2008 Sa Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No thoughts on brewing on the day at the case swap?

I was thinking i might make a nice big stout that i could age in a keg for 5 months and then bottle as my contribution for the case swap in July next year.......

Basically a suped up version of the Stout that came 1st in ANAWBS.

Stout sounds like the go.
Do you want any larger pots for a double batch?

We have 24 names for the swap, therefore 23 bottles required for the swap plus a couple of taster bottles on the day.
I am thinking if everyone brings an extra bottle along, I will run a lucky door prize for the day.
Here's the rules:
- Not compulsary, this is just for fun
- For every bottle you add, you get a ticket in the draw
- No limit on the number of 750ml bottles you can enter (must be different though)
- Non 'swappers', partners and ring ins, can enter; they can bring a bottle of their best (K+K allowed), or something interesting from the bottle shop (330ml for shop bought allowed)
- Bottles in the draw will be divide into 4 or 6 packs, depending on number of bottles, or winner takes all. We can decide on the day.
If there is not enough interest, we will just drink them on the day instead. :D

Sounds like a good idea to me. Count me in for a bottle or 2.

SO Boston, whats the prize?

And how many entries do i get for 2-3 kegs? B)

German Pilsner went down today. Aiming to ferment it for 2 wweks and then lager it till the swap.

Recipe is BenH Saucy Wench Lager from last years xmas case swap. MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The prize is all the bottles that were donated for a ticket. So if 20 people put a bottle in each for 20 tickets, there would be 20 bottles up for grabs. Just a raffle for another case swap.

I know i am becoming pedantic (or maybe just more so) but can i ask all the swappers to add next to their beer name whether they will be attending the swap.

Will make catering (salads/bread/sauce/nibbles) easier for me.

Will also be nice to break the news to my partner that its a few more than the dozen people i suggested when agreeing to host this! :D

Cheers
DrSmurto

Stout sounds like the go.
Do you want any larger pots for a double batch?

Hmmm, that sounds like a plan.

Crunching the numbers i could do a 40L batch (split into 2 x 20L with 2 different yeasts - 1275 and 1187 or 1469) if we stuck to a single infusion, no mash out. Not too many issues since its a big stout.

Will need a bigger pot tho, need to boil approx 53-54L and my kettle is only 50L. An 80L pot would do the job. Damn, would also need another electric HLT as mine is only ~25L and we need 36L to mash in! Maybe i will stick to a single batch.....

I also broke my mash paddle on Sunday (coopers spoon)....... a stuck sparge (hose clamp broke), open tap when sparging (lost 5L of first runnings) and major issues draining the wort resulting in it being hurled across the shed.... i thought i learnt my lesson last time i brewed pissed.

Hmmm, that sounds like a plan.

Crunching the numbers i could do a 40L batch (split into 2 x 20L with 2 different yeasts - 1275 and 1187 or 1469) if we stuck to a single infusion, no mash out. Not too many issues since its a big stout.

Will need a bigger pot tho, need to boil approx 53-54L and my kettle is only 50L. An 80L pot would do the job. Damn, would also need another electric HLT as mine is only ~25L and we need 36L to mash in! Maybe i will stick to a single batch.....

I also broke my mash paddle on Sunday (coopers spoon)....... a stuck sparge (hose clamp broke), open tap when sparging (lost 5L of first runnings) and major issues draining the wort resulting in it being hurled across the shed.... i thought i learnt my lesson last time i brewed pissed.

I have a HLT capable of heating 50ltrs. We can either bang a flame under it to really fire it up or use the 2.4kw ellemnt to slowly bring it up. BTW I make 50ltr pre-boils taking this into account one would not need to heat up that much for the sparge. Mash in water then re-heat some more for the sparge, roughly an extra 30ltrs or so, maybe? My kettle is electric as well. But will need a power source from two different power points, circuit breakers. 2.4kw + 1.8kw Can bring along my spiral burner if needed. With some gas of course.

Hang on......... is that Dom I here cantering over the hill B)

BYB

Tee hee, might be safer to keep our distance if you are BUI doctor, don't want to cop a flying mash-tun upside the head, or have you breakin' off a mash paddle in our ass............ :eek: :lol:

I could bring 70L and/or 98L pots, I have individual burners and bottles if required. My gear is not set into a rig at this stage, so could bring any individual items as required. Chiller, pump etc...

well just gassed up a keg of my swap beer and it has come out all right hope that everyone else likes it. Nice easy drinking bright ale good amount of hop flavor and aroma but I guess you'll all get to be its final judges. Now just have to work out if i'm going to bottle it off the kegs or let it gas up in the bottle only used 1056 so guessing that everyone that collects yeast would have it in there stock piles.

Cheers

rusty

Smurto + others... in my infinite wisdom I've changed the attendance system in the articles. a "*" before the number means attending, "x" means not attending and "?" means not sure. I've assumed all those who booked in to stay overnight are attending. This should make it easier to count!

Smurto + others... in my infinite wisdom I've changed the attendance system in the articles. a "*" before the number means attending, "x" means not attending and "?" means not sure. I've assumed all those who booked in to stay overnight are attending. This should make it easier to count!
So... what does a "_" mean? Or would that be too complex for us mere mortals to comprehend?

Could you also let me know (via PM) if you are bringing your other halves so i can give my partner an idea if there will be anyone there capable of holding a conversation that doesn't revolve around beer..... :p

I have removed the link to my street and replaced it with a general link to Mt Torrens.

PM me for the address. I don't want that bloke Corey rocking up with his mates.....

Well my swap is bottled and ready to go thank god because i just found out i will be moving 1st week of december

i topped up a 19L keg and mine's now lagering away. 19L will be enough for 23 bottles so i've got 3L spare in my DIY party keg for sampling.

Latest posts

Back