2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrote this in another thread but it's been lost in the sea of AHB. I'm interested in growing my own hops so if anyone wants to part with seeds or rhizomes, let me know. I'll pay for postage and whatever other price you think is fair.

I'm in Melbourne.

Cheers.

Wrote this in another thread but it's been lost in the sea of AHB. I'm interested in growing my own hops so if anyone wants to part with seeds or rhizomes, let me know. I'll pay for postage and whatever other price you think is fair.

I'm in Melbourne.

Cheers.

Also as stated many times, you don't want hop seeds you want hop rhozomes. This way you know what you are getting and that it is female. Hold off for a few months and there will be hops a plenty on ebay and ahb. buy large healthy rhozomes early and you should expect a half decent gowth being south enough in melb.

just ahd a bit of a look at my hop plants , seems they are started to send out those little pink shoots again like they did at the start of spring is this normal or are they somewhat confused ?

Also as stated many times, you don't want hop seeds you want hop rhozomes. This way you know what you are getting and that it is female. Hold off for a few months and there will be hops a plenty on ebay and ahb. buy large healthy rhozomes early and you should expect a half decent gowth being south enough in melb.

Cool, thanks.

I have decided to digup, bag and chuck my hop plant in the fridge untill october...
The weather of late has been all over the place from 5 one day to 27 the next which appears to be confusing the hell out of my plant.
Its leaves half died off but then it started shooting new shoots and i dont want it using up all its energy before dieing off again.

Question - Is it better to split the plant before it hybernates or afterwards, just before you plant?

I got my Rhizome online 2 years ago and it was only 2 inches long, i have nearly killed it twice...
This is it now....
DSCF9726.JPGDSCF9727.JPG

Sqyre...

My Goldings was a massive rhizome so not too suprising for the first year
Goldings - 524g

These where also a fair size rhizome
Cascade - 252g
Perle - 573g
Hersbrucker - 374g

This is pure inspiration! I'm hoping to pick up some perle + goldings for the next season. How are you analysing the AAcids? are there commercial series practice on a home-brewing scale?

Is it possible to get a Saaz rhizome in Oz?

Never seen them for sale. But they grow them down in Tassie. More likely to be closer to NZ Saaz than the true Czech Saaz. They also have a variety down there called 'Summer Saaz' that the breweries pounced on last year - supposed to be very tasty. Never seen Amarillo for sale in rhizomes either - don't think it's grown in Oz yet due to quarantine. Now if only someone could lay their hands on some Galaxy :icon_drool2: that would be something!

Hopper.

I have decided to digup, bag and chuck my hop plant in the fridge untill october...
The weather of late has been all over the place from 5 one day to 27 the next which appears to be confusing the hell out of my plant.
Its leaves half died off but then it started shooting new shoots and i dont want it using up all its energy before dieing off again.

Question - Is it better to split the plant before it hybernates or afterwards, just before you plant?

I got my Rhizome online 2 years ago and it was only 2 inches long, i have nearly killed it twice...
This is it now....
Sqyre...
I would leave the hop plant all as one, will stop any chance of it drying it out. The chilling factor 'vernalisation' will do it good.
Leave some mulch/news paper/ compost or similar to keep it moist (but not wet). If you are storing in a newish fridge that has a defrost cycle, make sure it does not dry out. Do not store it in a container with a snap lock lid or it will rot, it still needs air.

My plant has died down so is digging it up and storing it in the fridge the normal way to do things , or can I just leave it in the ground???????????

My plant has died down so is digging it up and storing it in the fridge the normal way to do things , or can I just leave it in the ground???????????

Your in VIC, so leave it in the ground. Hops need cold winters to set the crop for the next season. Only dig to be generous and give to other brewers, this can wait until they start to burst in August / September. Cutting and dividing rhizomes now on young plants may lead to rot if placed back into cold soil. I personally would wait until they have been in the ground for two seasons before digging up.

Ok, thanks for that. My plant didnt do much this year so I will leave it in the ground.
I have layered the main bine so hopefully some of it has rooted.

I would leave the hop plant all as one, will stop any chance of it drying it out. The chilling factor 'vernalisation' will do it good.
Leave some mulch/news paper/ compost or similar to keep it moist (but not wet). If you are storing in a newish fridge that has a defrost cycle, make sure it does not dry out. Do not store it in a container with a snap lock lid or it will rot, it still needs air.

Thanks Boston..
Growing hops here is a pain in the ass,
We tend to have a short winter then 2-3 weeks of warm to hot days where the plants start shooting then we get Frosts again which kills them off again. (well the smaller plants do anyway.)
It not really "safe" to plant around here untill around the start of october.

Cheers Sqyre. :icon_cheers:

I bought a buttload of rhizomes in March and they arrived in the mail when it was still -20C. I ordered 1 each of fuggle, hallertauer, golding, mt hood, willamette, cascade, centennial (for some reason they sent 2 of these) and sterling. I planted them April 5. There was still snow on the ground but the days were getting warm (5-10C highs), so into the ground they went. Since then we've had the strangest roller coaster spring I've ever seen. Highs of +22C one day, -20C the next. We had snow 3 days this week after Monday's nice +20C weather. It's finally getting warmer again. And some of the hops are finally sprouting. I feel like a proud father.

fuggle.jpg

This is the fuggle. I think it finally broke ground sometime yesterday....

centennial.jpg

....Same with one of the the centennials.

hallertauer.jpg

The hallertauer is doing the best right now. It popped up about 2 weeks ago but I really wasn't sure it was a hop at first because it was growing so slow. Its growth was no doubt stunted by the strange weather.

Another 6 to go (I hope!). Lotsa fresh hops this fall! :super:

I notice some guy selling rizomes on ebay and the bidding is up to $40 per plant.

Unbelieveable !

I'd like to plant some to just to dig it up and sell if for a profit.

So who is selling what this year and when does it all start?

Trading in hop rizomes looks like a profitable business!!
Not to mention the hops you get as by product ....

BOG

P.S PM me if your plannng to sell any. The inlaws just purchased 1000 acres and SWMBO has already said yes...

Can you grow hops in a pot? If so which variety is best?

Chris Colby, editor of BYO magazine grows his all of his hops in containers. He has some interesting information about the process on his blog at www.byo.com.

cheers

grant

This is a bit of a random question guys and I know I have ages yet to plant but I just got my rhizomes and am in the swing of things.
Will hops mark where they climb after they die off? (eg lattice) I know they are "bines" not vines and am just wondering if my privacy screen is going to end up looking like it had ivy growing all over it when the hops die off and are cut back...

They dont send out little rootlets like ivy, just wind themselves around, so it is possible to pull all the plant matter from the previous year off if you can be bothered.

Back