2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Liam good to know. I think I'll get myself some mushroom compost and have a dig. Did you get any of that hail earlier in the week?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1385169753.006222.jpg
Here is my efforts, my wife found them at bunnings I don't know what flavor they are cause it the tag said was beer hops.
Anyway I've never grown hops before so I thought is throw them in and see what happens

Cascade has very red stems if that helps. Give it a few more weeks and you should be able to see that if its a Cascade.

carniebrew said:
So what did you do to the little bastards?
Hey Carnie,

I've found that a liberal spray with pyrethrum every few weeks is enough to keep the little shitz from decimating your plant. For me the worst offenders have been small green catterpillars and earwigs - they decimated one of my young passionfruit plants during spring.

...and a big rhyzome like that columbus, make sure it's well fed and watered (bit of seasol and powerfeed every few weeks).

Is it too late to start planting? stuff planting tomatoes for my wife on our 1/4 acre block

I'd love to plant cascade, but at this stage i have nfi where to get any hop ryzomes (i'm in melb)

If you can get one in a pot and plant it now you should still be able to get a yield. I have one or two in pots I should get rid of. The things grow like weeds man. :D

Ask your local Bunnings to get them in if they don't have them in stock maybe.

law-of-ohms said:
Is it too late to start planting? stuff planting tomatoes for my wife on our 1/4 acre block

I'd love to plant cascade, but at this stage i have nfi where to get any hop ryzomes (i'm in melb)

Or ask your friendly punkin to dig a couple up for you next season.

Hutch said:
Hey Carnie,

I've found that a liberal spray with pyrethrum every few weeks is enough to keep the little shitz from decimating your plant.
I have to give the bastards a spray every couple of days... damn white flies! Eating all my mint, basil and hops.

Has anyone had hops that grew really well one year and didn't do so well the next. I have a couple that haven't taken off much this year that I suspect is due to insufficient watering last season, especially towards the end of summer. I'm still 'hopping' they will take off. Might be the weather.
I notice Yob dug his up and replanted. Were yours not growing so well Yob?

Hoppy2B, I've heard they can soak up nutrients out of the soil pretty fast because they grow so quickly. Got advice last year that the best thing to do is to make a kind of nettle soup and use it to water the ground the hops grow in. Sure there must be other things you can add to the soil, even (horror!) commercial fertilisers.

Hi Hoppy2B.
hows your Victoria cuttings going? The one I got from you started well but has done nothing in the last month. The SAAZ and Goldings have started to take off though.

I dug them up to raise the beds and improve the soil, nothing to do with performance.

(also to trim the rhizomes back)

my second year bines are going OK now.
Trellis erected and supporting lines hung (4 per plot). Some lines are jute and others are pink construction cord (nylon).
PB290104.JPG
PB290105a.jpg
PB290106a.jpg

Note that the A-frame is tethered to the ground by nylon rope.
Original bamboo frame replaced with Treated pine (Smurf pine), due to bamboo being dry and brittle with age.
Hop photos soon.
Les

Thanks TimT, I've been fertilizing. Seems to be the ones that I didn't water as much that are the slackers this time around. Worth considering putting more fert on them though.

Hi tigertunes, Saaz tend to be early and Golding take off pretty early too normally. My Victoria have really started to move last week or two. Out of 9 Victoria plants I do have one that is only just starting to elongate. It may be a bit cooler where you are than my location. Keep the water up to it and it should start going any minute now.

OK thanks Yob, keep the water up to them and you should get a good crop. Cheers.

Back