2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shaunous said:
Some impressive hops going on here.

Mine are struggling in the constant daily heavy winds we are having here, out of character winds. I didn't think winds would be a huge problem like the books say, turns out they are. They went flat out to about a foot tall and now keep coming off the strings and the ends of them wearing off flying around rubbing on the pots. I Reckon I might have to tie them to the strings for a while.
I saw a good little trick when I dropped in on UncleBarrel the other day....he has twisted multiple strings together so that if/when needed, he can thread the bines between the strings to give them extra support. Might be worth a try in those winds?

carniebrew said:
I saw a good little trick when I dropped in on UncleBarrel the other day....he has twisted multiple strings together so that if/when needed, he can thread the bines between the strings to give them extra support. Might be worth a try in those winds?
Yeh I've used hay bailing twine, I've just done exactly what you said, ran them around clockwise but in and out of the strands.

Goldings saying to take shape, joint garden with strobe on here... Cascade a little slower.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1386384053553.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1386384080281.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1386384113768.jpg

Cascade and Ringwood 7 December 2013 003.jpgMy POR growing on 6 bamboo canes. Some of the bines have reached the end of the 4 metre canes.Cascade and Ringwood 7 December 2013 004.jpg

I got really lazy and only just put some strings up but they're looking ok. No where near as big as others on here. Not sure what to do when they get up to the roof though.

The chinook is going way better than the por.

First year hop garden for me. 14 varities going well. All growing at different rates but I think they will even out in the end. I got them in late about 6-8 weeks ago. Should I run string 'ladders' between each 2 strings of each plant for support?

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Looks like yours are doing ok Pilgrim. I have no idea about the ladder suggestion. Its up to you to decide what works best.

The Flinders looks interesting, I wouldn't mind getting some rhizome if they're any good, maybe swap for any variety I have that you might like.

You may well have trouble next year with them being so close together, they will spread and bines from one will pop out on its next door neighbour.. Looks great though ;) a rough rule of thumb is a couple of meters between varieties.

Ok thanks Yob. I have a couple more trusses and plenty of room so I will spread them out further next winter.

My garden has been plugging along very slowly, I thought that being over the septic trench they would be well fed....everything else grows like the clappers....
Anywho, fed with Seasol 2 weeks ago and they have tripled in size........wish I'd started that 6 weeks ago...lesson learned, mistake made, never again.

I think I lost this year's window with my hops. I have gotten 2 red earth and 2 Cascade from Colin, they were doing good in the bag and sprouting already. I prepared the best soil for them with manure, worm castings etc, built the trellis on top, made a mound and put them under ground. It has been 3 weeks today and I am not seeing anything. The weather was quite strange lately but mostly sunny and warm. I don't want to loose my rhizommes, what would you recommend? Should I dig them out and take them into intensive care in pots?

GurkanYeniceri said:
I think I lost this year's window with my hops. I have gotten 2 red earth and 2 Cascade from Colin, they were doing good in the bag and sprouting already. I prepared the best soil for them with manure, worm castings etc, built the trellis on top, made a mound and put them under ground. It has been 3 weeks today and I am not seeing anything. The weather was quite strange lately but mostly sunny and warm. I don't want to loose my rhizommes, what would you recommend? Should I dig them out and take them into intensive care in pots?
Mine took ages to get going man... easily 3 weeks before i saw a shoot.

Im no expert but maybe just wait and see?

I will give them another week and pour some seasol on top. Hope they show their heads soon.

dont over fertilise while young, its likely they are getting some roots down.. resist the urge to dig at them as you may damage any young bines heading up

shaunous said:
Some impressive hops going on here.

Mine are struggling in the constant daily heavy winds we are having here, out of character winds. I didn't think winds would be a huge problem like the books say, turns out they are. They went flat out to about a foot tall and now keep coming off the strings and the ends of them wearing off flying around rubbing on the pots. I Reckon I might have to tie them to the strings for a while.
Strong winds in Newie too. Got a phone call at work on Friday last week, that my A-frame had toppled in the wind.

The other end had also come loose and actually twisted off one of the coach screws securing the support to the power pole.

Finally got around to re-connecting the lines to the power pole, untangling the bines on the ground and untangling the support strings, and finally re-erecting the A-frame (with help from my daughter - it's not a one-man job).

Lost a few bines and got some slippage of the strings, which I could mostly drag back into place.

Onward and upward. Chinook, Mt Hood and Perle have some bines up to 3 m tall.

Yob said:
dont over fertilise while young, its likely they are getting some roots down.. resist the urge to dig at them as you may damage any young bines heading up
Himmmm, may be too late for fertilizer tip :blink: . I already added sheep and chook manure plus worm castings to the soil.

But this morning, I noticed one of the Cascade is shooting out. They are obviously building the root structure first.

Latest posts

Back