2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First up is the Cascade. Late starter, but a fast mover now.
Cascade.jpg
Then the Chinook, motoring well now too
Chinook.jpg
And the Mt Hood. Most active and earliest starter
Mt Hood.jpg
Then the Euro hops, starting with the Hallertau Hallertau
Hallertau.jpg
And the Hersbrucker, small leaves but many bines
Hersbrucker.jpg,
and the Perle, which I will post in the next window, due to space limitations.

I haven't had a Paddle Pop in years, I used to enjoy them. What flavour?

Mardoo said:
Out in the back yard, watering my hops, eating a paddle pop. Life is very good.

So not watching the clock?

hoppy2B said:
I haven't had a Paddle Pop in years, I used to enjoy them. What flavour?
chocolate - always been my favourite. The cluster and vic I got from you are coming into their own now.

punkin said:
So not watching the clock?
Wanting it to go slower actually. :D

Yeah the chocolate is pretty good, have to admit. Good to hear the hops are going well.

Don't know if anyone has tried 'Power Feed' fertiliser for their hops but I have had some success with it. It is made by the same company that makes Seasol but it has a soil loosening agent in it which is really good if your soil is too hard or clay-like (like mine). Hops hate not being able to expand their rhizome so for me this stuff has been positive. Anyone else used it before?

Some impressive hops going on here.

Mine are struggling in the constant daily heavy winds we are having here, out of character winds. I didn't think winds would be a huge problem like the books say, turns out they are. They went flat out to about a foot tall and now keep coming off the strings and the ends of them wearing off flying around rubbing on the pots. I Reckon I might have to tie them to the strings for a while.

Also my goldings failed to appear from the ground so I cut the cascade rhizome in half and now have a couple of them.

shaunous said:
Some impressive hops going on here.
Mine are struggling in the constant daily heavy winds we are having here, out of character winds. I didn't think winds would be a huge problem like the books say, turns out they are. They went flat out to about a foot tall and now keep coming off the strings and the ends of them wearing off flying around rubbing on the pots. I Reckon I might have to tie them to the strings for a while.
Along with poor drainage, wind is a huge enemy of hops. My hops were going okay last year until an ex tropical cyclone floated down the east coast of Australia with 80 knot winds (and plenty of terrible flooding to quite a few QLD towns). The hop plants got smashed and the hop flowers shrivelled up and died.

So after all my issues with the cascade, its come good, and is starting to pop more shoots out. Its looking quite strong at the moment. I have pretty much neglected it, let the rain water it and thats about it. I have just started to water it on the hot days and thats it. I think it likes the abuse haha

Will have to string it up soon!

Ain't nuttin like rain water. You can water and water from the tap and fukall will happen, just a small shower of rain and things go mental. Even with our untreated river water here.

Back