2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DU99, the older leaves will go brown and shouldn't be an issue.

gava, if you grow your hops on bamboo poles then you only need a wire at 2 metres to tie them onto. In other words, replace the string with poles and go as high as you like. That's what I do. The bamboo I have available to me only goes to around 4 - 5 metres. I don't need to anchor the bottom of my bamboo poles, but I think that really long poles would need to be anchored on the bottom. Obviously tie the poles to your wire.

Carnie, I definitely think you are not watering enough. I suggest you give it a bucket of water every second day. Larger plants will need a couple of buckets every second day and full size plants will need 6 or more per day in hot weather.

Chinook has reached over 4 metres now (top of the trellis on that end).
Chinook 161213.jpg

Mt Hood is up over 3 metres now too.
Mt Hood 161213.jpg

A few cones starting to form now. A little early, isn't it?

Yes carnie.
I cut them down at the soil.
New shoots seem nice and green.

hoppy2B said:
Carnie, I definitely think you are not watering enough. I suggest you give it a bucket of water every second day. Larger plants will need a couple of buckets every second day and full size plants will need 6 or more per day in hot weather.
Should I be watering based solely on time? I just figured I'd monitor my soil's moisture level and water when they need it...wouldn't that be the best approach?

carniebrew said:
Should I be watering based solely on time? I just figured I'd monitor my soil's moisture level and water when they need it...wouldn't that be the best approach?
If your fancy enough to have a garden water meter, well than yes.

As Jane Edmanson would advise stick your digit in the surrounding soil and if its damp don't water, if its dry add water. I don't think I would be adding to much feed i.e. fortnightly would be fine but I would be adding trace elements to the surrounding soil as someone's earlier ( picture ) post looked like it was lacking in something.

The soil around my hops is nice and moist usually, a good layer of sugarcane mulch keeps a lot of moisture in the soil.
However I did give the soil a good soaking this morning before this obscenely hot day in good ol' Melbs. Hope this combats any evaporation.

My plants have not gotten to the lofty heights like some of the photos here, but doing well.
Cascade has shot up to nearly 2 meters, probably grown a foot in the last week alone !!
Chinook a bit behind, and as discussed earlier the columbus is back to infant stage after a good pruning back to eliminate some downy mildew. New shoots on their way up now.
By the looks of things I have the startings of cones, or laterals growing to from just above the leaves, would they be the flowers ??

I don't care if I only get a few cones, really just looking forward to popping a fresh cone into a pint of beer !!

I am not after hops this year just cloning off my original plants, only got one of each EKG & Challenger even planted a leaf and it formed roots but it will not make a rhizome, it has got to be a bine to form a rhizome.
If, as some one in an earlier post was going to try to get a male plant does this affect the female plants as does its cousin?
I do realise that the females will go to seed if a male plant is within cooee but does it turn females into males?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1387523640.079947.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1387523640.079947.jpg
My cascade's hang'n in there at Hunter Valley 38'.

37c - 40c the last 3 days, main bine on cluster has grown 3 feet in that time, plants are looking good since i started hitting them with compost 'tea' every 3 days and seasol every 2nd week.
Water everyday.

Yum beer, been doing same.
Been blasted by pest control dude / weeks ago
Neglected for 3 days ((shift work))
Now heat.

Some of mine have gone over the top of my wire, Do you cut them back or just let them go?

Hi all,

Time for an update. My second year hops are going well.

Chinook - almost at the top and has some large cones
Cluster (dwarf?) - 3 meters and cones ready to pick
Saaz - 6 meters and cones starting to form
Golding - was the first to shoot but stalled for a while but it has started to grow again recently.

20131221_082302.jpg

Is that a water feature erected in the middle of the bush?

Latest posts

Back