2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 4200 liter water tank for the purpose of hop garden and I am working on some diverters from downpipes at either end of garden .

Buster

Keep in mind it will need a lot of water and be proned to drying out if on the wall in the sun.
Very true Raven, and i have learn't that already from another plant that is in the garden bed but in front of the wall. The lack of water has dried it out and some of the leaves are burnt, so I will make sure that it gets water probably twice a day.

Well here's a pic of my Tettnang. They've enjoyed the nice weather here in Sydney recently and decided they just don't want to stay down.
The other plants are not doing alot yet but this little bugger is flying. I have to move froward my new trellis plans now...

2009_Hops.jpg

EDIT: There is about two inches of that hay/mulch below you can't see as well.

My chinook is showing signs of life, despite Rukh Jr taking off layers of soil (when trying to help of course)...

hop.jpg

With the recent hot spell up here in SE Qld (over 30 for the last week or so), my hops have taken off something fierce! Growing like weeds ATM! All are first year hops in 40cm diameter pots.

View attachment 30254
Tettnang Pot 1

View attachment 30256
Tettnang Pot 2

View attachment 30257
POR

View attachment 30258
Chinook

View attachment 30259
The whole setup with lines run to the top of the fence. Have 10m of line attached to each pot - when they reach the top of the fence, the idea is to lower the bines to the ground and let the bines grow to the top again. Either that, or move the pots closer to the house and let them grow diagonally. The yard gets sun from about 6am - 5-5:30pm.

View attachment 30261
The butterfly I saw in the yard near the hops (hand for scale)

Cheers!

Never seen them for sale. But they grow them down in Tassie. More likely to be closer to NZ Saaz than the true Czech Saaz. They also have a variety down there called 'Summer Saaz' that the breweries pounced on last year - supposed to be very tasty. Never seen Amarillo for sale in rhizomes either - don't think it's grown in Oz yet due to quarantine. Now if only someone could lay their hands on some Galaxy :icon_drool2: that would be something!

Hopper.

Bought a Saaz rhizome off ebay a few months ago. Not cheap, but really wanted Saaz. :icon_cheers: Lochrockinbeers was the seller, I think he's an AHB member too.

The Saaz hasn't taken off just yet - I have one little bud popping out, but my Hallertau (bought elsewhere on ebay) is loving life.

(August 17)
Hallertau%20Mitelfruh%2017082009.JPG

[EDIT - fixed photo link]

(August 29)
Hallertau%20Mitelfruh%2029082009.JPG

WB

Have some chinook rhizomes I planted in a large pot last week. They had a bit of root growth on them and they were also sprouting nicely. I planted two inches below the soil and then mulched. How much water should I be giving them? Am super paranoid as my last plant rotted in the winter and I never saw growth. It is in full sun from about 8-5.

I have had a couple rot over winter . That is half the reason I take lots of cuttings during the early growth period. When they are growing I give them a drink mostly twice a day . but none during winter .

Buster

Just like clockwork. 1st day of spring yesterday and my cascade has poked its head out. 2nd yr for this plant, so hopefully some cones this year. Chinook - maybe she doesnt know its spring yet? She'll be right, gave me a bumper crop last year.

Took two chinook rhizomes out of the fridge a couple of weeks ago and put them in potting mix. One has roots shooting so I will put them into big pots this weekend.
Chinook in the garden from last year hasnt shown yet

My Hallertauer has green growth around 20 mm high. Tettnang has a couple of purple shoots just out of the ground and I'm still waiting on Mt Hood to surface.

All the same, I wouldn't mind if they stayed in bed a while longer. If they shoot to early a late frost will pull them up pretty quick.

Found my Rhizome trying to grow its way out of the Fridge...
So its been spliced 4 ways and been tossed into some potting mix...
se how she goes... :unsure:

Sqyre... :icon_cheers:

Just started a thread here, but looks like this is the place to be!

Good to see heaps of potted hops everywhere, I dont feel so innapropriate anymore... :lol: .

roddersf: Bought the same deal as you with similar hops, looking forward to growing a few different varieties this year. Hopefully they'll arrive before Friday so I can plant them on the weekend. I'm lucky enough to have a good size block so I have a number of garden beds dedicated to hops :)

My rhizomes from last year haven't poked their head above the mulch yet (plenty of shoots ready to go though) however the new Tettnang rhizome is already through the mulch. I'll have 6 different varieties going this year, looking forward to more fresh hops over the next few years!!

My Chinook and Columbus are still idle, but the large-rhizome Hallertau has gone from shoots to about 60cm in the space of a week! Must be the chook-poo! No wonder these things grow >10 metres at that growth rate.

Had a close look at my chinook from last year and it is shooting. Must put some mulch over it as frosts are likely here for the next two months

Bought a Saaz rhizome off ebay a few months ago. Not cheap, but really wanted Saaz.

Heaps of chatter on here about the parentage of this new Saaz that's popped up on ebay this year. (New Zealand, Tassie, Czech - no one seems to know)

Might need to quiz lochrockinbeers here on this one now that he's got some and is selling them.

Be interested in what kind of flavours you get from the flowers. Think Czech Saaz has a bit of spiciness to them compared to stuff more locally grown (more grassy). But wouldn't know as haven't done a side by side comparison. Have noted that there are two Tassie Saaz varieties now appearing around the traps, The "Southern Saaz" (which has spice) and "Summer Saaz" (no spice, and subtle fruit characteristic).

Have heard from a hop supplier that the Summer Saaz (Tas) is being ripped out of the ground by some commercial growers due to poor yields and its temperamental nature. We might not see much of this hop around much in pelletised form soon methinks. Be interested to see how yours grows WB. If it does well and produces some spiciness it could be Southern Saaz.

Hopper.

Potted my POR, Tett and Hallertau this morning. They had all made a good head start in the fridge, with 2-4cm sprouts and roots forming nicely. Its a nice cloudy/rainy day today, perfect for them to aclimatise to the big world.

cheers

Grant

Heaps of chatter on here about the parentage of this new Saaz that's popped up on ebay this year. (New Zealand, Tassie, Czech - no one seems to know)

Might need to quiz lochrockinbeers here on this one now that he's got some and is selling them.

Hopper.

The saaz I have is of Czech parentage as stated. I doubt you'll be able to get any of the NZ saaz variants or the new Aussie saaz varieties because of breeder rights, patents, grower agreements etc. Maybe in 10 or 20 years. I'd be curious to hear how people go with saaz. I've found it to be much more vigorous than I expected but nothing like chinook. I expect yields will be low for most places as with Hallertau.

The saaz I have is of Czech parentage as stated. I doubt you'll be able to get any of the NZ saaz variants or the new Aussie saaz varieties because of breeder rights, patents, grower agreements etc. Maybe in 10 or 20 years. I'd be curious to hear how people go with saaz. I've found it to be much more vigorous than I expected but nothing like chinook. I expect yields will be low for most places as with Hallertau.

Sweet Loch. Good to know.

Now if someone could climb a fence and get a cutting of galaxy for me.... :icon_drool2: That would be something! Sounds like that won't enter backyard distribution for a good while yet either - but we can all live in hope. (sigh)

Hopper.

Back