2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm troubled. I don't think my Goldings hop plant is in fact a Goldings. The hop cones are very much open, and they really don't have that much aroma. I've used golding hops before, (from a farm up derwent park), and my golding don't look or smell anything like those ones.

are there any sites that have photo's of hop cone charateristics/descriptions of each variety? I tried a breif google search without any luck.

I'm at work atm and I'll post photo's when I get back home

Can anyone please help?

Good news is that one of my first year plants has just over 400g wet. The other variety has hardly any flowers at all. Bad news is I dont know which one is the goldings and which one is the fuggles. Can anyone tell by these photos?
Plant 1
Plant_1.JPG
Plant_1__Drying.JPG
Plant_1__In_Hand.JPG

Plant 2 A few small cones
Plant_2__Hops.JPG

Plant 2- Close up of leaves
Plant2_Leaves.JPG

Thanks

1.2kg dry :beerbang:

Jaysus mate, you need to teach us all.

My chinook is a 3rd year and if i am lucky i might get 1kg dry and its a bloody forest and a weed.

Spill the beans!

With hops, my observation is that it is more about growing region rather than anything else. My 6th year chinook has yielded more than 10kg wet per year since year 2. I live in SE NSW. It is very vigorous and I feed it rarely (pinch of potash in Feb) and water it regularly. It was planted into plenty of composted soil and topped up with mulch every year. Its a regional thing like grape vines I reckon.

Cascade is pumping (1.6kg wet first year) but tettnanger is hopeless (a handful of cones per year - 6th year). Probably depends heavily on country of origin and similarity of yours to that climate.

I'm troubled. I don't think my Goldings hop plant is in fact a Goldings. The hop cones are very much open, and they really don't have that much aroma. I've used golding hops before, (from a farm up derwent park), and my golding don't look or smell anything like those ones.

are there any sites that have photo's of hop cone charateristics/descriptions of each variety? I tried a breif google search without any luck.

I'm at work atm and I'll post photo's when I get back home

They are all very similar, physical appearance and smell will give you nothing!!

A new question guys and sorry in advance if its been answered ini the 35 pages prior.
Q) What do i do once i've harvested my first year Cascade crop. (I live in the SE suburbs Melbourne)?

Thanks,

Simon

A new question guys and sorry in advance if its been answered ini the 35 pages prior.
Q) What do i do once i've harvested my first year Cascade crop. (I live in the SE suburbs Melbourne)?

Thanks,

Simon
make beer with it - badoom tshhh :p

...sorry, not very much help to you - do you meen what to do with the harvest, or with the bines?

Since we are sharing photos.

1st Year Hersbruker

751g weighed harvest. Not bad from a first year rhizome.
Hersbruker_1st_YEAR.jpg

Off to dry on screens.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Since we are sharing photos.

1st Year Hersbruker

751g weighed harvest. Not bad from a first year rhizome.

Off to dry on screens.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete
Well as we're sharing, these are from my first year Pearle rhizomes, got three trays worth all told (as previously mentioned) about 120g dry, not bad considering I'm in Qld and north of Brisbane at that!

pearle_hops_tray1of3.jpg

Also used about 50g of the wet cones <edit: weight is an estimate I just grabbed a handful or two at flame out> for a harvest ale (bittered with Northern Brewer), the cones were added at flame out and about 50% ended up in the fermenter, damn large bore syphon tube! Not!!! So far it smells divine, but it still has a couple of weeks left to finish conditioning in.

make beer with it - badoom tshhh :p

I deserved that :unsure:

...sorry, not very much help to you - do you meen what to do with the harvest, or with the bines?

Yes - what to do with the Bines post harvest ?

Thanks

Simon

I put my plant in late and oh man it sucked... Dont think I feed it enough... I had probs four hops starting to grow.. I touched one and it fell off.. think it got burnt..

better luck next year..

Yes - what to do with the Bines post harvest ?

Thanks

Simon

Either:
1. Leave the bine on the trellis to allow the rhizome to draw back energy from the plant for the winter - this also allows for any additional late flowering if weather conditions get weird! I Left mine up last year till all the leavess had dried up and withered. Then trimmed the bines back to gorund level. Covered in mulch and moved them under the pergola (they were in pots at the time).
2. Bury one of the bines in the ground or a series of pots (making sure the end of the bine is out of the ground) - this will encourage the buried section to shoot out roots = future smaller hop plants for fellow brewers.

Either:
1. Leave the bine on the trellis to allow the rhizome to draw back energy from the plant for the winter - this also allows for any additional late flowering if weather conditions get weird! I Left mine up last year till all the leavess had dried up and withered. Then trimmed the bines back to gorund level. Covered in mulch and moved them under the pergola (they were in pots at the time).
2. Bury one of the bines in the ground or a series of pots (making sure the end of the bine is out of the ground) - this will encourage the buried section to shoot out roots = future smaller hop plants for fellow brewers.

Thats awesome thanks.

If i was looking to move them from one spot in the ground to another, when is the best time to do this?

Cheers

Simon

I am only seeing my Goldings for their first time in two years... it looks like I am better getting them from East Kent.

My flowers are more open and 'delicate' than other more nuggety/downward facing varieties. I have not seen a fuggle flower though. Your description and the following post photos really match my Golding flowers, which also have a very muted aroma compared to everything else.

ED: also Fraser John's video shows the structure of a Goldings cone, and they also have the 'open' curly little 'petal' bits (I know they are not petals).

I am only seeing my Goldings for their first time in two years... it looks like I am better getting them from East Kent.

My flowers are more open and 'delicate' than other more nuggety/downward facing varieties. I have not seen a fuggle flower though. Your description and the following post photos really match my Golding flowers, which also have a very muted aroma compared to everything else.

ED: also Fraser John's video shows the structure of a Goldings cone, and they also have the 'open' curly little 'petal' bits (I know they are not petals).

The flowers from my Goldings are definately more open (like an old pine cone) than the other varieties i have grown and the plant as a whole has turned out to be high yielding. Also the main bines are quite red in comparison to the light green of all the other varieties.

Just picked 45g of Mthood and the Tettnang has produced a couple but they are not worth picking i think i will just let this one dye back this year and see what kind of root system it has for next season.

Kleiny

Running totals

Chinook 4.75kg wet, 835g dry.
Cascade 375g wet, 70g dry.
Goldings 265g wet, 60g dry
Victoria 275 wet, 80g dry.

Still to pick the POR.

nice work m8 im planning 2 do the same this weekend

Since we're sharing photos. Here are my six (first year) plants in the Otways.

The Goldings seems to have been attacked by something, so no joy there. I've harvested the Hallertau Hersbrucker already, but the Cascades and Tardiff are waiting for Easter. I think I've left it a little late (cones are drying out) but hopefully I should still be able to get something from them. I hope so, 'cos the G&G was out of Cascades when I bought the malt..... :(

Oh well, there's always next year! At least I've got a better idea of what I'm doing.

DSCN0295.JPG DSCN0288.JPG DSCN0237.JPG

Back