2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, Melbourne has had some filthy weather the last 2 days and this just happens to coincide with my hops, which had recently been growing like weeds, to start wilting and looking like they are about to die... so is it the weather and rain thats the cause of my hops looking pretty dismal, or should i start looking for other causes??

What fertilizer regime have you been using? It's very easy to over fertilize with a soluble fertilizer like Thrive or Aquasol.
If I were in your position I would definitely dig up your rhizome and take a look at it, the sooner the better. If it's still alive you could soak the rhizome in water to draw out salts.
Alternatively source another rhizome. You still have time to get something like a Chinook as this variety is notoriously slow off the mark.
Check with Doc Smurto as he was selling some earlier in the year.
Good luck with that.

What fertilizer regime have you been using? It's very easy to over fertilize with a soluble fertilizer like Thrive or Aquasol.
If I were in your position I would definitely dig up your rhizome and take a look at it, the sooner the better. If it's still alive you could soak the rhizome in water to draw out salts.
Alternatively source another rhizome. You still have time to get something like a Chinook as this variety is notoriously slow off the mark.
Check with Doc Smurto as he was selling some earlier in the year.
Good luck with that.

It was just some potting mix that i got from Bunnings... would that have caused the problem if the mix I got had really soluble fertilizer?

Im thinking ill have a crack at trying to fix the EKG i have and replant another rhizome in the other pot.

If anyone has any rhizomes let me know

Cheers

From what I understand simple potting mix does not have much by the way of nutrient in it, sure it's better than sand but still requires 'pimping' to get the best results.

For example, it will not contain trace elements or (much) organic material to break down into plant nutrient.

I use potting mix with compost, (50/50 mix approx) a sparing handful of blood and bone and then some slow release trace element fertiliser mixed in and then hay mulch on top and then cow manure/compost on the very top... (oh and some fire ash in there as well)

this gives plenty of long term food for the bebbes and I will also give them an extra bump when they start to flower.

Yob

It was just some potting mix that i got from Bunnings... would that have caused the problem if the mix I got had really soluble fertilizer?

Im thinking ill have a crack at trying to fix the EKG i have and replant another rhizome in the other pot.

If anyone has any rhizomes let me know

Cheers

Drainage is critical in pots. Too much water might have caused a blockage in the drainage holes and the rhizomes may have rotted.

If you want to know more about hop growing, there will be two presentations on hops at the Queensland Homebrewing Conference on November 5. The first will be by Tim Lord, Boss and Guru of Hop Products Australia. He will be talking about new hops, new directions in using hops, and there should be a bunch of tastings and give aways as well.

Tim will be followed by AHB's "QldKev" who will be talking about his successes in growing hops in Queensland, which by all accounts is pretty difficult and he is having some success!

So if you want to know more, head to www.theqhc.com.au and get some tickets. Only three weeks left to book.

Dunno bout u guys but I'm in Adelaide and my hops have all pretty much come to a stand still at about 20cm tall.
Maybe the crappy wet weather we are still having. Has been bugger all sun lately too! Where is the sun it's bloody October!

fret not... tis early in the season and bines are still coming through. From what I understand some variety's tend to go into a dormant stage, probably building roots etc.

Yob

My hops are near Adelaide and I have a Saaz that's going ballistic. Everything else is just slow and bushy. Chinooks haven't even emerged.
Wonder what could have killed the potted hops described earlier. Commercial potting mix is normally well drained, as long as you only put it into the pot just damp. Roots can sometimes block drainage holes. You should be able to see if the pot is well drained.
Good idea to mix half potting mix and half manure. Shouldn't need any other fertilizer. Manure is much safer than chemical fertilizer.
Other than that I wouldn't have a clue. :unsure:

Potted hops at my rented home - Mt Hood, year 2; slow off the mark, now caning it sky high - Tettnang, year 2; came on quick, now slowed to nada and look f***ed - Golding, year 2; steady growth, looking damn good - Perle, year 3 (1st year potted), looked f***ed for ages, now reaching for the sky. Dunno how my Chinook is doing in my old man's vegie patch, but going on past experience will give me too many cones for 12 months brewing.

Bummer man, you must be able to find some somewhere....

I finally rigged up my trellis, I think I deserve a brew after all that hard work :lol:
ao2t4y.jpg

My Chinook and "bits and peices" that were laying around trellis. This should work right??

My POR which was to the left had one bud come through the ground then just died, not sure what happened there.

chinook.jpg

Does anyone put the spent hops from brew day on/around their hops as mulch?

Just wondering where to put them all

HC

I think I read that hop trub on garden beds is bad. But sure some one will know

My Chinook and "bits and peices" that were laying around trellis. This should work right??

My POR which was to the left had one bud come through the ground then just died, not sure what happened there.
It should work, but it will be a PITA to unweave the dead bines after the season is over.

meh, ill try again next year... fail

I planted 2 in a pot that were quite ill for various reasons, including some neglect by me, the Tett was the first to show (on the far side in the photo).. I was surprised a few days ago when I walked out there to have a look and another bine was poking through, 2 days later and there was another (Looked different from the tett so I was suspicious)... the new bine shoots ended up being from the POR which I thought was dead.... swift and careful transplant into another pot (by the way those 'pots' were here when I moved in) and quickly rigged up a trellis system for them..

dont give up faith yet, they are hardy and can surprise you...

1.JPG

Here's my wee fellas. Been in about 8 weeks.

L-R Goldings, Goldings, Chinook, Cascade ... yeah, pretty sure that's right :unsure:

North facing and run up to the carport roof about 2.5 m ... probably should move them further apart now I think about it.

They're in organic potting mix, get a wetting about a litre each / day, and a weekly dose of pelletised chook-poop or diluted bokashi juice. Seem to be humming along ok at the moment.

2011_10_08_15.45.08.jpg

2011_10_08_15.45.31.jpg

Planted my first hop rhizome ever on the balcony today!
Really happy about it. No trellies or anything yet, just a bag of potting mix in a biggish pot with the rhizome hoping something will happen :lol:

Thanks a lot Barls!

Bjorn

Back