2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screwtop

Inspectors Pocket Brewery
Reaction score
Early I know but hey! Looking for hop suppliers and came across this, for those brewers who are smokers and hop growers, it seems you can grow your own tobacco legally and as easily as hops or tomatoes for that matter, no risk buying black market chop chop if you grow your own.

Grow your own Tobacco - Seeds

TOMACCO!!!
tomacco.jpg

You might want to double check that. My understanding is you need a license in Aus.

A search on the ATO website reveals pages and pages of "busts" where unlicensed growers have been caught.

edit: ATO FAQ:

http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.a...nt/00184278.htm

Can I grow tobacco plants for my own use?

No. You must hold an excise licence to grow tobacco.

One of the strict requirements for obtaining an excise license to grow tobacco is to have a market for your product. Personal use is not considered to be a market. There are no special excise provisions for personal use in relation to tobacco production.

For more information about how we assess licence applications, you should read applying for a licence.

You might want to double check that. My understanding is you need a license in Aus.

A search on the ATO website reveals pages and pages of "busts" where unlicensed growers have been caught.

Stink? Its legal in NZ, just like distilling B)

Geez - No wonder our dollars weaker than yours :lol:

:icon_offtopic: Are we way off topic here already? ;)

Back OT: My Hops are slowly shrivelling away, after some good first year growth - not one single flower though.

Fingers crossed for next year, by then they shall be in the ground, not in pots, so hopefully will fair better...

Back OT: My Hops are slowly shrivelling away, after some good first year growth - not one single flower though.

I got 6 hops off 1 of my chinooks which should have been around 50 (damn melbourne heatwave killed everything.)

The 6 i got were mushed up in my palm... snorted, then dumped into a pot of APA to steep. nice and floral/spicy/grapefruity!

Once they die off for the winter, im upgrading the pot size in preperation for a big crop next season.

I got 6 hops off 1 of my chinooks which should have been around 50 (damn melbourne heatwave killed everything.)

The 6 i got were mushed up in my palm... snorted, then dumped into a pot of APA to steep. nice and floral/spicy/grapefruity!

Once they die off for the winter, im upgrading the pot size in preperation for a big crop next season.

Sensational mate, great to hear you got a few at least. The heat did hurt them a lot I think.

Slightly :icon_offtopic: I am hoping to hear from the bank soon for our loan approval then we get a townhouse, and there is room for a brew shed & hop plantation. Giddyup!

Slightly :icon_offtopic: I am hoping to hear from the bank soon for our loan approval then we get a townhouse, and there is room for a brew shed & hop plantation. Giddyup!

I live in a townhouse, its hard work brewing out in the open air, coming from using the parents garage when i used to live at home. I do however live within downwind reach of CUB... the smell mash/boil makes me want to brew every day i can smell it. If i go for a walk arond the yarra, its there every day. :icon_drool2:

Best way to cure that problem Raven is plant them in my garden :rolleyes:

As long as you are happy to courier the best 90% of flowers produced back to me.... I think we could then come to an arrangement! ;) :lol:

In a few month, rhizomes/cuttings should start popping up on AHB.

Best way to cure that problem Raven is plant them in my garden :rolleyes:

Here's a noobie question: is it totally out of the question even thinking about growing hops in Brisbane? If so, how about out Stanthorpe way where it's cooler?

In light of the thread topic, A Re-post from 2008 plantation thread.

100_3356.JPG
Heres my hops. ~1.7kg dry

Very happy for a first year harvest.

Here's a noobie question: is it totally out of the question even thinking about growing hops in Brisbane? If so, how about out Stanthorpe way where it's cooler?

Not at all. I had a pretty good result from my first year Cascade and am looking forward to much better this year

Bob (From Birkdale)

In light of the thread topic, A Re-post from 2008 plantation thread.

attachment=26297:100_3356.JPG
Heres my hops. ~1.7kg dry

Very happy for a first year harvest.

That is a first year harvest? *stab*

i got about 16g wet off my first year cascade (that's like $1.60 worth! :rolleyes:)

i got about 16g wet off my first year cascade (that's like $1.60 worth! :rolleyes: )

Try around 4 shriveled Chinook flowers which should have been around 50-60 if it wasn't for the crappy uber-hot Melbourne weather! <_<

It basically killed both of my plants and by the time they grew back it was all too late.

I have a couple of shade sails and one is going up over my hops next summer. It sure helps the tomatoes and other vegies

i got about 16g wet off my first year cascade (that's like $1.60 worth! :rolleyes: )

I still only got
Tettnanger - 42g
Hallurtau - 22g

dry they were smaller rhizomes and planted quite late in the season.

My Goldings was a massive rhizome so not too suprising for the first year
Goldings - 524g

These where also a fair size rhizome
Cascade - 252g
Perle - 573g
Hersbrucker - 374g

A phrase i've read in relation to hop growing is "its the length of the sun more than the quality of the sun" which help down here sun up ~4am sun down ~9:15 in summer. and crap loads of seasol and sulfate of potash.

at any rate I'm stoked at this point. nearly a years worth of hops.

Back to finishing the lab for the titration of the hops. I had a few trial runs at estimating the a-acids and need a different (EDIT) resolution of conductometer. Nearly there, in between shutdowns at work :angry:

Because in Finland we have a spring time...
I just received my eight new rhizomes

Chinook,
Golding,
Horizon,
Tetnanger,
Fuggle,
Cascade,
Hallertauer and
Nugget.

I add pictures to my gallery.

Last year I grow first year Willamette, Centennial and Cascade but cascade died soon after it sprouting (don't know the right term).
Willamette and Centennial got good grow but not produce any cones.

I have also unknow hop plants (two same) and two diffent domestic hop plants.

This year I wait even few cones :huh:

Back