2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez, great help you are :rolleyes:

At least I know I'm not the only one though! May get out into the garden and dig them in I think......

Cheers

If they've started then why not get them into their final spot. Thankfully there's no signs of growth on any of my plants as I've not got a place to plant them yet.

Well as the downpour has now stopped, I may as well do that. Was planning on putting in a proper garden bed, but will just dig some holes for the moment, and get onto that later :)

Cheers

Yes -

My Cascade has started sprouting two weeks ago - even though the frosts havent stopped yet! I have them in glass, but i have to keep raising the top so the sprouts dont touch and get burnt.

The Hallertaur has still realised its too cold to get out of bed just yet, and has sensibly stayed asleep..

Will plant out once the frosts stop..

No frosts here on the hill at all, so may just bite the bullet and pick a spot to plant them, and deal with the wrath of SWMBO later ;)

hey hey

Was just curious on how the hops grow near gum trees. Got a gum tree on council land right behind the fence where I plan on planting them. Will the be fine or will they struggle?

dicko

hey hey

Was just curious on how the hops grow near gum trees. Got a gum tree on council land right behind the fence where I plan on planting them. Will the be fine or will they struggle?

dicko

I'm sure the gum tree will be just fine. :)

Cheers,
BB

Yeah same here (in Sydney).

4 shoots from the Tettnang, 5 from the Goldings, POR has a full little bush going on and about 200mm tall, cascades residual leaves/twigs etc from last season are looking like they are about to move, 5 more waiting for some action.

Some pics:

(apologies for the crap phone pics)

cascade_sm.jpg

goldings_sm.jpg

pride_of_ringwood_sm.jpg

tettnang_sm.jpg

yeah my POR is starting to grow will have to plant soon they grow so fast

so i just looked at my chinook bines i had in veg crisper and they have mold growing all over them? should i just chuck them? had them in a moist paper towel in a plastic bag thought this was how they were meant to be stored?

If it's just surface mold wash/rub it off carefully, and if it's not associated with any corresponding rotting/soggy rhizome you should be fine.
I've had some stored in the fridge for a few months now without any problem, but most of those are stored in damp peat-moss, wood shavings, coir or potting mix. It seems to me (and I don't know the reason) that storing them in that kind of media tends to reduce the mold and helps them to last longer in the fridge.

so i just looked at my chinook bines i had in veg crisper and they have mold growing all over them? should i just chuck them? had them in a moist paper towel in a plastic bag thought this was how they were meant to be stored?

Get them in the ground as soon as you get them, mate. It will give them some extra time to start allowing some of the fine hair roots to develop. Also, if they are exposed to any rain while in the ground (as long as the soil does not become waterlogged), the oxygen rich water promotes growth :icon_cheers:
Cheers, John.

Never had any luck storing Rhizomes in the crisper all have failed (just me I guess).

I now just put new rhizomes in pots (even over winter) and haven't had any issues this way, so I'd be doing that if it were me, then if all goes well when they start shooting and looking strong plant them in the ground.

At least in a pot you can feel how damp it is.

Hope it goes well,
BB

The ones in my pics were all planted late June (except for the Cascade - the one that looks like a second year plant, thanks matho!) and all pretty much popped their heads up around the same time about 2 weeks ago.

The remaining rhizomes were refrigerated for about 6 weeks and planted 2 weeks ago with no action yet.

Glad it's going well regulator. Looks like your getting a good collection going :)

Thanks mate...

I literally have no experience growing ANYTHING, but three years in it finally appears I have at least a few living hop plants. I will be stoked if the other 4 (mt hood, vienna gold, chinook and hallertau) spring to life in the next month or two.

Instead of drowning them in water and seasol I've pretty much just buried them and forgot about them. It's pretty clear to me now the rhizomes were just rotting with all the moisture the last 2 years.

As for soil, I used maybe 2/3rds composted cow manure in the bottom and up the sides of the pot, then the remainder was reasonable grade potting mix with the rhizomes planted about 2 in under that. They seem to like it so far... :D

Unfortunately I'm probably moving soon (hence the pots) so I hope I will have a good sunny spot for them after the move.

:beer:

EDIT: Shouldn't we be starting the "2010 Hop Plantations" thread??

Regulator- I don't have heaps of experience with hops, but i have a lot experience with growing other plants. 2/3 of a pot full of cow manure is probably too much for most things to handle, and well in excess of what a plant needs for nutrients. Half to a full a pat chopped up and distrubuted evenly with some good quality potting mix in a 20L pot would be plenty.

edited to add~ I don't know if a 20L pot would be big enough, just said that for rate with manure.

Hi ekul...

Not sure if it makes a difference but it wasn't pure cow manure - it was composted cow manure, looked to be a sort of half potting mix/half cow manure type thing.

Back