2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

Just took some photos of my hops here in South Brazil. They are growing very well, mostly WGV and Mitellfrue that were my first hop varieties, along with Phoenix, but this one seems start to grow later, all of these second year. And my first year Golding and Cascade, both just planted on the ground, and Victoria that is still in the pot because I think it is still too undeveloped to plant on the ground.

WGV have started to flower for a couple of weeks ago, is it normal? It's not to early? More flowers will come in different times, when do I pick it? My latitude here is 30.

WGV
SAM_1817.JPGSAM_1834.JPGSAM_1825.JPG

Phoenix
SAM_1844.JPG

Hallertauer Mitellfrue
SAM_1851.JPGSAM_1853.JPG

My new flagpole trellis with Goldings
SAM_1845.JPGSAM_1847.JPG

Cascade
SAM_1848.JPG

Victoria
SAM_1850.JPG

Cheers,
Pedro Joel Filho

Gday Pedro. Ive often wondered with the amount of swapping that goes on how correct the names of the strains of hop that are passed on are. What would stop PoR being passed on as cascade and then passed on and on etc...

Only reason I say this is because my cascade have a far different shaped leaf then yours, yours is tear dropped shaped like a strawberry plant, mine is more like a three pronged leaf as in your phoenix photo.

One of us has to have an incorrectly named variety dont we?

Actually KK, I think it's quite normal to have different shaped leaves for the same hop variety, you can even get 'tear drop' and 'three pronged' leaves on the very same hop plant. From what I have read it comes down to plant maturity, leaf position, and which leaves sprout early vs later. Here's one thread that covers it: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/different-leaves-same-hop-plant-414758/

Just realised my Chinook is starting to take off...this is the plant that had the broken bine a month or so back 'coz I didn't get it a string to climb quickly enough. Broke that bit off, and all of a sudden there's now two bines climbing the middle string, and one winding its way up the right hand string. I just put the left hand string in today 'coz there's another bine starting to look for something to grab onto:

IMG-20131122-00039.jpg

Oh and in relation to the post above, my Chinook has a number of different shaped leaves, some teardrop/heart shape, others with 3 points.

My Columbus, which produced a heap of short sprouts quickly (I planted a root ball with heaps of buds on it) is still stalled, and now has a bunch of brownish holes in the leaves. Can't spot any critters but will have to keep an eye out.

IMG-20131122-00041.jpg

Great news, carniebrew! Mine still hasn't grown a millimetre in weeks, so hopefully mine's about to do the same.

With regards to those hole/spots on your leaves - my hops & beans had exactly the same marks about 2 weeks ago. I discovered a few tiny caterpillars were the culprits. They were too small to see the first time, but after I found the first one, I looked more carefully & found a few more. Or you could give it a week & they'll be easy to find when they're a bit bigger ;-)

View attachment 66449
Nearly to the top of a six metre rope :) oh the joys of a semi tropic climate , which will bite me in the ass as usual with loose cones unlike the nice tight ones you suffering southerners will be harvesting .

edit; just noticed a rouge bine needing to be disciplined

My Goldings has reached the top as has one of the chinooks, Cascade has a bunch of bines all reaching up, victoria is having a crack too.. the Por has a bunch of bines all going hell for leather and the Canterbury Goldings growing up the front of the house is making for the sky as well.

Its going to be a good year.

Thinking Harvest brew party and brew :beerbang:

northside novice said:
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Nearly to the top of a six metre rope :) oh the joys of a semi tropic climate , which will bite me in the ass as usual with loose cones unlike the nice tight ones you suffering southerners will be harvesting .

edit; just noticed a rouge bine needing to be disciplined
I was under the impression that cone structure was variety dependent.

If you want tight cones, grow Cluster or POR. They are varieties I have grown with tight cones. Cluster being the better of the two.

Others might be able to suggest some more varieties with tight cones also.

I am not after tight cones as such mate , more just a cone of some kind . Some years I have had cones so loose you can see through them , with no cone shape to be seen at all,
the milder the summer the tighter the cone is what I have found .we don't get many mild summers in Brisbane though . but that doesn't seem to stop all the hop farmers around the area :p

edit. 6 cones in one post :ph34r:

hoppy2B said:
In other news, I notice some severe hail in the news, mostly in S.E. Queensland. Has anyone's hop yard been hammered last couple of days?
Photos taken Monday afternoon

Glad they weren't much bigger than a 5 cent piece.

First time hop grower here with Cascade and Goldings in much smaller pots than I would have liked as they shot much quicker than I anticipated. I know it'd be too late to transplant now but I'm interested in how they handle being moved while in their growing period. Or is it best to only move when dormant?

technobabble66 said:
Great news, carniebrew! Mine still hasn't grown a millimetre in weeks, so hopefully mine's about to do the same.

With regards to those hole/spots on your leaves - my hops & beans had exactly the same marks about 2 weeks ago. I discovered a few tiny caterpillars were the culprits. They were too small to see the first time, but after I found the first one, I looked more carefully & found a few more. Or you could give it a week & they'll be easy to find when they're a bit bigger ;-)
So what did you do to the little bastards?

KingKong said:
Gday Pedro. Ive often wondered with the amount of swapping that goes on how correct the names of the strains of hop that are passed on are. What would stop PoR being passed on as cascade and then passed on and on etc...

Only reason I say this is because my cascade have a far different shaped leaf then yours, yours is tear dropped shaped like a strawberry plant, mine is more like a three pronged leaf as in your phoenix photo.

One of us has to have an incorrectly named variety dont we?
Hi kingkong. I understand your concern and think that sometimes the strains may be confused if people don't care too much to identify the varieties. About the leaf shape, I agree with carniebrew, the leaf shape varies according to maturity of the plants/bines, because another plant originated from the same rhizome that is planted for longer, have greener and 3-lobed leaves in plus developed bines, along with teardrop shape in the base of bines.

LiquidGold, You should be able to transplant them. They do best in the ground if you can plant them out. Otherwise the largest pot you can get your hands on.

I had thought to plant them straight in the ground but the soil here needs so much work and I spontaneously bought them before having anything prepared. My original plan was to use an old bathtub or build a raised box so they can at least send some roots down eventually yet have a good start in some proper nutrient rich medium. I'm hoping to be a bit more organised for next year but I might still look to pot them into something bigger if you reckon they're pretty hardy. Cheers

Still early days in my growth , looks like some nice rain and me trimming everything back has given rise to new shoots! Hopefully it kicks off!

So what did you do to the little bastards?

Slowly checked every leaf, grabbed each caterpillar found. Ripped their heads off, and threw the bodies at the base of the bines - as a warning to other illegally migrating caterpillars. I'm sure it deters the number of future caterpillars...

Actually, it's just to return the nutrients they steal back to the plant.

Tbh, this works while the plant's small. Once it gets bigger, I'll probably use pyrethrum.

I had thought to plant them straight in the ground but the soil here needs so much work and I spontaneously bought them before having anything prepared. My original plan was to use an old bathtub or build a raised box so they can at least send some roots down eventually yet have a good start in some proper nutrient rich medium. I'm hoping to be a bit more organised for next year but I might still look to pot them into something bigger if you reckon they're pretty hardy. Cheers

FYI the roots are shallow and spread out within the first couple of hundred mm. Mine are growing quite well in (on) solid clay with just a few bags of soil and mushie compost layered over / turned into the top layer. Theyre happy to be pulled out of the ground also, I've done it twice (3rd year zomes)

I have 3 varieties here: Chinook (2nd year), EKG and fuggles (both 1st year). I'd love to put in an American flavour hop next year. The Chinook and EKG are going great guns, at the top of the trellis (4ish metres) already.

uploadfromtaptalk1385152950219.jpg

Back