2008 Sa Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed mine yesterday. Smacked the pack of 1469 just before doughing in and it was ready to burst just before i pitched it 4-5 hours later.

This morning the airlock is doing some rapid fire belching so my aeration must have been up to scratch. Didnt make a starter as i picked up the yeast on Friday but will harvest the yeast cake and save it. Bought 2 packs so i have some Gen 0 in reserve.

Almost missed the flameout addition as i found it very hard to remove my nose from the pack of Styrian plugs........ :icon_drool2:

So DrSmurto's Publican is on its way to the case swap with a free sample of 1469 in every bottle. :super:

As with Mike's comments about ester production, this is fermenting at 22-24C so hopefully its chock full of estery goodness. It should cool down to 20-22C over the next 24h.

The other half will now be travelling with me to the swap, and also I will try to bring a keg of something.

I will most likely have-

1- The case beer (hallertauer pale ale)
2- Robust Porter

You guys can tell me which one you prefer.

The pale ale for sure. Dont really want to be drinking anything that dark and chewy in the heat.

Unlike BYBs bar, my air conditioner is there for looks only, 18 months and i still havent got the thing working. Any sparkies/fridgies want to have a shot? I pay in beer. A keg of my golden ale?

I have a 3 tap font so happy to allow others to put there beers on tap (well, i will have a few kegs but will only take 1 tap) if they want to bring kegs. BYB is bringing his temprite and i have 2 picnic taps.

I am hoping the infamous kegs on a sack truck will be making an appearance......

I am hoping the infamous kegs on a sack truck will be making an appearance......
I have a wheeled esky that fits a corny keg + picnic tap + CO2 bottle = semi-portable beer supply. I'll bring whatever beer I have kegged at the time.

i'm planning on bringing a keg and a picnic tap, possibly sodastream co2 supply if needed. but yeah, how much room's in your fridge?

+1 on bringing a keg. Something nice and English, low ABV, easy drinking....

Keg fridge will hold 4 kegs, conditioning fridge will hold another 2. Can sneak 2 in the fermenting* fridge.

Also have 2 keg holders purpose built to hold a keg and a bag of ice.

The more the merrier :icon_drunk:

* fermenting fridge is dead so is cooled with 2 x 2L bottles of ice rotated as needed. Currently holding 8C.

Reading the list of what everyone is bringing and its looking very VERY impressive. :beerbang:

Craig - very keen to taste your White Shields IPA, i've been meaning to brew one and i have a pack of 1026 ready and waiting (altho i may be cheap and just build up the sample you supply in the bottle!)

37 days to go...... :party:

Still shit's me that i'm not going to make it this year(by 2 days) look's like it is going to be a good night. still have to bottle my beer yet looks like it will have a best after date on it

Reading the list of what everyone is bringing and its looking very VERY impressive. :beerbang:

Craig - very keen to taste your White Shields IPA, i've been meaning to brew one and i have a pack of 1026 ready and waiting (altho i may be cheap and just build up the sample you supply in the bottle!)

37 days to go...... :party:

Provided you try it with out a cold this time you should be right :p

Will be bottling this within about a week. Hopefully it comes out ok. Was one of those brew days. I will test in a couple of weeks. if it is less than good, I will re-brew it and just have to put a best after date on it.

Looking forward to the big day. Be a good chance to get some sleep. :p

Cheers

Mine will possibly have a best after as well, I'll have spare bottles done so will check one (or two) a day or two before the swap to see if it's ready. I've had to delay brewing on the swap beer in order to brew one for myself. I call it "This was meant to be a single batch for the case swap, but seeing as how I knocked the hopper off halfway through milling, and spilled grain all over dirty concrete to get mixed in with twigs and leaves and dirt and shit, and even though I'm not above consuming things off of the floor it's not really appropriate to brew that up for strangers to take home so I'll start again and turn this one into a mega size partial batch for myself instead Ale."

:lol:

Next case swap we should impose a penalty on people with best after dates! :)

We keep organising it well in advance to try and have everything ready and look what bloody happens! Oh yeah, I haven't brewed mine either yet :eek:

Butters: You bottling that in Magnums to fit the label on? hehe

Just wondering if there are any designated drivers/better halves driving back towards the city saturday arvo/eve? If there is I would be very keen to get a little car-pooling going, I will happily pay for petrol and throw in some extra brews if anyone can hook me up with some transport to and from. Would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Chops

Butters: You bottling that in Magnums to fit the label on? hehe

:D
no mate, that one is going into kegs. If it wasn't for the fact that someone wanted me to roast grain for my case swap beer, I would have just weighed out fresh grain and brewed it straight away. ;) English should be drunk fairly young anyway, so it should be fine. I'd be doing it on Saturday, but I have a cherry to bust....Muckey is coming over to the dark side.

Was one of those brew days. I will test in a couple of weeks. if it is less than good, I will re-brew it and just have to put a best after date on it.

Cheers

You are cutting it find arent you. Just wait until the extra small pair of hands arrive ;) Mine is still currently fermenting. A few days to go then rack and dry hop with Styrian plugs. Smell quite nice atm. Nice bit of malt aroma with that ESB bitterness. Should be nice to pull this one through a beer pump.

Back Yard Brewer......

I will make sure my senses are ready for your beer Craig!

Cant believe you are blaming someone else for your clumsy behaviour Butters...... :rolleyes:

This best after date could be controversial! My beer will be racked mid next week, hit with some gelatine to clear it and will be bottled soon after. 2 weeks carb up and it will be ready. OG 1.047 english bitter so drink em young and fresh.

Will be taking a bottle of the version made with wyeast 1968 to the BBC meet tonight to get some feedback.

Latest posts

Back