very bushy plant.

Doesn't really work in my opinion, FWIW. Going on data he has posted it appears that he gets fewer cones which dry out to a lot less than those that grow on well spaced plants that receive more sun. And it appears that his have a weaker aroma and bittering potential.
Sorry but that's just how it looks.

Pruning them as you have suggested shaunous, will result in the laterals growing really long and knocking about in the wind possibly leading to damage more that likely.
FTFY

and

FYTSS

To easy, thanx, will carry on regardless, and Yob are you intoxicated :p

shaunous said:
To easy, thanx, will carry on regardless, and Yob are you intoxicated :p

He has peole singing love songs to him, he's high on hisself. :ph34r: :p

punkin said:
Just plant dwarves.
Yeah that's a good point. Dwarf hops are the only ones that I would recommend growing on mesh because the laterals don't grow out as far.

Growing on mesh was a prospect I became interested in during my first season of growing hops because it seemed like it would be an easier proposition, but I found during my second season that as my plants became bushier than they had been in the first growing season that it led to a decline in yields.

No offence intended to Dr S. I'm just going off my own observations and the figures that he has provided. Other people have said on here that they have had plants that were all leaf and few cones.

I'd recommend that Smurto try taping some bamboo canes at about 2 metre intervals along his mesh trellis as an experiment to see how many cones are produce above the mesh on the canes. He might be surprised by the results.

Thanks hoppy2B. I will push some bines under and see how they go. Quarantine laws are good but spewing we cant trade interstate! What diseases and/or bugs are we preventing by not trading interstate?

I tried mesh to start, and they didn't like growing up on it, now I've used hay bailing twine and they are climbing, very slowly though against winds and crazy heat.

pilgrimspiss said:
Thanks hoppy2B. I will push some bines under and see how they go. Quarantine laws are good but spewing we cant trade interstate! What diseases and/or bugs are we preventing by not trading interstate?
I'm not really sure. I think it just applies to all seeds etc. WA simply has tough quarantine laws.

I'm late to the party, probably won't get anything this year but at least they have started their climb. Chinook and Mount hood, both rhizomes from my LHBS.

ec0f109c44d33d025e03b016d0349d9f_zpsb65dbe36.jpg

4f713444a2beb52de356da9c680a0a0a_zps40a53054.jpg

Latest posts

Back