2008 Sa Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering if there are any designated drivers/better halves driving back towards the city saturday arvo/eve? If there is I would be very keen to get a little car-pooling going, I will happily pay for petrol and throw in some extra brews if anyone can hook me up with some transport to and from. Would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Chops
My driver and I will be heading back sometime probably around 4-5ish. PM me if you're interested.

was somebody drinking whilst milling grain perhaps...... :chug:

wasn't there to witness it but the 2 fermenters in my brew fridge prove that no permanent damage was done :icon_drool2:

was somebody drinking whilst milling grain perhaps...... :chug:

Actually, I think it was more a case of not drinking whilst milling...I think I angered Aegor by drinking coffee instead of beer whilst performing a brew related activity. :lol:

Mine will be ready to drink at the swap, havnt tried it yet myself.

Mine will be ready at the swap, The Oasis Pale Ale swap beer is delicious, with Pacific Gem flowers by the bucketload, with 10gm every 5 minutes from 60 minutes to flameout, then another whole 100gm at flameout :D ............think sticky toffee & pineapple :D .....

Brewed my pet project today, Paddington's Brolly English Pale Ale but this time I used the 1469 West Yorkshire Ale yeast in it.......I'll have a keg of it with me on the day.

Mine will be ready at the swap, The Oasis Pale Ale swap beer is delicious, with Pacific Gem flowers by the bucketload, with 10gm every 5 minutes from 60 minutes to flameout, then another whole 100gm at flameout :D ............think sticky toffee & pineapple :D .....

thats a LOT of hops. I like :D what size batch was this?

I actually brewed my beer! yayes! My pale ale is fermenting as I type. A few hiccups along the way, though they were overcome, and it tastes quite nice going into the fermenter. My friend commented that it looks a little dark for a pale ale- it's a somewhat amber colour rather than the lighter colour normally associated with pale ales, but... well, I have an inibility to stick to style.

Just an update: Brewed 40ltrs of the ESB that I currently have in bottle for the swap. Intend bringing 1 keg / 18ltrs along for tasting. That is if things go to plan and I don't consume it all by then :chug:

BYB

Well, I brewed the Sav Lager on the weekend which went fine.

The problem was I decided to install a latch to my 500+L lager/conditioning fridge so it would seal better. On the last screw some how it hit the gas pipe and gas went everywhere. Why the line is going up the front side I will never know.

Anyway the fridge is dead and I have had to move 3 lagering kegs into my fermentation fridge, which has left me with a cube full of beer and no where to ferment. Leaving it this late and not even starting fermentation little own lagering, means this will not be my swap beer :(

So, I have another lager I made a few weeks ago lagering in a keg which I will use for the swap.

It is carbonated already, so what is the easiest way to transfer to the glass 750ml bottles (without a Counter-Pressure Bottle Filler).

I have a picnic tap which I have connected to the usual coopers kit bottle filler, drop serving pressure right down, chill the bottles, fill to top and cap?

any help would be appreciated, as the beer is for you guys. :)

Youngy

I bottle regularly from a tap - BenH showed me how easy it is to do.

If the beer is carbed, vent the keg. Turn the gas reg on so it only just dribbles out of the tap.

Pour into pre-chilled and sanitised bottles.

Seal immediately.

My case swap in July contribution was done this way, no fancy counter flow thingamy.

You do risk oxidation which is why i pour extremely slowly and fill it to the top.

If you are worried about oxidation, do it the day before the swap and label it with a huge DRINK IT NOW sticker.

Took a few samples along to the BBC meeting on Friday night and didnt get any comments about oxidation (altho i had only poured the beer a few hours prior)

The hop cuttings may not eventuate as i am proving to be a shite gardener. The cuttings i took, dipped in growth hormone and planted in pots have died a painful death. Not sure what else i am supposed to do?

Does anyone know a sparky who would be willing to work for beer. My bar is a single car garage and has a split system air con which isnt working for some reason. Need to get it fixed before as it gets bloody hot in there. That and an issue with a full septic tank......

Youngy

If you do it the way smurto reccomends, still go through the bottler, then you can fill from the bottom up. ;) Just make sure everything, including the bottles, is cold to prevent foaming.

Edit: I normally only bottle this way for going out with, but I had a few leftovers once I decided to leave....3 weeks later, tried it against one straight from the keg....I wasn't blind on the tasting, but Muckey was. Neither of us picked any difference, and I actually got distracted and got my 2 mixed up, and still couldn't work out which was which. :p

So do you mean hooking up the little bottler to a line from your keg?? Sounds like a good idea

I use a picnic tap as my regular tap anyway, cos their cheap, like the budgie....and the bottler fits right on there easy. If I had 'regular' taps, I would probably do it like smurto, straight out the main tap.

So do you mean hooking up the little bottler to a line from your keg?? Sounds like a good idea

i was thinking of taking the valve piece off the bottler and putting the tube downstream of a picnic tap, that way i could fill it completely to the top. for the case swap tho i'll be bottling that tonight and carbing naturally. free yeast! :D

i was thinking of taking the valve piece off the bottler and putting the tube downstream of the tap, that way i could fill it completely to the top. for the case swap tho i'll be bottling that tonight and carbing naturally. free yeast! :D

oh yeah, forgot to mention, take the valve off. :huh:

Not sure yet if I'll be priming or bottling off keg...will work that out when I come to it. I've been seriously considering changing to the yorkie yeast, and seeing as how some others are bottling using that anyway...and given that times running out......

You do risk oxidation which is why i pour extremely slowly and fill it to the top.

If you are worried about oxidation, do it the day before the swap and label it with a huge DRINK IT NOW sticker.

Does anyone know a sparky who would be willing to work for beer. My bar is a single car garage and has a split system air con which isnt working for some reason. Need to get it fixed before as it gets bloody hot in there. That and an issue with a full septic tank......

If oxidation is an issue try air freeing the bottle with Co2. Ideally if you know someone in the wine industry :rolleyes: you may be able to scam some dry ice. A little bit in the bottom is all that is needed prior to filling. Fill from the bottom up and things should be fine.

C'mon Smurto you must have some contact to fix that Aircon :( How long has it been like that. Lets just hope the weather aint a stinker :mellow:

BYB

C'mon Smurto you must have some contact to fix that Aircon :( How long has it been like that. Lets just hope the weather aint a stinker :mellow:

BYB

Been here for more than 18 months and still havent fixed it!

Racked my case beer last night and its now cold conditioning. Will bottle in 2 weeks, allow 2 weeks to carb up and it will be ready to drink asap (altho as always, patience will be rewarded).

Had a few pints last night of the wyeast 1968 ESB version which was dry hopped. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Latest posts

Back