2009 Nsw Xmas Case Swap - Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are very welcome Andrew, glad you enjoyed it and glad yours turned out well too. I'll have to come around and grab a bottle of yours to try (if that's ok :p).

Thanks, but I can't take that much credit for the recipe, was largely based on a Jamil recipe from BYO with a slight change to the base malts and hops used. I also remember we did increase the bitterness a bit on your advice too, although not quite as high, somewhere in the middle. I agree, was fun and thanks again for inviting me to brew with you.

Cheers
Jason.

Happy for you to come around and grab a bottle, Jason. Let me know.

The recipe doesnt look much like Jamils ;) . Yes, we did take a middle ground with the bitterness but i was quietly unconvinced. :lol:

Cheers
Andrew.

21. Dave - Belgian Summer Triple - 7%ish - WY1214 - RTD

I had Dave's Belgian summer triple earlier tonight, very nice thanks. Love the Belgians.

cheers

nifty

Nifty, I had it too with my Thai green curry, worked quite well together.

Beer: 4. barls - smoked schwartz.
Date: 3rd January 2010
Details: Labelled 750ml twist top yellow Obolon cap, 4.2% bottled 28/11/09
Sampling Notes:

Pours a nice solid looking tan head atop a deep bronzed body.

Roasted malt nose with a good whack of woody smoked meats amongst burnt nuttiness and cocoa.

Medium-to-full body, texture is quite smooth with a slight malt stickiness and mild astringency. Carbonation is reasonably low but quite ideal.

More roasted flavours on the body; wood, toffee sweetness, nuts, dark chocolate, espresso, and, of course, a bacon-like smokiness. Nothing is overly aggressive or out of place, very integrated and balanced. Finishes dry with moderate bitterness.

Interesting sort of beer. The smokiness combines very well with the schwarzbier base and adds another dimension to the flavour as opposed to typical rauch beer, where the smoke often very prominent. Nice work Barls, really enjoyed it!

thanks mate might have to keep a bottle or two for the next comp. does any one know when that is?
i really enjoy the canadian belgian yeast in this. it adds a whole different character to it dont you think?

i really enjoy the canadian belgian yeast in this. it adds a whole different character to it dont you think?
I was slightly reminded of Unibroue Raftman at times. Though that's not as dark, the smokiness seems to combine with the spiciness of the yeast, not to mention the roasted malts. There's alot going on.
I reckon if you up'd the body of it and made an extra strong sort of Smoked Dubbel/Dark Belgian Strong, it would be something quite amazing indeed.

Oh and i've been drinking Troys ale. Went down a treat!

Beer: 11. Troy Dack - An ale.
Date: 4th January 2010
Details: Labelled 750ml twist top red cap
Sampling Notes:

Served chilled in mug,

Good psst on opening. Pours a slightly hazy copper body, small head hangs around for a bit.

Not a great deal to the nose. Sweet malts, a bit of doughy yeast and spice and slight hop leafiness.

Medium-to-low carbonation, smooth, kinda oily texture, decent body.

Malty body, bit of biscuit and cereal. Hop flavours emerge, woody, leafy notes. Finishes with a bit of yeasty spice, mild fruits and dryness, medium bitterness.

I think the description as being a non-specific ale hits the spot with this one. Doesnt really fit a specific category, but does the job well enough. Cheers Troy!

I was slightly reminded of Unibroue Raftman at times. Though that's not as dark, the smokiness seems to combine with the spiciness of the yeast, not to mention the roasted malts. There's alot going on.
I reckon if you up'd the body of it and made an extra strong sort of Smoked Dubbel/Dark Belgian Strong, it would be something quite amazing indeed.
thats the level of smoke i was going for. i reckon i could almost drop the roast malt and it would be a perfect clone.
now theres something to play with in the new year, i can see my wife freaking out and telling me to stop listening to you all with my hybrid beers.

thats the level of smoke i was going for. i reckon i could almost drop the roast malt and it would be a perfect clone.
now theres something to play with in the new year, i can see my wife freaking out and telling me to stop listening to you all with my hybrid beers.
Hybrid beers are the awesome.
The next beer I've planned is going to be a weizen/Belgian using one part each of malted barley, wheat, rye and oats...couldn't care less about styles for the moment!

who am i kidding im going to do a cumquat amber for fatz next time.

is it anything like the blueberry mead ive got? or more like the father in laws apple wine. i really thought fatz would have chirped up by now. oh well ill save him a bottle for the swap at his place.
i might even remake the dark braggot for then.

is it anything like the blueberry mead ive got? or more like the father in laws apple wine. i really thought fatz would have chirped up by now. oh well ill save him a bottle for the swap at his place.
i might even remake the dark braggot for then.

:lol:

New Years Resolution No. 125 - try to be more tolerant of .........[insert appropriate thing that I need to be more tolerant of]

Bring 'em on !

wow up to resolution 125. i only have one and thats not to make any resolutions

Was round a mate's place last night and had the following.

15. Syd_03- IRA(Irish Red Ale)- 5.8%-bottled 30/11/09-wyeast 1084. A few days either side of xmas won't hurt. Cracked keg on 16/12 (my first beer in a keg) to see how it was going. Keg is now gone.

Very tasty red ale. Floral hops and a beautiful colour.

5. Pollux - Hopburst IPA, 5.74%, US-05. Only bottled last week, I'd save it for about mid Jan.JUST SAMPLED IT MYSELF (1/1/2010), I'd suggest leaving it till at least early Feb, it's got a few rough edges that need some more time to settle down......

Very nice hoppy ale.

13. Vitalstatistix - Loose Nut Brown Porter - ~5.2% ABV - Brewed 06/11/09 - give it as long as you can (at least 2 months)

This was the fourth and I was getting a little hazy by now. But I remember liking it.

16. Not sure. It was a black beer.

Drank it too cold, but it seemed alright.

5. Pollux - Hopburst IPA, 5.74%, US-05. Only bottled last week, I'd save it for about mid Jan.JUST SAMPLED IT MYSELF (1/1/2010), I'd suggest leaving it till at least early Feb, it's got a few rough edges that need some more time to settle down......

Very nice hoppy ale.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, as I said, it could prob do with a touch more time in the bottle, but meh, that happens.

I'm getting a bit slack...

Beer: Gruntus - Blondie - 18A (Belgian Strong Ale - Belgian Blond Ale) (1st)(311)
Date: 23rd December 2009
Details: 750ml twist top gold cap 9 7.6% - Brewed 12/9/2009 Bottled 27/9/2009
Sampling Notes:

Served chilled in pint mug

Deep golden body with decent clarity. Small thick white head persists.

Reasonably sweet aroma of malt; some honey in there and a distinct graininess about, which I cant quite put my finger on. Spicy phenolics in the background, apricot-like fruitiness and floral notes.

Carbonation is decent, quite thick bodied and oily textured. Alcohol well masked.

Flavours open up a bit more on the body, especially ripe apricot and stonefruit-like esters and flowery notes (hops?). Spicy towards the finish, honeyish malts combine with a restrained bitterness on the finish. Hint of alcohol lingers.

Enjoyable Belgian blonde. Pretty much on the money, and becomes more enjoyable with warmth . Nice job Gruntus, happen to want to share the recipe? :)
Thanks for the review.....glad you enjoyed it.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 54.00 L
Boil Size: 61.81 L
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 11.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 26.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 44.44 %
6.10 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 38.73 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 6.35 %
0.30 kg Aromatic Malt (51.2 EBC) Grain 1.90 %
0.30 kg Biscuit Malt (45.3 EBC) Grain 1.90 %
0.30 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 1.90 %
54.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.80 %] (60 min) Hops 20.4 IBU
75.00 gm Styrian Goldings [4.10 %] (15 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
0.75 kg Candi Sugar, Clear (1.0 EBC) Sugar 4.76 %

15. Syd_03- IRA(Irish Red Ale)- 5.8%-bottled 30/11/09-wyeast 1084. A few days either side of xmas won't hurt. Cracked keg on 16/12 (my first beer in a keg) to see how it was going. Keg is now gone.

Very tasty red ale. Floral hops and a beautiful colour.

Cheers Josh glad you and your mate enjoyed it.

Jason

Back