2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the hops I picked today, almost a bucket full. Would have had the same again, about about 2 months ago but the bine got the seasons confused and stuffed up the crop. At least I got this pickings and by the look I should get one more harvest before it cools down too much.

IMG_1204__1024x768_.jpg

QldKev

Hi Guys,
Can anyone please advise where I can buy a hope rhizome plant in Sydney? I've been searching eBay and google but have not had any luck. I'm hoping to get a mature vine so I can harvest sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Clint

Hi Guys,
Can anyone please advise where I can buy a hope rhizome plant in Sydney? I've been searching eBay and google but have not had any luck. I'm hoping to get a mature vine so I can harvest sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Clint

Ebay or on this forum are good places to start.

Most hops are starting to slow down and die back this time of year, transferring energy back into the rhizome for winter dormancy, give it say 6 months, and there should be plenty of hops ready to split.

Unless brewers are ripping them out of the ground and fridging them - if that is the case then there could be some available within a month or so?

My 2 cents:

Grabbed some rhizomes last year from some members on here and also a more commerical source. Didn't get a whole lot off this year (first year, not fussed, only about 500g wet from 5 plants) but was enough to make a monster wet hop IPA. We are drinking the results now, and we are very pleased. Very very pleased. We bought pellets for the bittering but used only the flowers at 10 min, 0 min and dry hopping. A real ******* mix of Chinook, Perle, POR and Mt Hood. So impressed are we that we are designing a new trellis (knew they were going to grow big, but not that big!) and looking to score some more rhizomes during winter.

All I am saying is that if you are looking to give your homebrew another edge, then go for it, grab some rhizomes and get growing. Can't wait for next year.

ok final totals for the year.
mt hood 202g
hallertau 190g
wurtenburger 345g
chinook 327g
thats nearly a kg dry.
im looking forward to more of a harvest next year.

Brewed with my limited harvests today.

Bittered my Aussie Sparkling Ale with 30g POR commercial hops then chucked in my Chinook and POR flowers (26g all up) with 5min to go.

Caught some of the historic brewday on camera:

IMG_1432__Large_.jpg IMG_1434__Large_.jpg

IMG_1444__Large_.jpg IMG_1457__Large_.jpg

IMG_1464__Large_.jpg

Will increase hop garden next year as I enjoyed growin' em. Hope they taste good too! :icon_cheers:

PB

Anyone in Brisbane who wants a free POR rhizome, PM me for pick up only (from Wellington Point). I bought it online last season (around Sept 09), and got an ok first year crop. But it's too much work for me (i.e watering, etc).

Anyone in Brisbane who wants a free POR rhizome, PM me for pick up only (from Wellington Point). I bought it online last season (around Sept 09), and got an ok first year crop. But it's too much work for me (i.e watering, etc).

You're not planning on digging it now are you, Brando?
Leave it till August, mate.

You're not planning on digging it now are you, Brando?
Leave it till August, mate.

It'll stay in the pot for now, but I aint watering it anymore, nor caring for it. So if a better home comes along, then off it goes.

so whats the general idea for the plants? I see you suggest to dig up in august..

Dig up and store where? and then when is the best time to plant?

so whats the general idea for the plants? I see you suggest to dig up in august..

Dig up and store where? and then when is the best time to plant?

If you arent transplanting it or digging it up to give away, sell etc leave them in the ground where it wants to be. The longer they are in the ground the bigger your crop. If you keep digging it up every year you will have the typical first year plant crop.

im going to transplant it to my parents house...

I'm yet to plant mine as I'm not sure where would be best at the new house since I got them from Nev @ Gryphon over a month ago. Small plants with a few shoots on each. Is it worth planting them in the garden somewhere and should I worry about stringing them up? First time of dealing with hop plants so not really sure what to do.

Not sure if this has been discussed previously but How have people noticed the difference in taste/aroma/bittering from their home grown hops to the commercially available alternative.

I would think freshness would be a bit factor for one, my local HBS doesn't have their hops in the fridge, they are sealed etc but you wonder when they were grown (and where)

I am sure that there must be some serious differences with people having different soil types, growing in Albany vs Brisbane, how much fertiliser etc people use.

I am planning to grow a couple of different varieties this year for the first time so curiosity will probably drive me to do a couple of split batches to find out for myself, but waiting til next year is a bit long to wait to find out so if anyone has some experience in this...................?

Hi All,

I bought my first 2 rhizomes from Boston last year......A Chinook and a POR. :icon_cheers:

I think I they were about 15cm long and I planted them in October.

I realised after my first growing season that I had planted them too close together (maybe 90cm apart).

I had fun looking after them and got a small harvest for my first year.

So I was always going to get more varieties and redesign and increase my hop garden.

Have a look at the POR I dug up today and transplanted to a new location (1 season - 8 months ago).

I was a bit surprised. :eek:

IMG_1607__Large_.jpg

Soil Prep for the transplant:

IMG_1606__Large_.jpg

Transplant Complete:

IMG_1620__Large_.jpg

I also put some freshly cut POR and some freshly purchased rhizomes into pots.....didn't fancy sticking them in the fridge.

IMG_1623__Large_.jpg

Cheers,

PB

I realised after my first growing season that I had planted them too close together (maybe 90cm apart).
I also put some freshly cut POR and some freshly purchased rhizomes into pots.....didn't fancy sticking them in the fridge.
I thought that commercial growers usually planted about 1m apart, but I guess they are growing identical plants and so if they spread a bit close to each other it does not really matter.
I know I found a bit over over-lap when digging up the rhizomes last weekend, but it was still easy enough to identify which plant was which.

If you put them in pots, are you sure they won't warm up too early and start growing too early in the season (not that I have much idea bout growing hops in QLD).

If you're planting them for next year, maybe it's time to make a "2010 Hop Plantation" thread. ;)

If you put them in pots, are you sure they won't warm up too early and start growing too early in the season (not that I have much idea bout growing hops in QLD).

If you're planting them for next year, maybe it's time to make a "2010 Hop Plantation" thread. ;)
Wolfy,

Your exactly right - I don't really know what the best method is.

Only what I have read. So I'm going to learn from experience. :icon_cheers:

AND...It seems you can:

1. Leave in ground until next growing season.....I'm doing that with my Chinook.
2. Transplant to a new location anytime.....I'm doing that with POR (mainly cos they were planted too close).
3. Dig up (or get buy/obtain from someone else) and keep whole crown or rhizome cutting in fridge until spring...then plant...Might try this with the Hallertau rhizome from you. :)
4. Grow up in pots to get a head-start on the growing season...negating the "stick in the fridge" method..I'm doing that with Mt Hood and Cascade from AHB members and my own POR cuttings.

By next year I should know a bit more about our mate Mr Hop and growing them in QLD at least.

I'm all ears for other ideas too......hit me with em people,

Cheers,

PB

Edit: I can't start a 2010 Hop Plantation thread yet.....All I've got is some sticks and a shedload of dirt.

Just noticed that 3 of my plants (2x Tettnang, 1x POR) have started growing again after some crazy weather up here (rain for a couple of days, 27C for a couple, and now 60mm rain again). All are in pots. The Chinook has shown no signs of movement however.

Was planning on transplanting into the ground next month, but not sure wether I should do it now, or wait. Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Just noticed that 3 of my plants (2x Tettnang, 1x POR) have started growing again after some crazy weather up here (rain for a couple of days, 27C for a couple, and now 60mm rain again). All are in pots. The Chinook has shown no signs of movement however.

Was planning on transplanting into the ground next month, but not sure wether I should do it now, or wait. Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Out of 5 plants in pots, 4 are up. The Goldings has about 10 shoots, the Cascade (which did bugger-all last season) has leaves, and the Hallertau is sprouting as well. One of the Perles is the only one sensible. Miserable damp day today.

Answer to your question Nick - dunno (sorry).

Back