2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
East Kent Goldings is up, up and away :D

East Kent Goldings - Oct 2013.JPG

This rhizome has 5 shoots on it, do i just let them all grow up the wires?

personally i'd cut back the 2 smaller ones and let the other 3 grow, if it's 1st year though just let it do it's thing

My Chinook seems to be so tiny because the rhizome is starting to rot :(
However the Hallertauer i put in last week is going mental

I've got an EKG bine making a break for it, has grown a little set of roots off it and would be easy to snip off if anyone wants to pick it up?

Has anyone in brisbane had any luck growing hops? I bought a chinook rhyzome last year and planted it in a pot in the backyard it started to grow got about 1m high then stopped growing and died, i cut it back to the ground thinking it would grow again. But nothing has changed i dug the dirt up to check if the root was rotten but it looks ok and i have been watering it every day and it gets plenty of sunshine

Any tips on maybe getting it to grow?

Resist the urge to dig it up, the very first shoots are pretty fragile. It'll grow when it's good and ready.

My Chinooks on the Gold Coast sat around for ages before going nuts in the last week.

For probably the previous 6 weeks, I'd had small bunches of growth, more of a shrubbery than bines/vines. Then BAM! bines galore and probably grown a metre in height in the last 7 days.

EKG & Fuggles also growing strong.

DarkFaerytale said:
personally i'd cut back the 2 smaller ones and let the other 3 grow, if it's 1st year though just let it do it's thing
this is the first year and first time growing hops.

My Cascade, which took off quickly after planting, seems to have stalled at around a metre tall. In fact most of my 4 plants seem to have really slowed down...is it Melbourne's return to cool weather in the last month?

The leaves of the Cascade have started to ever so slightly turn brown on the outside...it's planted in 50kg of potting mix, and I haven't fed it any kind of fertilizer. Should I just let it go, or feed it something special? The potting mix seems to have a good level of moisture, not wet, but not too dry either.

I have the same problem with my three. Coulmbus, cascade and chinook.
I think there is a thread somewhere on here about it too.
I have been keeping mine watered, not overly, and a feed of seasol and powerfeed about once every week or two.
Still getting the browning of leaves and the also have stalled.
Mine get half day sun.

Another mate has the same problem, but his get all day sun.

Maybe it is a Melbourne weather thing ?
Maybe they will start to get going when the warmer months arrive.

CB..mines in a pot and gave it water with seasol and a couple scoops of all purpose fertilizer.they need a feed.mines in full sun
wb6skl.jpg

I hadn't fed them anything since planting them in early September. From what I'd read you're supposed to "feed" them rarely, usually only if you see any problems occurring? Anyway, last night I pitched the Cascade 40gm of "Easy Wetta" fertiliser granules and gave it a good soaking, see if that makes anything happen.

Here's a pic of the Cascade from above:

IMG-20131101-00025.jpg

And a close-up of some of the leaves:

IMG-20131101-00026.jpg

And finally my Hersbrucker, which I reckon has looked like this for about a month, it's hardly budged. Looks really healthy, but just not growing vertically at all at the moment:

IMG-20131101-00027.jpg

image.jpg

Goldings on the left, Hersbrucker on the right. Both making some vertical progress

Hey CB,
Your plants look fine. Just some of the leaves getting a bit older I'd guess.
Maybe just check under the leaves for sap suckers or caterpillars. No obvious signs, but at this time of the year they'll start to hit the leaves. It might explain a few of the slight blemishes on the leaves.
Where did you read it's best not to feed them during the growing season? What is the theory behind that idea?
If there's a good reason I'll have to change what I'm doing. I'm currently treating my chinook the same as all my plants, esp cropping plants: small-moderate amounts of dynamic lifter every 4-6 weeks, and nitrosol & seasol every 2-3 weeks.
All my other plants are going crazy. The chinook was growing an inch a day(!), then stopped about 10 days ago with the cold weather.
It should be a foot taller by the end of tomorrow, though! (23*C today & 28*C tmrw)

punkin said:
nobody cares about my poor mangled hopses.... :(
I was impressed by the leaf splatter on the neighbours shed. It must have been a massacre.

nobody cares about my poor mangled hopses.... :(

Commiserations punkin!

I did give it a minute's (stunned) silence at the time, to honour the fallen leaves.
But what else is there to say? Don't plant your hops under hailstorms ?... :-/ Shield them with your body next time ?
I hope they're recovering well or will be soon.

And feed them some o' that seasol, quick smart!

Or in ER parlance,
50ml Seasol, STAT!!

Thanks guys, if i had been sheilding them i have doubts about my ability to tell the tale coherently without some involuntary movement or a yipyip.

Latest posts

Back