2011 Close-enough-to-get-to-adelaide Autumn Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pitched what I thought may be my swap beer tonight. I'm buggered if I know what happened to my efficiency that day (weekend) but 32L @ 1.062 from 10kg of grain doesn't seem right somehow. Surely a 23 hour mash should give me better efficiency? I chucked 70g of columbus in with the yeast & wort hoping to hide the flaws but I can see myself brewing again for this swap.

I'll bottle the lot so I'll have 3 dozen longnecks of whatever ends up being my swap beer as well as a few stubbies to test. Do we know how many bottles we'd need for a side swap?

I'm buggered if I know what happened to my efficiency that day (weekend) but 32L @ 1.062 from 10kg of grain doesn't seem right somehow. Surely a 23 hour mash should give me better efficiency?
Not necessarily - depends how you sparge. I got 32L of 1.060 pre-boil from 9kg of grain, which was slightly lower than expected, but not hugely so. 2.5 hour boil fixed that right up.

Do we have a tentative location for this yet? Anyone keen enough to put up their hand?

Someone volunteered several pages back. By page 10 of this thread he's probably sick of us & has left AHB to take up quilting though.

I may as well put up my obligatory winge post about bottling....

I bottled my swap beer the on Saturday. I hate bottling!!!

The amazing thing though is the sense of satisfaction when complete. Nothing like 30 full bottles to put a smile on your face.

Bring on the swap.

i can spare a few dozen coopers longnecks if anyone wants them pm me, I'm at Croydon Pk near brewboys

Do we know how many bottles we'd need for a side swap?
Gday Hatchy,

Somehow, we need to get people to indicate whether they want to
be part of the side swap or not - including those on the backup list
(some of whom might only be interested in the main swap).

Should we start asking/pm-ing people to indicate if they want to be
in the side swap?

Tom.

PS. Pitched the wort from the larger cube 4 days ago - decided not to
risk adding more to the wort, which measured as 1.066 and guestimating
both cubes add up to 36L, this is bang on to the beersmith calculations.

I was planning on my side swap beer to be a belgian tripel - in stubbies :ph34r: :lol: .

Reasoning being is: 2 Stubbies, each with a different Belgian Yeast (1388 & 3522). Plus its 10% abv, so stubbies much more appropriate.

Trust this is acceptable to fellow brewers.

I may as well put up my obligatory winge post about bottling....

I bottled my swap beer the on Saturday. I hate bottling!!!

The amazing thing though is the sense of satisfaction when complete. Nothing like 30 full bottles to put a smile on your face.

Bring on the swap.

Bloody sook.

i can spare a few dozen coopers longnecks if anyone wants them pm me, I'm at Croydon Pk near brewboys

I'm all good for bottles but will be at brewboys for a beer around 7 tomorrow if yr keen for 1 or 2.

Gday Hatchy,

Somehow, we need to get people to indicate whether they want to
be part of the side swap or not - including those on the backup list
(some of whom might only be interested in the main swap).

Should we start asking/pm-ing people to indicate if they want to be
in the side swap?

Tom.

PS. Pitched the wort from the larger cube 4 days ago - decided not to
risk adding more to the wort, which measured as 1.066 and guestimating
both cubes add up to 36L, this is bang on to the beersmith calculations.

There's still a couple of months for people to drop out so I wouldn't be too concerned about a side swap yet. We'll get a better idea about any potential side swap once more blokes have bottled their swap beers.

I'll probably only have the one batch in bottles which would mean that anyone in both swaps would end up with 2 of my beers which may be 2 more than they want.

I was planning on my side swap beer to be a belgian tripel - in stubbies :ph34r: :lol: .

Reasoning being is: 2 Stubbies, each with a different Belgian Yeast (1388 & 3522). Plus its 10% abv, so stubbies much more appropriate.

Trust this is acceptable to fellow brewers.

You have to be difficult don't you? I give away my good coopers bottles & get bloody malt shovel bottles in return.

Seriously, I doubt anyone will mind.

& from a couple of pages back:

Hi guys,

yep a date would be nice as i'm due on the 6th of april. should hopefully be able to make it.. haha i'm dreaming i think. lol

awesome

How set in stone is the date? If there's no Fury, who's going to drink the warm pint the next morning?

Snip...

Do we have a tentative location for this yet? Anyone keen enough to put up their hand?

We'd be happy to have it here again if there's no other venue available, I have 3 outside fridges now.

Widdley's last post was the one where he said may be able to host the swap which was a couple of months ago. I'm not suggesting that means that he doesn't want to host it but figured it was worth pointing out.

Second time lucky... :)
I've now got a couple of tasty brews kegged under the house, so just need to build a bottle filler-upper

I can potentially offer a hosting location in the Hills @ Bridgewater... The leader of the opposition has agreed not to block it, and I'll send the offspring, dogs, and chickens to a kennel for the night so they're not a nuissance / temptation :blink:

Site has quick access via freeway (20 mins from CBD) and is close to a bus stop
Has lots of room with no close neighbours, about 160 m2 outdoor undercover area, and a hectare of land
Also includes all the standard necessities like power, cooking facilities, tunes, fire pump and sprinkler system at no extra cost.

Dave

You have to be difficult don't you? I give away my good coopers bottles & get bloody malt shovel bottles in return.

Well there might be some nice pick axe stubbie bottles in the set, and they are thick glass and STRONG! :D

Thinking it might be just about time to dry hop this bad boy with 2g/L combo of Nelson Sauvin and Pacific Gem. Down to 1019... Too early??

Haven't had much experience with dry hopping...

FWIW, I had to up the OG using a small % of LDME as I stuffed the calcs. Tastes awesome but!

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Nev's Autumn 2011 Case Swap South Pacific IPA
Brewer: Tyler Henley
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 27.00 L
Boil Size: 35.16 L
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 9.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 58.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.38 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3Grain 60.0 %
2.55 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 35.0 %
0.36 kg Caraamber (Weyermann) (36.0 SRM) Grain 5.0 %
16.20 gm Pacific Gem [16.30%] (60 min) Hops 22.7 IBU
27.00 gm Pacific Gem [16.30%] (10 min) Hops 13.7 IBU
27.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [10.90%] (10 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
27.00 gm Pacific Gem [16.30%] (5 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
27.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [10.90%] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
27.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [10.90%] (0 min) Hops -
27.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [10.90%] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
27.00 gm Pacific Gem [16.30%] (0 min) Hops -
27.00 gm Pacific Gem [16.30%] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
0.54 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 7.29 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Step Add 38.88 L of water at 67.0 C 64.0 C 60 min

Notes:
------
0 Mins hop additions are cube hops.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dont want everyone who gets one to end up drinking what tastes like lawn clippings! :lol:

Anyone feel like throwing their hands up and saying when would be good time to dry hop??

Cheers

Tyler/Nev

Just finished brewing my swap beer - Galaxy American Pale Ale.

Borrowing a friends chiller for the first time so fingers crossed it all works out.

Cleaned some bottles this morning.
Currently procrastinating prior to filling them with beer.
Will get it done and sit them somewhere nice and dark all ready for swap day.
Nige

I was meant to brew my swap beer yesterday but ended up having Phil talk me into brewing a crazy beer instead. 400g of mash hops style crazy.

I was meant to brew my swap beer yesterday but ended up having Phil talk me into brewing a crazy beer instead. 400g of mash hops style crazy.

Sounds like a good swap beer to me.

Good point. I'll bottle 2 dozen longnecks & swap it assuming it doesn't turn out crap.

Are we any closer to deciding on a venue?

Are we any closer to deciding on a venue?
Considering your suggestion from last Wednesday night. ;)

My swap beer in bottles, 27 longnecks and 3 pints, might try my luck at the Tanunda Show. Should carb up by judging day in this weather.

Nige

Considering your suggestion from last Wednesday night. ;)

I didn't single you out did I? I'm pretty sure I suggested everyone there that night as a potential host. I'm surprised Glen Cooper didn't show more interest.

I didn't single you out did I? I'm pretty sure I suggested everyone there that night as a potential host. I'm surprised Glen Cooper didn't show more interest.

I doubt Glenn is all that keen to host our case swap after you yelled out 'Glen, put some ******* hops in your beer' or something else similarly subtle. :lol:

Back