• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

WTB Hops Rhizomes:: Pride of Ringwood, Cascade, and/or Saaz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LewiBrews

Reaction score
Hey guys n' gals, Harry here. I brew in Brisbane as a bit of a hobby and, although I'm relatively new to brewing as a whole, I'd really like to start growing my own hops. After experimenting with a few different varieties, I've managed to narrow my favourites down to 3: Pride of Ringwood, Cascade, and Saaz. If anyone has rhizomes of those varieties (or perhaps others) I'd be more than willing to buy a couple!
If anyone is interested in following my journey as I explore the world of brewing you can follow an Instagram account I've created (@lewibrews).
Thank you all very much !

G'day mate, and welcome to the forum.

Plenty of things to be learnt and many ways to skin a cat, odds are if you have a question somebody else has had that question previously anyway.

It's a little early in the year for hop rhizomes right now, but leading into winter after everybody has picked their hops, it shouldn't be too difficult. POR and cascade are quiet common but I'm not sure if there is any saaz grown here. Keep an eye out on the buy and sell page as this is where they pop up.

Tahoose said:
G'day mate, and welcome to the forum.

Plenty of things to be learnt and many ways to skin a cat, odds are if you have a question somebody else has had that question previously anyway.

It's a little early in the year for hop rhizomes right now, but leading into winter after everybody has picked their hops, it shouldn't be too difficult. POR and cascade are quiet common but I'm not sure if there is any saaz grown here. Keep an eye out on the buy and sell page as this is where they pop up.
I'm growing Saaz, so it is available, but like Tahoose said, it's a bit early, everyone is in the thick of the growing/harvest season, so keep an ear to the ground in a few months..

if you want some POR, ask me come April May..

My mother F. POR seems to be a monster...

No charge but the postage needed to get it to you

I bought a cascade plant from diggers club a few weeks ago, she's going ok but i dont think ill be getting enough for a beer.

Best variety i've seen growing in qld is POR. Apparently it is the least affected by photoperiod of all the varietes that hopco grow (or maybe it was hop products australia?)

Rob.P said:
I'm growing Saaz, so it is available, but like Tahoose said, it's a bit early, everyone is in the thick of the growing/harvest season, so keep an ear to the ground in a few months..
What variety rob? Fancy selling me a rizhome later on?

I have heard you can grow from cuttings, you could give that a crack if you want to get going now. Just need a cutting I suppose.

Aussie Cluster is touted as doing well in Queensland.

Yob said:

yobs POR is definitely a monster and good quality zomes to vouch

Tahoose said:
What variety rob? Fancy selling me a rizhome later on?
To be honest I have NFI, I bought it off a guy on ebay last season as it was one of the few remaining zomes available. I just had a look at the listing and obviously it doesn't state what it is other than Saaz..

I'll send him a message and try my luck at finding out.

However I am happy to share the love, but I'm not the sort of guy that would want coin for it.. Just happy to share..

Rob.P said:
Would it be too much of a hassle if I asked for a rhizome once you've done your harvest? I'd pay for shipping and all that ofc and if you wanted anything in return I'd be happy to sling anything else in!

Yob said:

I'd be more than keen to give it a try! I reckon I'll chuck you a PM around then if the offer still stands :)

I thought I should just mention this facebook group. It's a group for sharing hop rhizomes.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/422264914591768/
The idea is that everybody tries to grow a different variety and at the end of the harvesting season we swap rhizomes with others in our area/country. At the moment I'm the only Aussie so we need some more Aussies on board.

Here is a YouTube video explaining the Co Hop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_2Z-LSg-AE&spfreload=10

Here’s a couple updates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kCAnq6NLW4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voHWvO_MMfg

Maybe you should start an Aussie Co-Hop. Well...maybe one for each region of Australia where postage is permitted. (So is that WA / SA / The rest).

That sounds like a pretty decent idea to me Drew. Another question really quick, what hops grows best in BNE apart from POR (I'm thinking of having a couple going at the same time as I have the space)?

hey mate, sorry to jump in so late, but just wanted to let you know that you can buy Cascade hops plants from bunnings.
They're tiny/young and they're labelled 'beer herb' and you'll find em with the rest of the herbs and veggie seedlings

Back