2011 Close-enough-to-get-to-adelaide Autumn Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From here I see things will be:
[1] Numbers increase a lot and maybe we can consider two separate man swap lists
[2] Numbers stay as they are or increase slightly and we do the mini backup list
side swap or [3] Numbers drop and we go back to one swap list (but consider that
at the last swap, quite a few couldn't make it to the swap meet but still put beers in
for the swap).

So this is what really goes on at these "brew days"
cheers GF

I'd love to join in, but I'm just a kit and extract brewer - not even up to steeping grains yet, and only just learning about adding my own hops. I am about to start dragging my arse along to the brewers club though, so hopefully will learn enough to participate in next years. =)

I'd love to join in, but I'm just a kit and extract brewer - not even up to steeping grains yet, and only just learning about adding my own hops. I am about to start dragging my arse along to the brewers club though, so hopefully will learn enough to participate in next years. =)

If you want to brew an AG batch I'm always happy to have people brew on my gear. I've got mates brewing at my place tonight, Monday & Tuesday (I'm not sure yet when I'll brew). If yr keen to come round to see an AG brewday then PM me for the address. I'm at Marleston so not far from yr place.

Tanga,
These events aren't restricted to AG brewers, just seems that they are the ones quick off the mark to get their names on the swap list.
The day/night is all about mixing with like minded people and talking beer and crap, the later in the night the more of the latter :D
Check the wiki HERE for details. I'm pretty sure the date is the 26th March.
There is a back up list of those looking to do a mini swap which you may like to get involved with.
Cheers
Nige

Tyler,

I reckon that grain bill looks smashing. PG is a great hop IMO, I have made a few beers with it and love using it late (I get a pineapple/nectarine aroma late). You could aim for just a little bit higher OG (1.064) and then go Dogfishhead 60 min IPA style and continuously hop in the kettle. About 1 gram per minute of hops will be enough for a 20 litre batch. So 30 grams of each NS and PG mixed and then added throughout the boil...but then dry hop with 1 gram of each hop per litre brewed...I have brewed a clone of the dogfishhead 60 min IPA and found it very well balanced in all aspects, had it on tap at the Imperial Stout brewday and the keg blew (was close to empty though)...

Cheers
Phil

If you want to brew an AG batch I'm always happy to have people brew on my gear. I've got mates brewing at my place tonight, Monday & Tuesday (I'm not sure yet when I'll brew). If yr keen to come round to see an AG brewday then PM me for the address. I'm at Marleston so not far from yr place.

I freakin' love this place!

That's an awesome offer, last time I saw an AG brew I just came out thinking 'I could never do that'. But since then I've learnt more about yeast and hops and the properties of a few different grains - I'm almost ready to begin steeping. In a year I may be ready to take the AG step, but in the meantime I'd love to come and see a brewday. If it's at Marleston I can stay and help clean, etc, while you regale me with knowledge =).

Tanga,
These events aren't restricted to AG brewers, just seems that they are the ones quick off the mark to get their names on the swap list.
The day/night is all about mixing with like minded people and talking beer and crap, the later in the night the more of the latter :D
Check the wiki HERE for details. I'm pretty sure the date is the 26th March.
There is a back up list of those looking to do a mini swap which you may like to get involved with.
Cheers
Nige

A miniswap sounds ideal. How many bottles would I need for that? Even if not, then I'd still like to cruise along if I can. Talking about beer and crap (and later just crap) sounds just up my alley. =)

I freakin' love this place!

That's an awesome offer, last time I saw an AG brew I just came out thinking 'I could never do that'. But since then I've learnt more about yeast and hops and the properties of a few different grains - I'm almost ready to begin steeping. In a year I may be ready to take the AG step, but in the meantime I'd love to come and see a brewday. If it's at Marleston I can stay and help clean, etc, while you regale me with knowledge =).

A miniswap sounds ideal. How many bottles would I need for that? Even if not, then I'd still like to cruise along if I can. Talking about beer and crap (and later just crap) sounds just up my alley. =)
just don't fall asleep

just don't fall asleep
Hey - it was nothing personal, you just went to sleep while people were watching... several others took a nap with varying degrees of obviousness.

Anyway, that texta came off, yeah? :icon_cheers:

@Tanga - the swap is open to non-brewers as well (as in, people who aren't swapping, but are interested in seeing the goings on). However, if you think you can make something you're proud of, by all means brew up a batch and get it in the swap for feedback, as well as the opportunity to see what other people are capable/fond of.

Hey - it was nothing personal, you just went to sleep while people were watching... several others took a nap with varying degrees of obviousness.
haha. nothing like a ahb sharpie initiation!!!

On another note...

I'm ready to bottle my swap beer but I worked out i'm short a couple of bottles. I thought about popping over to Hatchy's to pick up a couple of bottles. But i figured it was a bit far for this time of night. I found a solution though. coopers tallies at the bottle o and i get to drink the beer. win!

I can't believe blokes have already brewed for the swap. I'm still not sure what I'll brew. Maltyhops brewed his swap beer at my place last night/this morning. I won't be in a hurry to brew after work again.

I brewed my swap beer today.
10 min IPA
86% Pale
7% Wheat
7% Cara aroma
2g/L Citra
2g/L Magnum
2g/L Amarillo
2g/L Cascade

60 IBU, 6% ABV

Tried this yesterday (albeit from primary, uncarbed and unclear) and this had every aspect of a 10 min IPA...the closest thing to hop heaven one can get. Aroma and flavour to die for.

Wouldn't be surprised if Boston has to pull out of the swap for an unknown reason :lol:
l_dd2cc8aa47c7422cb8678ceed2ad6a00.gif

Thanks RK. So just going over you're post, are you saying that a no-chilled version of this would only have late additions? There is no 60 mins addtion? Am I on the same page??

What I mean is, are you purely referring to my late additions and assuming I have made the 60 min addition already... Shit, that still doesn't look right... Maybe this

Above grain bill to 1060ish

PG & NS to 50IBU @ 60 mins

3g/L blend of PG/NS at 10, 5, Cube and the same for Dry Hopping

US05

Is that what you meant or are you saying to drop the 60min addition because of the dirty no-chilling. I'm thinking that will/may result in a higher IBU??

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance, but I'd love to be able to pull this off. Never formulated any sort of recipe for AG. Just copied others verbatim

Cheers

Tyler

No still have a 60m addition but work it out after you've worked out what your IBU would be with the late hops. so if you're aiming for 100IBU and you have 60IBU from your late additions get the balance of your IBU from your bittering addition.

What I am saying ultimately is if you wanted to do a 20m addition add it later (say 10m) rather than at 20 mins

Your plan for 60m, 10m, 5m, cube and DH is good.

No-chill isn't dirty...unless you forget to clean the cube.

I can't believe blokes have already brewed for the swap. I'm still not sure what I'll brew. Maltyhops brewed his swap beer at my place last night/this morning. I won't be in a hurry to brew after work again.
Yes, many thanks to Hatchy for letting me use his brewery in a rather marathon
effort to make about 1.6 cubes of:
... 92% Pilsener Malt
... 4% Wheat Malt
... 4% Aromatic Malt
... 1kg dark brown sugar
... 90g EKG @ 60mins
to be fermented with Wyeast 1214 into a Belgian blonde style ale.
This is based on a recipe from an old AHB post I came across though
I've lost track of which it was.

On a related but less fun note, I may be without vehicle by the time
the case swap rolls around - would anyone be able to give me and
maybe 3 milk crates of beer a lift to and from the venue? This is if
the venue is going to be way out of the central metro area - I now
live in the Kent Town area.

T.

With a little help from Phil and RK, I reckon I'm ready to brew my swap beer. It will be my first attempt at anything so "BIG", could be a disaster, sounds delicious though...

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Nev's Autumn 2011 Case Swap South Pacific IPA
Brewer: Tyler Henley
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Boil Size: 32.55 L
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 9.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 58.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.05 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3Grain 60.0 %
2.36 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 35.0 %
0.34 kg Caraamber (Weyermann) (36.0 SRM) Grain 5.0 %
15.00 gm Pacific Gem [16.30%] (60 min) Hops 22.7 IBU
25.00 gm Pacific Gem [16.30%] (10 min) Hops 13.7 IBU
25.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [10.90%] (10 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
25.00 gm Pacific Gem [16.30%] (5 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
25.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [10.90%] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
25.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [10.90%] (0 min) Hops -
25.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [10.90%] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
25.00 gm Pacific Gem [16.30%] (0 min) Hops -
25.00 gm Pacific Gem [16.30%] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 6.75 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Step Add 36.00 L of water at 67.0 C 64.0 C 60 min

Notes:
------
0 Mins hop additions are cube hops.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks fellas. It will be NC'd so expect IBU's to be a fraction higher... Not that I'll be able to tell :ph34r:

Cheers

Tyler

Happy to lend you my plate chiller Nev, be a shame to see that many hops get dulled by no chilling.

That offer stands for any of you filthy no chillers :lol:

Happy to lend you my plate chiller Nev, be a shame to see that many hops get dulled by no chilling.

That offer stands for any of you filthy no chillers :lol:

Great, just what I need... Another excuse to buy more gear. No doubt if I tried chilling, I'd "need" one :lol:

Really, with all those late additions, and dry hopping it wont be too bad will it??

Actually, if you chill are you able to cube still (assuming sanitsation is up to scratch). I really rely on cubing wort.

Nev

You can't (shouldn't, and it would be a pretty bad idea if you did) cube wort that has been chilled as you don't get the benefit from having hot wort in the cube. So you would just need to be ready with your yeast and fermenter to start fermenting.

Or you could just ignore the taunts and be a proud, albeit filthy, no-chiller. :beerbang:

The main thing that I love about no chill is that I can brew without having yeast or fermenting space ready. I'd prefer to chill but I'm nowhere near as organised as I'd like to be.

The main thing that I love about no chill is that I can brew without having yeast or fermenting space ready. I'd prefer to chill but I'm nowhere near as organised as I'd like to be.

I hate to write this but

+1. Yeast isn't usually my problem, its always a case of brewing space and time. Brew like crazy when time permits, ferment when needed! Yes!!

I hear ya lads.

I have 4 full cubes and both fridges full with fermentors atm...!

Still keen to brew though.

Back