2010 Adelaide and Mildura Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am seriously considering using my filter as a randall. Running a beer from the keg thru the filter full of homegrown chinook flowers and then out via a picnic tap. :icon_drool2:

I'm seriously considering helping you to empty that keg.

Am seriously considering using my filter as a randall. Running a beer from the keg thru the filter full of homegrown chinook flowers and then out via a picnic tap. :icon_drool2:

Do it! Shame they wont be fresh wet hops straight off the bine in November though.

That's my plan, also thinking of splitting the line so can have Randall and non Randall beer - sort of a side by side thing.

Love the new thread title!

I'm there. With promises of randalls how could i not be there :beerbang:

I have updated the article with my planned swap beer. I'm assuming that we can swap whatever?

Cheers

I thought this was how it was done as standard?

2004AHA_HashbackMoorminator.jpg

Oh, and might I say.... <DROOOOL!!!> :icon_drool2:

Thoroughly looking forward to this swap. Now I just need to figure out how to brew on my setup with my gimpy leg - I'm off to the surgeon today and might need to conveniently reschedule some surgery if it's gonna mess with the swap.

The plan for me is two brews - one for swapping, one in my port-a-keg which may or may not get an upgrade to include a sturdy bar by that time... It shall be coming along as my medically necessary walking frame though;

portakeg.jpg

yes... there are wheels at the back. Couple of spare crutches handles and I'm set.

Vespa's current sig inspired me to have at think whilst cleaning corny's tonight. If any kit/extract brewers are coming & want to brew AG but don't have the gear we could brew at the case swap & they could take wort home in cubes. I know that personally I read about AG brewing here & in How to Brew & found it a bit confusing. Having been to a couple of brewdays at Phil's place, 1 at Beerbelly, a couple at Brewboys & a brewweekend at Legham's place I'm really looking forward to getting my gear & brewing to the point where I'll need mates to help me empty kegs & bottles so I can brew more. I drink a lot, when I started brewing again I never thought I'd get to a point where I want to brew more than I want to drink. If anyone wants to ferment some AG beer at home but doesn't have gear then feel free to post here or send me a PM. It would give us a great excuse to brew on the day.

I'm in... I have attempted BIAB (2V) but have NEVER seen a 3V proper AG!

I have to say, I'm a little worried that the only decent beer I can make for the swap is going to be an extract/spec grain brew... Possibly an English IPA... My first attempt at AG didn't turn out too flash. It says on one of the first posts by Quantum I reckon that all (knk, extract, biab and AG) are all welcome to swap... It'd be nice to know I'm not going to be the only bloke rolling up with an extract brew... Having said that, some of my extract brews have been unreal... To me :rolleyes: My first swap too (hell, have only been brewing for 13 months) and would not like to hand out shit beers in return for no doubt cracker beers from you well experienced lot!

Thoughts??

Also, as it stands, the 6th of Nov couldn't be a better date! Work likes to spring stuff on me sometimes but if that happens I'll just lie and say I have a wedding to go to or something :ph34r:

Tyler

ive done some great exracts and am expecting some really good and different beers. i have only done a few biab beers so, dont worry i think it will not only be great fun but be a great experience to talk with other brewers.

as for the swap im looking forward to trying any type of beer. plus being honest id drink anything :)

this sounds like a mad day

If in doubt go down AIPA path and add an insane amount of hops.

I'm in... I have attempted BIAB (2V) but have NEVER seen a 3V proper AG!

I have to say, I'm a little worried that the only decent beer I can make for the swap is going to be an extract/spec grain brew... Possibly an English IPA... My first attempt at AG didn't turn out too flash. It says on one of the first posts by Quantum I reckon that all (knk, extract, biab and AG) are all welcome to swap... It'd be nice to know I'm not going to be the only bloke rolling up with an extract brew... Having said that, some of my extract brews have been unreal... To me :rolleyes: My first swap too (hell, have only been brewing for 13 months) and would not like to hand out shit beers in return for no doubt cracker beers from you well experienced lot!

Thoughts??

Also, as it stands, the 6th of Nov couldn't be a better date! Work likes to spring stuff on me sometimes but if that happens I'll just lie and say I have a wedding to go to or something :ph34r:

Tyler
My thoughts- don't really care if you brew Ag, extract or just throw a can of goo in the fermenter, if you do the best you can I for one will be happy to taste your beer and give feedback that could possibly lead you to bigger and better things. Whichever method you use if you get your process right you should present something worthy of the swap.
If you are the only non AG brewer in the swap don't make that a reason not to participate.

As far as seeing how it is done there are a few of us in the north that don't mind having visitors/ drinking buddies on a brew day.
Cheers
Nige

Whichever method you use if you get your process right you should present something worthy of the swap.
If you are the only non AG brewer in the swap don't make that a reason not to participate.
Cheers to that.

I'm a proponent of including non-AG brewers in swaps, despite being an AG brewer myself. As with any of the processes, I can strongly recommend sanitation and ferment temperature as important steps to a great beer, but one of the main points of these swaps is to put something that you're proud of out there and get the same back in return. The helpful bunch here will no doubt give their advice upon tasting, and steer you towards steps that can further improve your beers. Fun will be had along the way, no doubt.

@Nev - if it makes you feel any better, I've had some god-awful AG beers at swaps. Thankfully though, I've had some liquid bliss too.

My thoughts- don't really care if you brew Ag, extract or just throw a can of goo in the fermenter, if you do the best you can I for one will be happy to taste your beer and give feedback that could possibly lead you to bigger and better things. Whichever method you use if you get your process right you should present something worthy of the swap.

As far as seeing how it is done there are a few of us in the north that don't mind having visitors/ drinking buddies on a brew day.
Cheers
Nige

Nice... I'm only round the corner from you mate... Greenwith! Pity I dont drink though :icon_drunk:

@ Boston - AIPA or more suitably an APA is currently the most produced beer in my household (Amarillo! :beerbang: ). Have even got my wife loving the homebrews over swill. Yep, I know I can produce one of them to a reasonable tasty standard! an APA that is... AIPA sounds like it might be an idea... I love a hoppy monster of a beer . Hmmmm (brain ticking over)

Tyler

Cheers to that.

I'm a proponent of including non-AG brewers in swaps, despite being an AG brewer myself. As with any of the processes, I can strongly recommend sanitation and ferment temperature as important steps to a great beer, but one of the main points of these swaps is to put something that you're proud of out there and get the same back in return. The helpful bunch here will no doubt give their advice upon tasting, and steer you towards steps that can further improve your beers. Fun will be had along the way, no doubt.

@Nev - if it makes you feel any better, I've had some god-awful AG beers at swaps. Thankfully though, I've had some liquid bliss too.

Sanitisation = Check

Temperature control = Check (fridge)

Proud of the beer I produce = Sure... :huh: :unsure: :icon_cheers:

Good to hear your thoughts. When I have a few AG's under my belt and processes down etc, then I'll happily hand em out.

Tyler

Latest posts

Back