2008 Sa Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets just hope the weather aint a stinker :mellow:
With a full septic, the weather might not be the only stinker!!!

I'm planning to bottle my contribution this weekend, bulk-prime and bottle condition is the way I'm going. I just kegged a basic hefeweizen last night and it is lovely. What a great beer to make, a week to ferment, a few days of CC'ing and into the keg she goes!

Is there a firm plan for provision of food yet? I hate to say it, but does there need to be another column on the wiki? I'm sure everyone is keen to contribute but if everyone brings 2 or 3 kg of meat each it may be a bit much (especially if the septic is maxed-out.....) :icon_cheers:

Too much food? At a case swap? :lol:

Next thing you will be worrying about an over supply of beer......

I will sort out the dips/nibbles etc but as long as everyone brings their share we should have no issues. I know a few people will be bringing extras but its a long day so i envision constant grazing rather than a sit down meal.

And while i remember, bring a chair.

Dont worry bigh, septic WILL be fixed by then.

No worries that's cool, I'm up for a bit of grazing. I have absolutely no doubt that there WILL be an oversupply of beer.........

If oxidation is an issue try air freeing the bottle with Co2. Ideally if you know someone in the wine industry :rolleyes: you may be able to scam some dry ice. A little bit in the bottom is all that is needed prior to filling. Fill from the bottom up and things should be fine.
haha force carb in a bottle?
-fill bottle with beer
-add some dry ice
-quickly cap
-dive for cover, wait
-if fine, place in 'unexploded' pile

haha force carb in a bottle?
-fill bottle with beer
-add some dry ice
-quickly cap
-dive for cover, wait
-if fine, place in 'unexploded' pile

Not exactly what I had in mind but if it works for you :eek:

Fill from the bottom up with beer that has already been carbonated.

BYB

Can Rudy, GreggJ and Paul_Steele please confirm they are actually making a beer for this swap?

No action from the 3 of you for a while now.

Does anyone know these ppl?

I am in contact with Rhenton so thats all good.

With the food - how is the selection going - do we have a wiki on the food as to who is bringing what.

Hi All,
Havent brewed for a while due to work, sorry will have to pull out of this one.
Cheers
Gregg J

Can Rudy, GreggJ and Paul_Steele please confirm they are actually making a beer for this swap?

No action from the 3 of you for a while now.

Does anyone know these ppl?

I am in contact with Rhenton so thats all good.

I have several beers, haven't decided what I'll submit yet but I'll have a case for sure. I have an English Brown / Mild sort of thing that is quite tasty. The Dunkel I made is nice but not exactly what I planned. I have an APA with Horizon and Cascade, I'm racking it and dry hopping it over the weekend. It will be carbonated in time, I'll go with this if it's balanced. I have a German Lager with Tettnanger, ready to bottle in 2 weeks, but that would have a best after date. I made this before but with Nelson Sauvin, turned out ok. I also have a Wit but the sample I tried has a touch too much orange.

So yeah haven't decided what I'll submit but I have beer and it will all be in glass long necks :) Food I'm not sure on yet though!

Have updated the wiki.

Gregg - if you are free on the day you are more than welcome to rock up and join in the fun. There are quite a few people turning up who aren't in the swap. Chance to meet other brewers, talk beer, drink beer..... :lol:

Kenny - food is pretty much up to you (altho if you bring a few kg of barossa's finest bacon then you dont need to bring anything else!). There will be several bbqs (both regular and charcoal) and a smoker so meat to go on these is the go (any vegos let me know - happy to clean bbq beyond its normal reheating/oil treatment and allow to cook first).

I have an army of sauce varieties, from plain tom sauce up to Megadeath and everything in between.

Will grab nibbles, dips, plenty of bread etc so its mainly just BYO meat. If you can bring a salad that would be very helpful.

Butters made a good point -
My kegging system has 3 taps. I will put a beer on one but will leave the other 2 to rotate the several kegs that people are bringing. My system is set up for english beers. Its balanced to about 1.6-1.8 vol of CO2 at 8-9degC. The lines are short (~1m) so i get low carb but still get a nice big head on the beer. Should be ok to connect up kegs that a carbed higher for the day. Other option is picnic taps of which i have access to 2. Can easily pour from these and then give a squirt with more CO2 should pressure drop too much. Also have 2 x metal drums that have been constructed by a mate to hold a corni and a bag of ice plus water. Used then on a camping trip and they work very well.

BYB is bringing along his real ale handpump but that will be setup to pour his keg of ESB and being his new toy wont really be there for people to crank away willy nilly. If we finish his keg (and i suspect we will) then anything else english can be hooked up altho it may be safer to stop using it as the night progresses....... not that i have a habit of breaking things much.

BYB is also bringing the miracle box that was used at the july swap at his place. I dont think there will be a shortage of beer dispensing apparatus......

And finally - Boston - if you could drop by sometime and show me what i am doing wrong with my cuttings from my monster chinook plant that would be ace. My plan was to have several cuttings for people to take on the day but so far all i am doing is making these cuttings suffer a fairly rapid death (i cut, dip in growth hormone and plant as per any other cutting)

28 days to go.

Cheers
DrSmurto

p.s bigh - septic is being emptied on Monday in preparation..... and my partners old man has agreed to take a look at the air con.

Hi All,
Havent brewed for a while due to work, sorry will have to pull out of this one.
Cheers
Gregg J

Sorry to hear, but that is fantastic :super:

I bottled my case swap yesterday and have only got 22 longy's + a stubbie. It smelt fantastic in the bottle. I reckon that 1 Styrian plug for dry hopping did the trick. Lets just hope the ESB that I currently have for kegging turns out the same :icon_drool2:

Back Yard Brewer.

Yeah, am cutting it fine myself. At rack there was a shade over 18L.......

Forgot to remind people that a chair is needed. There is plenty of lawn to sit on.

Also, if anyone has a laptop and a wireless connection to keep AHB updated on our shenanigans (Criag falling asleep) etc then do so. i only have dialup and an old desktop inside the house.

Pics of lawn and bar for a taster.

backyard.jpg

DSCF1269.jpg

And the bar as setup by previous owners. I asked for the pokie machine to be left but no deal.

bar.jpg

Yeah, am cutting it fine myself. At rack there was a shade over 18L.......

Forgot to remind people that a chair is needed. There is plenty of lawn to sit on.

Also, if anyone has a laptop and a wireless connection to keep AHB updated on our shenanigans (Criag falling asleep) etc then do so. i only have dialup and an old desktop inside the house.

Pics of lawn and bar for a taster.

bar.jpg

Like the positioning of the dart board. I assume thats for the patrons that can't play darts or for the one that can't stand after having a few jars of your finest. Also I would prefer a bear skin rug.

BYB

Like the positioning of the dart board. I assume thats for the patrons that can't play darts or for the one that can't stand after having a few jars of your finest.

BYB
you see that rug? it's where he collapses after a night on the piss. then the next morning there's a period of about an hour between waking up and being able to stand, and it gets kinda booring, hence the dart board.

that's my theory and i'm sticking to it :p

love the shot drinking straight out the tap....good to see University education hasn't gone to waste. :lol:

I expect the photos from the case swap will easily put these to shame even if a certain pink appendage is banned from all swaps.

Bloke on the right drinking from a tap is a good mate who welded up the keg drums that will appear on the day.

I do have a pic of my barney impression - lying on the bar with head under the taps but didnt want ppl to get the wrong idea about me..... :icon_drunk:

well, you kept THAT one well hidden.............I'll bring wireless connection with me....and camera :D

well, you kept THAT one well hidden.............I'll bring wireless connection with me....and camera :D

Might be better on 6x6 rollfilm, so I'll make sure to bring my camera, as well. Maybe with some IR film to accentuate the pinkness. :lol:

And finally - Boston - if you could drop by sometime and show me what i am doing wrong with my cuttings from my monster chinook plant that would be ace. My plan was to have several cuttings for people to take on the day but so far all i am doing is making these cuttings suffer a fairly rapid death (i cut, dip in growth hormone and plant as per any other cutting)
Will do, I will drop by tomorrow afternoon.

Might be better on 6x6 rollfilm, so I'll make sure to bring my camera, as well. Maybe with some IR film to accentuate the pinkness. :lol:

you have a TLR?

i plan on bringing my 300d DSLR with the nifty 50mm for some shallow depth of field drunkenness artistic fun :p

Latest posts

Back