2011 Close-enough-to-get-to-adelaide Autumn Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think he'd thought it through enough to realise that he'd have to brew if he wants to swap though.

Well if the host gets one beer from each swapper as part of the benefits of hosting, then brewing a batch is not necessary! :icon_cheers:

I brewed my swap beer today.
10 min IPA
86% Pale
7% Wheat
7% Cara aroma
2g/L Citra
2g/L Magnum
2g/L Amarillo
2g/L Cascade

60 IBU, 6% ABV

That's taking organisation a bit too far isn't it? I had thought that I may bottle 2 slabs of what I was meant to be brewing today. It's a rebrew of the accidental IPA that I had on tap at the last swap.

96% bb ale
4% med crystal
columbus everywhere

I mashed in at 11 this morning & didn't feel well so went & had a lie down with an alarm set. I felt worse when the alarm went off so turned it off. Over my 11 hour (so far) mash I've lost a degree. I'm not sure what was causing me to lose so much temp previously but it seems to be ok now. I don't have high hopes for this beer.

That's taking organisation a bit too far isn't it? I had thought that I may bottle 2 slabs of what I was meant to be brewing today. It's a rebrew of the accidental IPA that I had on tap at the last swap.

96% bb ale
4% med crystal
columbus everywhere

I mashed in at 11 this morning & didn't feel well so went & had a lie down with an alarm set. I felt worse when the alarm went off so turned it off. Over my 11 hour (so far) mash I've lost a degree. I'm not sure what was causing me to lose so much temp previously but it seems to be ok now. I don't have high hopes for this beer.
If you get this boiled tonight it should be fine, leave it to the morning and I think it may start to get a bit too sour.

With a bit of luck I'll get my swap beer down this week.
Rough numbers are

Belgian Pale Ale
60% Ale Malt
32% Pilsner
4% Carapils
4% Melanoidin
Touch of Roast Barley for colour
Slovenian Styrians @ 60 to 20IBU
1/2 gm/litre Styrians at 0
WLP500 Trappist Ale

Nige

If you get this boiled tonight it should be fine, leave it to the morning and I think it may start to get a bit too sour.

I ended up boiling it yesterday. It smelt ok but I reckon I'll rebrew it for the swap & avoid subjecting everyone else to my 23 hour mash beer.

I can't remember if I mentioned it earlier in the thread but I've still got one of each of the beers from the last swap. Would everyone be keen for me to bring them along to the next swap or are we likely to have more than enough beer without me doing that?

I ended up boiling it yesterday. It smelt ok but I reckon I'll rebrew it for the swap & avoid subjecting everyone else to my 23 hour mash beer.

I can't remember if I mentioned it earlier in the thread but I've still got one of each of the beers from the last swap. Would everyone be keen for me to bring them along to the next swap or are we likely to have more than enough beer without me doing that?

It could be a cracker sour brew mate!

I would be inclined to save the bottled beers for yourself and Mrs Hatch...

It smelt & tasted OK when I got the 1st runnings out & seemed just like a normal wort once I got it in the kettle. I'll see how it smells when I pitch it. I was going to bottle the whole batch anyway so can taste a couple before the swap & brew again if it's terrible or swap it if it's OK. I'm leaning towards a rebrew though.

There's unlikely to be a beer shortage at a swap I suppose. I'm happy to bring them along if that's what the majority want. I'm happy to drink them as well if no one wants me to bring them.

Ok, so after attending the beer presentation last night, I've been thinking... I would love to brew a good and proper IPA (not like my piss weak attempt at it I shared around last nite :rolleyes: ) to use as my swap beer

Having drunk a few proper IPA's since I brewed that said IPA, I now know that it has to really quite malty aswell as hoppy. Since I've picked up a bunch of Nelson Sauvin and Pacific Gem hops, I was wondering if they'd be good in a big IPA. Has anyone has had much experience with PG??

Being new to AG (read: 5 brews) I'm yet to formulate a recipe myself, so I half plaugerised off AHB but tweaked a little.

60% Maris Otter
35% Munich I
5% Caraamber

OG around 1060??

Pacific Gem to 50 odd IBUs, lots of late additions or maybe some Nelson Sauvin late

FWIW I have 400g of NS and 200g of PG. Phil will probably say use them all!!! Definitely can...

The actual recipe I'm tweaking had all the hops added hopburst style over the course of the 60 mins... I'd like to try this for depth of flavour

It will be BIAB'ed :eek: & No chilled :eek:

Also plenty of yeasts on hand... WLP001, WLP002, US05, S-04, Notto, Coopers Recultured, 1469, 1007

Basically, I need some help... Being fresh to AG, I could brew something dead easy, but still cock it up. So I figure why not go all out and really make a mess of it :p

Any thoughts.

Thanks fellas

Tyler

FWIW I have 400g of NS and 200g of PG. Phil will probably say use them all!!! Definitely can...

Phil would tell you to buy more hops. That's enough hops to brew with but what will you smoke while you brew?

Good call... Have to have a think about that... 09 POR pellets?? Have plenty of them, Hatch, are they any good for smoking?? :p

Ok, so after attending the beer presentation last night, I've been thinking... I would love to brew a good and proper IPA (not like my piss weak attempt at it I shared around last nite :rolleyes: ) to use as my swap beer

Having drunk a few proper IPA's since I brewed that said IPA, I now know that it has to really quite malty aswell as hoppy. Since I've picked up a bunch of Nelson Sauvin and Pacific Gem hops, I was wondering if they'd be good in a big IPA. Has anyone has had much experience with PG??

Being new to AG (read: 5 brews) I'm yet to formulate a recipe myself, so I half plaugerised off AHB but tweaked a little.

60% Maris Otter
35% Munich I
5% Caraamber

OG around 1060??

Pacific Gem to 50 odd IBUs, lots of late additions or maybe some Nelson Sauvin late

The actual recipe I'm tweaking had all the hops added hopburst style over the course of the 60 mins... I'd like to try this for depth of flavour

It will be BIAB'ed :eek: & No chilled :eek:

Also plenty of yeasts on hand... WLP001, WLP002, US05, S-04, Notto, Coopers Recultured, 1469, 1007

Basically, I need some help... Being fresh to AG, I could brew something dead easy, but still cock it up. So I figure why not go all out and really make a mess of it :p

Any thoughts.

Thanks fellas

Tyler

Can't help with hopbursting, not my thing but for me late additions for an IPA like a 1060 sort of range should be in the 4g/l mark if youre a hop head and 2.5-3g/l if you like a little more balance. With that much munich you could push it a bit.

How about a blend of your PG and NS at 3g/l at 20, 15, 10 5 and flame out So for a no-chilled version I'd shift the hopping to 10, 5, flame out cube and 'dry' hop at 3 days into the ferment. The blend I'd choose would be 2/3rds NS and 1/3rd PG but I don't like PG...it should be a ncie smack in the face with a good hit of bitterness.

using those hops use US05 or WLP001, the english varieties which support english hops well may muddle your flavours with those hops, as will coopers and the 1007. Notto will strip flavour out as will S04.

Just my opinion...

From here I see things will be:
[1] Numbers increase a lot and maybe we can consider two separate man swap lists
[2] Numbers stay as they are or increase slightly and we do the mini backup list
side swap or [3] Numbers drop and we go back to one swap list (but consider that
at the last swap, quite a few couldn't make it to the swap meet but still put beers in
for the swap).

So this is what really goes on at these "brew days"
cheers GF

Can't help with hopbursting, not my thing but for me late additions for an IPA like a 1060 sort of range should be in the 4g/l mark if youre a hop head and 2.5-3g/l if you like a little more balance. With that much munich you could push it a bit.

How about a blend of your PG and NS at 3g/l at 20, 15, 10 5 and flame out So for a no-chilled version I'd shift the hopping to 10, 5, flame out cube and 'dry' hop at 3 days into the ferment. The blend I'd choose would be 2/3rds NS and 1/3rd PG but I don't like PG...it should be a ncie smack in the face with a good hit of bitterness.

using those hops use US05 or WLP001, the english varieties which support english hops well may muddle your flavours with those hops, as will coopers and the 1007. Notto will strip flavour out as will S04.

Just my opinion...

Thanks RK. So just going over you're post, are you saying that a no-chilled version of this would only have late additions? There is no 60 mins addtion? Am I on the same page??

What I mean is, are you purely referring to my late additions and assuming I have made the 60 min addition already... Shit, that still doesn't look right... Maybe this

Above grain bill to 1060ish

PG & NS to 50IBU @ 60 mins

3g/L blend of PG/NS at 10, 5, Cube and the same for Dry Hopping

US05

Is that what you meant or are you saying to drop the 60min addition because of the dirty no-chilling. I'm thinking that will/may result in a higher IBU??

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance, but I'd love to be able to pull this off. Never formulated any sort of recipe for AG. Just copied others verbatim

Cheers

Tyler

Back