2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dug up my Chinook Rhizomes yesterday to move them to my new garden. Don't think I will be keeping them in the fridge cause they take up to much room!

Chinook 1 year old grown in a large pot 2008/2009 season
med_gallery_1451_487_81298.jpg

Chinook 1 year old grown in ground from single leaf cutting 2008/2009 season
med_gallery_1451_487_4717.jpg

just ahd a bit of a look at my hop plants , seems they are started to send out those little pink shoots again like they did at the start of spring is this normal or are they somewhat confused ?

Barra, still shooting out?
I just checked mine and the two I got from FJ which I threw straight into the pots instead of in the fridge and covered with some mulch have a 2" shoot with some small familiar leaves sticking out already. :blink:

I accidentally broke one of them off as I wasn't expecting it to be there, but the other is still sitting there covered in mulch still...

yep theyre all starting to send out shoots now i just keep covering them over with dirt to protact them from the cold, even noticed one i have sitting wrapped in newspaper in a room is sending out shoots like crazy too , gotta get some more pots and start planting them into the dirt.. hopefully year two delivers me some flowers

Checked on my potted Rhizomes from last year, and lo and behold, fresh shoots! woohoo!

A few warmer days of late here in Adelaide has awoken my hops.

I transferred 3 types into the ground, the rest got repotted to grow more root systems this year.

No flowers last year, but based on the rhizome growth fingers crossed I'll have some flowers this season.

Chinook, POR & Cluster here...

DSCN3440.JPG

DSCN3442.JPG

DSCN3445.JPG

i have three or four now that are sending out shoots lookin for sunlight and warmth

my first year growing hops. cascade in half wine barrell. i planted it about 4 weeks ago and noticed last weekend that i had a shoot. paranoid it was too early i put sum more potting mix mounded up over it. is it not too early to satart seeing it grow, or should i be happy its started already?

Lobo

ive been recovering the shoots with mulch for a little protection from the cold , but they seem happy enough ..

My first year columbus has 5 shoots coming through, the first appeared a few weeks ago.

Must be shooting season, same here!

Checked my hops today by pure coincidence (planted last year) and 3 out of four (Hersbrucker, Goldings & Columbus) have little purple shoots. The Goldings has the most activity with about four little ones popping up. The Hallertau is the only one without any surface activity - seems a little sleepy but will probably wake up soon.

Have a bunch of new zomes that I need to get into the ground, but think I'll fridge them for a bit longer yet. Gotta get some pots and it's a little chilly still at night around here still with the frosts.

Hopper.

wait a little manticle , till the cold is over , dont wanna plant them then have a frost destroy them all ...

wait a little manticle , till the cold is over , dont wanna plant them then have a frost destroy them all ...

Id be sticking them in the ground now and cover with lots of mulch. This will protect them from the frosts.
Cheers
Steve

Id be sticking them in the ground now and cover with lots of mulch. This will protect them from the frosts.
Cheers
Steve

me too. Put em in soon. Mine (All 2-6 years old) have all shot underground and are well mulched with composted sheep poo to protect from frrrrost.

Two of my five varieties are starting to show signs of shooting. My root stock looks nice and healthy so have fingers crossed for a coneful season :p

Doc

I noticed a couple of my tettnang shoots had broken the surface the other day.

A pic of my new hop garden along east side of house
P8143017.JPG
The hallatau shoot.
Hall160809.JPG
The mighty Cluster shoots. Lots of shoots from this baby.
Cluster160809.JPG

All these are in the ground for the first time this year .So will be interested in how they go out of pots .

Cascade with only one tiny shoot at the moment ( not worthy of a pic ), hopeful of more to come.

Buster

Same here, my Cascade has started to shoot, I moved mine from the ground to a pot, so that i can put the pot on a wall, that way it will get the warmth from the wall and the sun.

Same here, my Cascade has started to shoot, I moved mine from the ground to a pot, so that i can put the pot on a wall, that way it will get the warmth from the wall and the sun.

Keep in mind it will need a lot of water and be proned to drying out if on the wall in the sun.

I've got first year Chinook and a Hallertauer in pots. The Hal has 4 shoots about 15cm. When i first noticed them last week i was paranoid about the frost as we've had a bit in adelaide, but also too paranoid about cutting the shoots off like i'd read. Now i just move the Hal into the shed if it looks like it'll be frosty overnight.

I'm hoping this is the right thing to do.

Back