2008 Sa Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ah yes, 'Smurtiatis' where the charge of one's hands are the same as glass creating a repulsive force between hand a glass. in extreme cases, where the supply of glasses has been exhausted, sufferers have been forced to drink straight from the tap. :p

i can bring a bunch of your garden variety pint glasses if you want. the el chepo type i was using at BYB's July gig.

If you could Mike that would be a big help.

ANyone for a bucket o beer?

View attachment 22626

I may opt for a smaller glass size this time around :)

I'm sure I'll find something for myself and maybe a few others.

It's a boy!

Image139.jpg

My altbier is now named "ALT-F4"... for "exiting" the fermenter.

Krausen was an inch high yesterday morning.. three inches high yesterday afternoon and it appeared to stop growing last night. I was wrong!

It's now racked... in a vessel with a blow off tube :)

well, my recipe is up for those interested, here's hoping it actually tastes ok. not long now!

anyone else think this year's flown by?

Not adding recipes to the DB, i have one there and its done ok so will quit while ahead. :rolleyes:

I have posted my Landlord recipe a few times before - Linky

The latest version contains 1% choc malt to adjust the colour.

Hit it with gelatine a few days ago and will bottle this weekend.

Only decision to make is glass or plastic? ;)

Wont start a poll about this but was after peoples preference as to what keg of mine starts off on tap.

I am leaning towards the Alt or Dunkel instead of the golden ale. But then there is BenHs german lager from last xmas case swap or the oktoberfest which will be racked and start lagering this weekend.

EDIT - dodgy link fixed

Well unless I can work something out it looks like my swap beer will be / is a fizzer :( Bottled it last week after it had been fermenting near on two weeks. I thought it had finished, aparrantly not :excl: I am brewing this week-end but I can't see it being finished in time and besides this week-end was going to be my Xmas day beer. Irish Red Ale. I will still be present to work with the festivities.

BYB

BYB, don't tell me you got bombs :eek: ......is it salvageable at all?

Well unless I can work something out it looks like my swap beer will be / is a fizzer :( Bottled it last week after it had been fermenting near on two weeks. I thought it had finished, aparrantly not :excl: I am brewing this week-end but I can't see it being finished in time and besides this week-end was going to be my Xmas day beer. Irish Red Ale. I will still be present to work with the festivities.

BYB
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I have struck Paul Steele off the list as he hasnt replied to my PMs so lets assume he isnt joining in or attending?

So by my count that 22 swappers, 21 longies needed (assuming BYB hasnt been killed by flying schrapnel - can you chill all the beer down till swap day? or do what i did with an overcarbed pilsner and uncap them all, let them volcano for 5 mins and then recap)

Bottled mine on Saturday and primed real low. 5g/L low. Prob too low in hindsight but i do love a low carbed pommy bitter so inflicting on all of you! 25 longies so will be able to test it a few days prior to see if it passes the test.

Just put the Munich Dunkel on tap, double decoction. Mmmmmmmmmmalty! I reckon that might have to be one we sample on the day. :party:

Bottled mine on Saturday and primed real low. 5g/L low. Prob too low in hindsight but i do love a low carbed pommy bitter so inflicting on all of you! 25 longies so will be able to test it a few days prior to see if it passes the test.

Just walked in from bottling mine....I decided to make it real fizzy, cos getting a good head out the bottle is a bugger....5.2g/L :lol:
And for someone so obsessed with numbers, I can't believe I forgot to take myself off the list when working out how many longies I needed...Oh, well, it's an extra sampler, then.

Oh good - cant wait till you and butters get together - I'll remember my ear plugs then :rolleyes:

Theres always one on every bus.....

Dr S, I wouldn't call 5g/L low in carbonation. I have found it to be too high (for my tastes anyway)when using that amount for English beers in bottles. I have settled on 3.5g/L now.

C&B
TDA

I'm not coming now ... I'm too ashamed of my latest effort at AG .. no not really .. well yes that's true ... but I'm not coming because I have this "Ride Like Crazy" thing to train for and so I have to put in the kms that day. Does that sound pathetic? Yeah it does to me too.

Dr S, I wouldn't call 5g/L low in carbonation. I have found it to be too high (for my tastes anyway)when using that amount for English beers in bottles. I have settled on 3.5g/L now.

C&B
TDA

Yeah, but do you brew cool, or warm?....residual CO2 makes a big difference. Brew warm to push the esters, and you need more sugar to prime. ;) And serving temp plays a factor, as well. Higher temp means slightly higher carb level required, or it will all kick out too soon, before the head stabalises, and leave you with a weak head. I've found 2vol to be right, without a beer engine to force a stable head. I've gone to 2.1 for the swap beer, for this reason.

I'm not coming now ... I'm too ashamed of my latest effort at AG .. no not really .. well yes that's true ... but I'm not coming because I have this "Ride Like Crazy" thing to train for and so I have to put in the kms that day. Does that sound pathetic? Yeah it does to me too.

I just had a look on google maps. 31.3km from Stirling to Mt Torrens, one way, 62.6km return. How many km's do you need? A few people may need a dink home, so you could be the official taxi bike. You will get plenty of km's in.... :D

Yeah, but do you brew cool, or warm?....residual CO2 makes a big difference. Brew warm to push the esters, and you need more sugar to prime. ;) And serving temp plays a factor, as well. Higher temp means slightly higher carb level required, or it will all kick out too soon, before the head stabalises, and leave you with a weak head. I've found 2vol to be right, without a beer engine to force a stable head. I've gone to 2.1 for the swap beer, for this reason.
That is taking the ferment temperature into account old cock!
But thanks for the lesson anyway ;)

C&B
TDA

C&B
TDA

All those hundreds of bottles you've primed must have been mere accidents TDA? Hand in your mash tun! :ph34r: :lol:

Warren -

C&B
TDA

I never meant to imply that this is something you didn't know; I was sure that you did. I was just pointing out that as ferment and serving temp needs to be considered, one mans 5g is another mans 4.........

Back